VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 44
Thread
  1. Hi,

    I'd like to know if it's possible to merge or join a few mp4 files without reencoding with Virtualdub.

    Please let me know if we can do it, thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Sweden
    Search Comp PM
    You can't save as/output as mp4 directly in virtualdub.

    Merge with avidemux or mp4box instead.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    And if they are completely unrelated videos(not from the same camera - not from the same encode)....you will be re-encoding no matter what you use.
    Quote Quote  
  4. All the extracts mp4 files are coming from the same video.

    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    And if they are completely unrelated videos(not from the same camera - not from the same encode)....you will be re-encoding no matter what you use.
    Quote Quote  
  5. About Mp4box :

    What's mux and demux, please ?

    Unfortunately with Mp4Box, I hear that it lacks a video preview function with GUI timecode selector.

    Do I need previously installed Mp4box, if I install Mp4Box GUI ?


    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    You can't save as/output as mp4 directly in virtualdub.

    Merge with avidemux or mp4box instead.
    Quote Quote  
  6. As long as you don't mind MKV as the output, MKVMergeGUI will open MP4s (and other file types), append and split them etc and save the output as MKV. It's pretty easy to use.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I tried Yamb, beta version but the join function doesn't work and the preview on the split window doesnt work.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Why do you need a preview ? Are you editing as well ? or only appending them end to end ? What do you mean exactly by "merge" ?

    Are your MP4 files using different specs ? Check with mediainfo (view=>text)

    Since you said they were "coming from the same video" , how were they "cut" in the first place ?


    Originally Posted by ramaflore View Post


    What's mux and demux, please ?


    mux is shorthand for "multiplex" or putting elementary audio & video into a container like MP4

    demux is short for "demulitiplex" or extracting elementary audio & video
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi ramaflore :

    Try :
    Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i "source1.mp4" -c copy -bsf:v h264_mp4toannexb -f mpegts "source1.ts"
    ffmpeg -y -i "source2.mp4" -c copy -bsf:v h264_mp4toannexb -f mpegts "source2.ts"
    ffmpeg -y -i "source3.mp4" -c copy -bsf:v h264_mp4toannexb -f mpegts "source3.ts"
    ffmpeg -y -i "source4.mp4" -c copy -bsf:v h264_mp4toannexb -f mpegts "source4.ts"
    
    ffmpeg -y -i concat:"source1.ts|source2.ts|source3.ts|source4.ts" -absf aac_adtstoasc -c copy -f mov "destination.mp4"
    Cheers .
    Quote Quote  
  10. @aazerty: why '-f mov' in combination with .mp4 as extension? Wouldn't that create a .mov file with a .mp4 extension?
    Why not use '-f mp4' ?
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi ,

    That is what it is said , in the page ( in french ) :
    http://hd3g.tv/b/2012/08/coller-des-fichiers-mp4-entre-eux-avec-ffmpeg

    Under "Assemblage" .

    Cheers .
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    As long as you don't mind MKV as the output, MKVMergeGUI will open MP4s (and other file types), append and split them etc and save the output as MKV. It's pretty easy to use.
    This is what I do. Then I either use MP4Box or ffmpeg to copy AVC/AAC to mp4 container. Usually not neccessary but some media players expect to see aac in mp4 and will refuse to play the file. If I'm converting a file that I've ripped from disc then I use the original ac3 and create avc/ac3 mkv. I try and steer clear of mp4 if possible.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I need the preview to cut manually with the marker while I'm watching the video. No, I'm not editing the video, I only need a direct copy without loss of
    quality.

    Merge or join files are the same for me.

    Same specs.

    The first time I cut was with Boilsoft splitter.


    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Why do you need a preview ? Are you editing as well ? or only appending them end to end ? What do you mean exactly by "merge" ?

    Are your MP4 files using different specs ? Check with mediainfo (view=>text)

    Since you said they were "coming from the same video" , how were they "cut" in the first place ?


