VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello I am new to cameras and I have been doing research on what camera to get for YouTube videos. My videos are going to be indoors, mostly sitting, but who knows eventually I may do some outdoor vloggs as well. I know I will need good light and a tripod. I know my camera will need an audio port for external mic. My budget is not huge, I have saved some and going to ask for the rest as a Christmas present from the whole family. And as this is my first camera I don't want to spend a ton. I have been looking at the Sony HandyCam and the Canon EOS M. Any opinions or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank You!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most cameras today offer quality far above what YouTube can provide, but if you're going to do just videos, then stick to a video camcorder. It's pretty hard to go wrong with Canon, Panasonic or Sony.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If your primary purpose is supposed to be video, use something like the Sony Handycam (or Vixia, etc). If your primary purpose is supposed to be photo, use the Canon EOS M or similar. They overlap a great deal, but still have different core uses.

Even cheapo cams can put out some decent stuff if you follow good production procedures (strong + even lighting, solid/stable support, few background distractions, clear + close audio, etc.).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. I looked at a few camcorders when I was starting my YouTube channel. I had the Canon FS100 SD camcorder and wasn't happy with the quality. The light sensor wasn't very good, and it always looked blurry.

When I was shopping for its replacement, I looked at a couple of videos from people I followed and they all recommended an SLR for video, which was a bit surprising. They all seemed to use the Canon Ti3, but I decided to go with the Nikon D5200 which has a little better resolution but otherwise has similar specs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Most cameras today offer quality far above what YouTube can provide
    I think this comment is misleading if not totally wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJMwDgwLMwY
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!