VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. OK, I have an old 2001 Mitsubishi HD TV and my old cable box had component outputs and worked fine when it plugged in. Xfinity doesn't have component. So, I have the HDMI to Component converter that works fine for my old projector(that only has component) but when I plug it into the TV, I get nothing. Audio comes through the receiver but no picture on the TV. I've looked through the settings on the TV and don't know how to get it working. Do I need optical cable too or something? HELP I don't have money to buy a new TV right now! Yes, my remote has an input button and I have switched to the right input. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Try looking at the settings on the cable box itself through its setup menu. How is it connected to the receiver?

Unless you somehow got hold of some kind of test TV, there weren't any consumer available HDTVs in 2001, so you're probably using the wrong terminology or you are VERY mistaken about the date of your TV. Maybe you have one of those old tube progressive TVs that were available a long time ago, but that's not an HDTV.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well maybe the TV isn't from 2001, but it is HD and has component inputs. Obviously not like anything around these days. The cable box was working fine when it was plugged into a projector I have which also is HD, but also before HDMI was available. None of the settings should have to be changed. It's connected to the receiver with HDMI and that is going out to an HDMI to Component converter box. I wish I could just buy a new tv.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the make and model number for you new XFinity box and your TV's model number?

[Edit] I had another thought. I take it that by "receiver", you mean an audio receiver of some kind. Did you try bypassing the receiver by connecting the XFinity box directly to the HDMI input of the HDMI to Component Converter? Audio receivers are a frequent source of problems with HDMI connections.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Nov 2014 at 14:10.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry. Made a statement that was incorrect so I removed it. My bad.
    Last edited by jman98; 13th Nov 2014 at 14:25. Reason: Mistake
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What component to HDMI converter are you using ?

A link ?

All the ones I have seen usually go from HD Component in to HDMI out so if you have one of those and are using it backwards odds are it probably won't work correctly or on everything if at all.

Plus the comment usually_quiet made is also another good bet, I have had it where when running something through a converter, which I do use for some component to HDMI as my TV only has HDMI inputs, when I ran it through the HDMI plug on my receiver the converter did not seem to work but when I plugged it into my TV directly it worked fine.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yeah, you can find a component -> HDMI converter box easily enough. A true HDMI -> component converter that actually works is much harder to find.

I bought one that didn't work (should have believed the reviews that said so), then found this one that does work:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7GD44A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use it for capturing from Roku to my original Hauppauge HD-PVR.

[EDIT] I see the OP's box works with his projector. Maybe usually_quiet is onto something about routing through the receiver.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does the Mits support 720p? The cable box could be on 720p..... Just a shot in the dark.....

Ran into this on my older 2002 Toshiba... I was playing with the cable box settings and bam all of a sudden had no video, but there was audio. Had to call Comcast and they led me through the box settings till I go the video back. Didn't mess with it after that.

Like I said..... it's just a wild guess.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by The old guy View Post
    Does the Mits support 720p? The cable box could be on 720p..... Just a shot in the dark.....

Ran into this on my older 2002 Toshiba... I was playing with the cable box settings and bam all of a sudden had no video, but there was audio. Had to call Comcast and they led me through the box settings till I go the video back. Didn't mess with it after that.

Like I said..... it's just a wild guess.
    That would be my guess as well. More details about the TV model number, cable box and converter box is needed for a real troubleshooting. If this is a CRT TV chances are that the component input is limited to 480P, you might have to set some DIP switches on the converter box to match and maybe set the cable box to output 480P. At any rate you should check your TV manual for the maximum resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  10. the converter is an HDfuryPro HDMI to YPbPr/VGA. It worked fine on my projector at 720p and the tv is 1080i so I'll have to mess with the settings on the box. Thanks for the input. It's just weird I didn't have to alter any settings when I plugged directly in from the Uverse box I used to have. AH well. I spent $200 on the tv so I'm not too worried. I am just a broke ass trying to enjoy what I got.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe what you have is actually a HD DTA (digital transport adapter) not a cable box. HD DTA's only have HDMI and RF out for video connections, and no access to on demand video, a program guide or other interactive features, plus no ability to tune premium channels. I think they are also limited to stereo audio output over HDMI. As I recall HD DTAs are standard equipment for those with Basic Cable service who opt to pay the Comcast HD Technology Fee to receive HD channels.

Every Comcast's HD cable box I have seen has component video connections, HDMI, composite video, RF out, and possibly S-Video too on older boxes, but those at a Basic tier have to pay extra to get a cable box.
    Quote Quote  
  12. It definitely doesn't work with the box you are talking about. But the main box, which has the dvr, is a cable box and only has hdmi out and A/V red, white, yellow. Plus a bunch of useless USB and Ethernet ports. ATT boxes are better. The Ethernet port was active and could be plugged into a cpu or another wired device and provide an Internet connection. I'm going to try to hook the TV up and change some settings on the cable box. I'll let you know what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by phdworz View Post
    It definitely doesn't work with the box you are talking about. But the main box, which has the dvr, is a cable box and only has hdmi out and A/V red, white, yellow. Plus a bunch of useless USB and Ethernet ports. ATT boxes are better. The Ethernet port was active and could be plugged into a cpu or another wired device and provide an Internet connection. I'm going to try to hook the TV up and change some settings on the cable box. I'll let you know what happens.
    It sounds like you have an Xfinity X1 or X2 DVR and one or more of the secondary boxes that are compatible with them. I have never seen an X1 or X2 system in person, so I went to Comcast's website and looked at the equipment used for it.

The secondary boxes are not the same as HD DTAs. The RNG150N secondary boxes are cable boxes. The Xi3 secondary units are not, nor are they DTAs, and the Xi3 units are the only secondary boxes boxes pictured on the the X1 page that do not have component out. The Xi3 boxes have no tuner and connect to the main DVR unit via MoCA, and use IP to communicate with the DVR and access its tuners. The Pace RNG150N P2 and Samsung RNG150N secondary boxes have component out, but are older and have a some drawbacks They don't offer an RF remote, and some users complain that it takes an up to 2 hours for the Comcast software download to finish, and up to a half an hour to become functional after a power outage or after they are unplugged. Some people really hate the RNG150N boxes.

[Edit]You surely knew that you have an X1 or X2 system, and could have told us that much at least. The members here who were asking about the equipment you have are doing that for a reason. Having to play guessing games makes it more difficult to help you.

[Edit 2]Here is a guide case you can't find the resolution settings for the X1 system: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-video-display/
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Nov 2014 at 14:51.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!