VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have some recorded Flv video seminars that I want to convert into a format that is natively viewable by Windows Media Player and ???? whatever Video Player a Mac uses by default and also the least lossless format. I want to burn the seminars on a DVD, so technically I suppose I could have one folder with a format for Windows Media Player and one folder with a format for a Mac if that is the way to keep the best fidelity.

I found a freeware converter at http://www.flv-converter.org/

The possible conversion outputs of this converter are: avi, mpeg-1, mpeg-2, mp4, mov, ipod, psp, iPhone, 3gp

I am sending the dvd to Non-Technical people who either use a Windows PC, a Mac, and probably also own an Iphone or Android phone, though I'm not thinking about the latter two.

If they were technical I would include a copy of the portable VLC media player on the DVD, but it then would probably get too complicated to instruct them on how to run it and view the flv seminar videos.

So I really want to convert the flv's to either a lossless format that both Windows Media Player and the ???Native Video Player on Mac Os (which I have no idea what that is), or convert the flv's to two formats, one format for each machine with the best lossless format. Note that when I say lossless, I really mean I want to convert the flv to a format that does not reduce the fidelity in the original flv (though there really IS no fidelity in the flv, I just don't want to lose any more).

Can anyone tell me what would be a good choice??
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would use mp4. Most mp4s works fine in windows 7 windows media player 12+ and mac os x quicktime player.

What is the video and audio codecs in your flv? You might be able to remux to mp4 directly(no video reconversion). Identify the video and audio codecs using mediainfo or mediainfoxp.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Right now, I'm trying the "Portable FLV Converter v3.5" and converting to mp4, but the resulting file mp4 size is THREE times the flv file size!!!

Here is the MediaInfo Output for one of the FLV files (all are similar):

General
    Complete name :
    Format : Flash Video
    File size : 211 MiB
    Duration : 1h 0mn
    Overall bit rate : 489 Kbps

Video
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : 7
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 400 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Writing library : x264 core 130 r2273 b3065e6
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=1 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=2 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=110 / keyint_min=11 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=10 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=20000 / vbv_bufsize=25000 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Color primaries : BT.601 NTSC
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.601
    Color range : Limited

Audio
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 10
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    AVC video and aac audio should work fine in a mp4 container. So you might don't have to reconvert.

You could try avidemux, open the flv, under video and audio choose copy, under format choose mp4, last save a new video.mp4. It should be the same size. Try play it. The variable frame rate may cause sync problems though.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I will try Avidemux after the flv converter finishes converting the 25 flv's to bloated mp4's.

Unfortunately I don't have a Mac to test Avidemux container conversion to mp4's, only Windows Media Player.

What native program do Mac Os's use for displaying videos????

I also had a suggestion for another freeware that uses the .Net framework: http://www.freemake.com/
    though this requires an installer, I have no idea what algorithm it uses for conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Mac os x uses quicktime player.

Freemake video converter will also reconvert the video. If you really want to reconvert use instead vidcoder or handbrake. Free software with no adware crap. And to keep same size as the source then set bitrate to same as the source. But you will always lose quality by reconverting.

You can also use ffmpeg and mp4box to remux flv to mp4(no reconversion, just change container format). But they are command line tools so might be a bit tricky.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Am a former Microsoft .Net C# developer. Should be able to do command line....
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!