VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently purchased a DVD set of a US show that was only released abroad (go figure!). The series was clearly shot on film as far as I can tell, but the DVDs are in PAL format. I am thinking of trying out IVTC, but since its technically in PAL format but was telecined to NTSC, do I need to convert back to NTSC or is there a better and more accurate route?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hopefully, your show was recorded in 24p film and then sped up because if it was anything else you're out of luck on a quick fix.

Open the thing in VLC, make sure deinterlacing is turned off, if you see any interlacing lines in the video you've got work to do.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It is definitely interlaced. I have some sample NTSC DVD copies and I played with the IVTC and I am pretty sure between that and the appearance of film grain that it was shot on film. Wasn't sure if there was a fix I could do in a batch as there are almost 100 videos I need to process.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are several options here:

1: it was shot at 24p, then pulldown was applied to convert it to 25i
    2: it was shot at 24p, then it was blend converted to 25i
    3: it was shot at 29.97i...

Actually it just blows out from there, maybe you should just post a sample for us to look at.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It was shot at 24p (23.976...), pulldown to 29.97i, converted to 25i. I am looking to bring it back to the original framerate.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    *sigh* how was it converted to 25i, that's the burning question.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by premiumcapture View Post
    It was shot at 24p (23.976...), pulldown to 29.97i, converted to 25i. I am looking to bring it back to the original framerate.
    Then how about a sample, as ndjamena has already requested? If what you say is correct (and I doubt it is), you had better learn some AviSynth, and fast. 10 seconds of steady movement from the source (not converted to anything else) should be plenty.
    Quote Quote  
  8. If you post a sample, with plenty of movement, and which is simply cut, and not re-rendered, it should be pretty easy to spot what is going on. VLC is not a very good way to understand the problem. You need to put it through AVISynth and do a separatefields() to look at it field by field.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The most common solution for film at 30i to 25i is a smart bob followed by SRestore.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Sample attached. Maybe I am looking at this wrong, but the show was produced in the US and I have the impression it was done on film, though I have not looked at the frame order to verify.

Thanks for the help!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  11. That video has been totally destroyed. Throw it out. If you really must use it, leave it like it is.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    That video has been totally destroyed. Throw it out. If you really must use it, leave it like it is.
    I stuck it through Handbrake just for upload. Are you talking about the frame rate conversion or the PQ?

The show was released in the US, but the complete series was only released abroad. There were individual releases here with five episodes missing. The complete series is on iTunes but they fudged the PQ and deinterlacing to an unacceptable point.

I have attached a sample from the same episode from the NTSC release encoded @ CRF 22 for upload.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  13. The video (in post #10) was resized as if it was progressive but it contains interlaced frames. It's also encoded progressive to further screw it up. Upload an sample that has not been reencoded. Then we'll see if Handbrake cause those problems or if they're in the source video.
    Quote Quote  
  14. The sample in post 12 contains interlaced (hard telecined) video that been encoded progressive. Did you make that with Handbrake too?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Both were done in Handbrake, but I am uploading two samples right now. Due to the filesizes being comparatively bigger, it will take a few minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Why don't you upload an unprocessed sample? Open a vob in dgindex, mark in, mark out by pushing the "[" and "]" buttons in the GUI, file=>save project and demux video . Upload the .m2v video
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by premiumcapture View Post
    Both were done in Handbrake, but I am uploading two samples right now. Due to the filesizes being comparatively bigger, it will take a few minutes.
    They need to be unprocessed otherwise there is no point.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I am currently uploading samples from files made in MakeMKV using MKVMerge
    Quote Quote  
  19. DVDs were transferred by MakeMKV and I used MKVMerge to split. These should be the real deal.

I tried to make the time smaller, but didn't know how, which is why these are so big.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  20. If you re-encode, we can't help. You must use a tool which simply cuts, but leaves all the pixels intact. You only need to upload 5-10 seconds of video, but it needs to contain lots of motion.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    If you re-encode, we can't help. You must use a tool which simply cuts, but leaves all the pixels intact. You only need to upload 5-10 seconds of video, but it needs to contain lots of motion.
    Please see above two posts
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search PM
    A 10 second mpeg2 video is not over 200 MB. Also I am confused you have a PAL DVD and now you have an NTSC source as well?

poisondeathray showed you how to get an untouched sample:

Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Why don't you upload an unprocessed sample? Open a vob in dgindex, mark in, mark out by pushing the "[" and "]" buttons in the GUI, file=>save project and demux video . Upload the .m2v video
    What is the issue?
    Quote Quote  
  23. The PAL video in post #19 can be mostly restored to the original film frames with AviSynth:

Code:
    Mpeg2Source("filename.d2v")
    Yadif(mode=1)
    SRestore()
    The NTSC clip is simple hard telecined film so

Code:
    TFM()
    TDecimate()
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 13th Nov 2014 at 12:51.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The PAL video in post #19 can be mostly restored to the original film frames with AviSynth:

Code:
    Yadif(mode=1)
    SRestore()
    The NTSC clip is simple hard telecined film so

Code:
    TFM()
    TDecimate()
    Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!