VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I wanted to connect the computer to my TV in order to use the TV screen as a monitor. My TV has only the components jacks (red,blue and green). No HDMI. I connected my DVI jack on the back of the computer to the TV by using a VGA adaptor and a VGA to YPBPA converter box. At first it worked perfectly, but then it quit after an hour. I thought the converter was defective and I exchanged it. To my surprise, this one doesn't work either.I guess the connection is O.K. because the first one worked, at least for an hour. I get no signal at all on any of the inputs I select on my TV !
    I tried to connect to TV also from the VGA jack of my video card.It doesn't work either.Now even the s-video connection does no longer work. It worked fine before I switched to the VGA converter for better image quality.
    I am really stuck.
    Any comments or suggestions towards the solution of the problem?

Thanks
    Ittiandro
    Quote Quote  
  2. Doesn't look good, it's possible the YPbPr converter was over-driving the TV input. Try unplugging the TV power overnight.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    Doesn't look good, it's possible the YPbPr converter was over-driving the TV input. Try unplugging the TV power overnight.
    My TV is already turned off nights. Do you mean I have to literally unplug it from the electrical outlet as well ( the socket)?

Yhanks

Ittiandro
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ittiandro View Post
    Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    Doesn't look good, it's possible the YPbPr converter was over-driving the TV input. Try unplugging the TV power overnight.
    My TV is already turned off nights. Do you mean I have to literally unplug it from the electrical outlet as well ( the socket)?

Yhanks

Ittiandro
    Yes, he means you should literally unplug theTV from the electrical outlet. Like many electronic devices, your TV is actually in standby/sleep mode when powered off, and some of its electronic components are able to store a little power for a short while even after the TV is unplugged.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post

Yhanks

Ittiandro
    Yes, he means you should literally unplug theTV from the electrical outlet. Like many electronic devices, your TV is actually in standby/sleep mode when powered off, and some of its electronic components are able to store a little power for a short while even after the TV is unplugged.
    Thanks, finally it works after unplugging the TV, not before several attempts, though. Strange!I had been on the right input selection ( components) all along, but for some reasons the PC screen refused to kick in, until all of a sudden it flashed in. Even so, the image and the fonts are very blurry, but readable. I don't mind because this is a secondary computer I only use in an emergency. I assume it is because my TV ( a Panasonic ) is a few years old, even though the TV image quality is excellent with my HD cable terminal.. The computer too( a Dell) is kind of OLD, but fully upgraded with a top video card by my son who is a sound engineer.
    Any suggestions as to how to improve the resolution will be appreciated

Thanks
    Ittiandro
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, finally it works after unplugging the TV, not before several attempts, though. Strange!I had been on the right input selection ( components) all along, but for some reasons the PC screen refused to kick in, until all of a sudden it flashed in. Even so, the image and the fonts are very blurry, but readable. I don't mind because this is a secondary computer I only use in an emergency. I assume it is because my TV ( a Panasonic ) is a few years old, even though the TV image quality is excellent with my HD cable terminal.. The computer too( a Dell) is kind of OLD, but fully upgraded with a top video card by my son who is a sound engineer.
    Any suggestions as to how to improve the resolution will be appreciated

Thanks
    Ittiandro
    If you happen to know the video card's make and model number and the TV's model number, that information might be useful to see if there is a better way to connect the PC to your TV.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!