VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello

This is indeed a newbie question.

I often need to slice a video and usually use AviDemux for that. Videos are usually compressed in h264 + AAC and packed into an MP4 container.

Problem is, it's pretty common to have to start splitting on an "intermediate" frame, ie. not a keyframe… which requires re-encoding the video, causing yet more loss in quality.

So I was wondering: Is there a slicer (for Windows) that can generate a new keyframe by taking the intermediate frame and the last keyframe, so that no re-encoding is necessary?

Thank you.
    Last edited by yetanotherlogin; 12th Nov 2014 at 08:03.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Even keyframes aren't losslessly encoded, so the re-encoded keyframe would be of a lower quality than the original, since any frame that references it would expect it to look exactly like the original frame there may be artefacts if you don't re-encode them as well. Also a frame may reference a frame BEFORE the new IDR frame and it would have to be re-encoded in that case as well. It's better to just re-encode the entire gop and there are programs that do that.

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/video-editors-h264-avc

MKVCutter is free
    SolveigMM Video Splitter isn't
    There are probably others there.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the infos.

So I'll just re-encode with AviDemux.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ???

A GOP is just the frames between one key-frame and the next, it'd take about 2 seconds to re-encode one using even the most crippling x264 settings. But fine, you do that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I don't know what a GOP is.

Since FVE pretends to be able to let "you delete unwanted parts from video files without re-encoding", I gave it a try but didn't find how to make multiple selections in a video and have them split into multiple files or (ideally) a single file: Even after making selections, checking "Split by selections" and hitting "Save video", the files don't start where I made the selections. Any idea why?

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/guides/free-video-editor.htm
    Last edited by yetanotherlogin; 12th Nov 2014 at 06:18.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Because free video editor doesn't support "smart rendering" like mkvcutter and solveigmm video splitter.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I don't know what "smart rendering" is either.

At this point, here's what my screen looks like, and the four files it created do not match at all the start/end selections I made
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think free-video-editor is one of the programs that cuts on key-frames, at least I can't see anything that indicates it re-encodes the gops on the boundaries.

VideoReDo
    Smart Cutter Ps/Ts
    MKVCutter
    SolveigMM Video Splitter
    TMPGEnc

Are the one's that seem to "cut on any frame"
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the infos.
    Quote Quote