VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi - still have much to learn & have a question.

I recorded this with a samsung HD HMX-F90. In HD, 1280x720 @ 8274kbps & 29 frames/second (so says the file properties box).

Does this look a bit blurry? I expected it to be clearer. I havn't done anything to this (encoding-wise) except upload it to youtube & trim it down to a few seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwXUj7WDf_s&list=UU1xLJkYsIPzxHxCt3bs24uA

And - what's with 29 frames? Everything refers to 30 - is 29 a problem?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    We cannot see it, the video is defined as private.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oh! thanks. fixed that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You know, don't you, that YouTube reencodes everything at relatively low bitrates? It doesn't look like that on your computer, does it?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah - I do know that, and yes - it looks pretty much the same on my computer. . .
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well, this one has a bitrate average of about 2500.

And it's 29.97fps. Sometimes it's referred to as 30fps and sometimes, but more rarely, as 29fps.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry to be dumb, but what does that tell me?
    Quote Quote  
  8. For one thing it tells you the YouTube version isn't anywhere near the quality of what you uploaded. As to why your source video is almost as blurry, I haven't a clue. Maybe if you made it available, too, then we could learn more.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh. ok! here. I appreciate your patience!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like it was shot with a tablet, cell phone or cheap low-quality camera. Get a better camera.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't think the samsung HD HMX-F90 was a great camera, but are you saying it's total crap? I do have other files shot with it that don't look quite so bad. . .

Is that really all there is to it? I need a better camera? But then what does HD mean in a camcorder? I thought that implied it would be sharper at the least. . .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You shot indoors with questionable lighting. Your camera compensated by applying Gain + Noise Reduction, which in turns equals Soft Image.

You really should learn the basics of shooting, lighting and settings.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by ccapra View Post
    But then what does HD mean in a camcorder? I thought that implied it would be sharper at the least. . .
    It only tells you the resolution height is greater than 576. Hi-def at a low bitrate is still hi-def, even if it looks like crap. Hi-def shot using a poor quality camera is still hi-def. In short, being hi-def tells you nothing about the quality. YouTube, for example, is full of hi-def videos made from VCD sources and, as you'd expect, they look like they came from VCD. I know nothing about cameras and defer to my betters, such as racer-x.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok - that helps, both racer-x & manono. I am learning. Thanks!
    Quote Quote