+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

i tried to open mov files in premiere cc or after effects
    but i got errors

should install quicktime ?

in case i had to install it could i install QuickTime Alternative 3.2.2 ?

ps is there a software that support smart rendering for mov files (maybe free)? i had some video made with iphone5 and i need to flip , would be nice to do it without re-coding , for now i use vlc to rotate ,but it's boring

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    thanks Baldrick
    and about quicktime alternative?
    i always liked in the past
    if i install it can i inport mov files in premiere pro?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Your .mov file is probably encoded with ProRes or Apple Intermediate codecs. There is now some minimal support for ProRes in QuickTime for Windows.

Use the real thing, the latest QuickTime version 7.x. QuickTime alternative was fine when hard drive space was limited and hating on Apple was worth the bother.

You can use either QuickTime or mediainfo to tell you what codec is actually in the mov container.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Your .mov file is probably encoded with ProRes or Apple Intermediate codecs. There is now some minimal support for ProRes in QuickTime for Windows.

Use the real thing, the latest QuickTime version 7.x. QuickTime alternative was fine when hard drive space was limited and hating on Apple was worth the bother.

You can use either QuickTime or mediainfo to tell you what codec is actually in the mov container.
    they are for example iphone s5 move files
    did you test qucktime alternative with premiere cc or after effects ? does it work?
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Adobe themselves will tell you that if you want to make use of the full capabilities of those apps with MOV files, you should/must install QuickTime. Versions usually have accompanying QT requisites, but it is a good bet that what you need is the latest version of QT.

QtAlt is not acceptable, neither technologically nor legally, to Adobe, and since it doesn't provide anything beyond what original QT can give, best to stay safe. IIRC, the sole exception to this is the DirectShow cross-API shim plug-in. You could extract that from the QtAlt package if desired, or there are other sources to get this from.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by rama View Post
    did you test qucktime alternative with premiere cc or after effects ?
    No desire to try. I've got too many programs dependent on quicktime to screw around with an obsolete product -- especially since the real thing is free.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't use Premiere or AE, but QuickTime Alternative works fine in Vegas and everything else I use. You couldn't pay me to install the full QuickTime.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    racer-x, if you were to have some issues and contacted Adobe or Sony support, they would likely not continue to help once it was clear that you used QTAlt...

Don't know where you got the Anti-QT fixation. It's never been fast, that much is true, and while the software was considered "bloated" back in the day, the rest of the industry has caught up with them, so it's no more or less bloated than most other payware architecture+players. I've used QT in one capacity or another ever since it began, and even though it is not by a long shot the main conduit for my work, I've never had trouble installing or using it. If you frequently deal with MOVs, it just makes sense to get QT Pro, as that makes many things easier. Being "legit" has its benefits. Maybe it's the background processes, but those have always been easy to turn off.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. I agree with Scott, you almost "have" to use it if you deal frequently with quicktime/MOV's . But the windows version is a craptacular 32bit, single threaded POS to this day still. I'm convinced Apple does this on purpose because they love PC users
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The newer versions may be better, I haven't used QT in a few years now and always had problems with it back then when I did. Since I own no Apple products, I have no need nor desire to install it.

If it is required by Adobe products, then obviously you have no choice anyway.....
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  11. It's not required by Adobe since CS5 and up. PP now uses it's own QT importer, not Apple's . CS4 and below did use Apple's QT for importing. I was just agreeing that quicktime pro is useful in the general sense if you use MOV's frequently . But Adobe does require quicktime installed for a few select export formats

@rama - Probably something confliciting with your setup. Try re-installing. If that doesn't work, ask at the Adobe forum
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Note that QT is up to v7.7.6 on Windows side, but QTAlt is frozen at only 7.6.6 and QT Lite is frozen at 7.6.9, neither updated since 2010. Using those instead of real QT could possibly result in incompatibilities/crashes (YMMV). Would make more of a difference the further you get away from frozen status quo.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    I agree with Scott, you almost "have" to use it if you deal frequently with quicktime/MOV's . But the windows version is a craptacular 32bit, single threaded POS to this day still. I'm convinced Apple does this on purpose because they love PC users
    ...Weird. I guess it's probably an exception to 64-bit players/encoders requiring 64-bit codecs/filters (we have the 64-bit version of iTunes installed for a family member's iPhone).

Considering that Apple seems to be phasing QT out a bit in the more recent versions of OS X, maybe they'll do something similar on the PC end - or, more likely, just leave the basic QT framework in place. As long as it works, to some extent, they don't have much reason to mess with it.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Yes itunes has 32bit and 64bit versions, but quicktime for windows itself is 32bit only

But strictly speaking a 64bit application requires 64bit codec, unless there is something written to negotiate between the two

e.g. some programs can access 32bit quicktime (e.g. 64bit vegas) because they have a quicktime handler built in
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!