VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying to do something similar to the 18 second mark of this link(the link takes you to the 18sec mark).
    http://youtu.be/h4VvemTVqdM?t=18s

As you can see the white background and black lines are not interrupted by the transition into the darker real colors. When I overlap or transition the bottom video into the top video track in sony vegas i get a lighter top layer b/c the bottom layer background is covering the product in the top video.

Any thoughts how to overlay the emergence of the real colors on top of the outlined?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by miscguy View Post
    I am trying to do something similar to the 18 second mark of this link(the link takes you to the 18sec mark).
    http://youtu.be/h4VvemTVqdM?t=18s

As you can see the white background and black lines are not interrupted by the transition into the darker real colors. When I overlap or transition the bottom video into the top video track in sony vegas i get a lighter top layer b/c the bottom layer background is covering the product in the top video.

Any thoughts how to overlay the emergence of the real colors on top of the outlined?

This is done with more than 2 layers . It's done by adjusting opacity of each layer individually, not a traditional "transition"

The real bike is rotoscoped out (masked out) on a separate layer, so you can adjust the opacity separately . Since it's rotoscoped/masked out, the background is "transparent" for that layer . It starts with zero opacity (not visible), so only the sketched version of the bike underneath is visible, plus the background grid . As the opacity of layer 1 increases, it "covers up" the sketched bike, leaving the grid pattern in the background intact. This can be done in stages with multiple layers and masks of the "real bike" if you wanted to reveal parts at different rates (e.g. you might reveal the frame faster than the wheels or petals) . You can adjust the full picture background fading in independently (and grid fading out independently) of the foreground object (bike) because everything is on a separate layer

1 rotoscoped bike ("real bike")
    2 sketched bike
    3 grid pattern
    4 full picture
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by miscguy View Post
    Whoops: PDR scooped me.
    Last edited by budwzr; 19th Nov 2014 at 22:34.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I suspect the "real" bike is actually the same 3D model that was used for the "drawing." The whole piece was made in compositing software, there is no actual video used. The model was rendered and "lit" and the grid background was replaced by a still. -- my best guess.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    I suspect the "real" bike is actually the same 3D model that was used for the "drawing." The whole piece was made in compositing software, there is no actual video used. The model was rendered and "lit" and the grid background was replaced by a still. -- my best guess.
    Yes, for that actual example, it was done in keyshot. So you can just render out a matte for any object directly without having to manually roto or keying or that sort of thing
    Quote Quote  
  6. The bike(wire-frame and final) should be a 3DCG rendered out of 3DCG soft with a transparent background. Otherwise it is difficult to match a real bike with something on the sketch board exactly.

The sketching effect can be done in many NLE... or hand-drawn then use the bike as mask.

For the transition of sketched bike-> rendered bike, just layout like what PDR suggested, then fade-out the sketched-bike and at the same time fade-in the rendered bike.
    Stopping development until someone save me from poverty or get me out of Hong Kong...
    Twitter @MaverickTse
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!