    Originally Posted by ramaflore View Post


    What's mux and demux, please ?


    mux is shorthand for "multiplex" or putting elementary audio & video into a container like MP4

    demux is short for "demulitiplex" or extracting elementary audio & video
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks aazerty but I don't want to transcode or to convert into mpeg file, only a direct copy from the original with the same specs.

    Originally Posted by aazerty View Post
    Hi ramaflore :

    Try :
    Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i "source1.mp4" -c copy -bsf:v h264_mp4toannexb -f mpegts "source1.ts"
    ffmpeg -y -i "source2.mp4" -c copy -bsf:v h264_mp4toannexb -f mpegts "source2.ts"
    ffmpeg -y -i "source3.mp4" -c copy -bsf:v h264_mp4toannexb -f mpegts "source3.ts"
    ffmpeg -y -i "source4.mp4" -c copy -bsf:v h264_mp4toannexb -f mpegts "source4.ts"
    
    ffmpeg -y -i concat:"source1.ts|source2.ts|source3.ts|source4.ts" -absf aac_adtstoasc -c copy -f mov "destination.mp4"
    Cheers .
    Quote Quote  
  15. In that case use Avidemux. It has preview option you need.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    You are not going to be able to get a precise cut without using a pay program like VideoReDo TV Suite. You can try Free Video Editor but be careful when installing or you'll get adware. It seems to be the easiest to use and will work for other formats also. Not guaranteed to get frame accurate editing but it does save without re-encoding. Avidemux is way to buggy for me. Especially with mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Avidiemux, is only for mp4. I'm looking for one program that can deal with all majors videos files.

    Which alternative programs to Yamb, please ?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Hi ramaflore ,

    Code:
    Create a batch file : 'xxx.bat' , put it in the same directory where are *.mp4
    
    @echo on
    copy /B *.mp4 fusion.mp4
    pause
    :fin
    
    OR
    
    Create a batch file : 'yyy.bat' , put it anywhere
    ( original files are at 'C:\Users\Gerard\Desktop\videos' )
    ( final file will be on your desktop 'C:\Users\Gerard\Desktop' )
    
    @echo on
    copy /B C:\Users\Gerard\Desktop\videos\*.mp4 C:\Users\Gerard\Desktop\fusion.mp4
    pause
    :fin
    Regards .
    Quote Quote  
  19. That's "editing" . Merging implies joining videos together. "cut manually with a marker" implies editing . (Cutting is not the same thing as merging)

    Anyways, try videoredo, solveigmm video splitter, tmpgenc smart renderer
    Quote Quote  
  20. ramaflore: The videotovideo media converter program has a joining feature. If the specs match up completely you should be able to join the videos and by using the direct stream option there would be no re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member racer-x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Search Comp PM
    I use MpegStreamClip to cut and join mp4 (no re-compression).

    1) File > Open Files
    2) Control-click to select multiple clips
    3) File Save As > .mp4
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  22. Could I cut and join wmv, flv and mov files ?

    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    I use MpegStreamClip to cut and join mp4 (no re-compression).

    1) File > Open Files
    2) Control-click to select multiple clips
    3) File Save As > .mp4
    Quote Quote  
  23. If I have a different names files from different videos but all are wmv files and I wanted to enumerate or to list only a few files by her name, how can I do, please ?

    Originally Posted by aazerty View Post
    Hi ramaflore ,

    Code:
    Create a batch file : 'xxx.bat' , put it in the same directory where are *.mp4
    
    @echo on
    copy /B *.mp4 fusion.mp4
    pause
    :fin
    
    OR
    
    Create a batch file : 'yyy.bat' , put it anywhere
    ( original files are at 'C:\Users\Gerard\Desktop\videos' )
    ( final file will be on your desktop 'C:\Users\Gerard\Desktop' )
    
    @echo on
    copy /B C:\Users\Gerard\Desktop\videos\*.mp4 C:\Users\Gerard\Desktop\fusion.mp4
    pause
    :fin
    Regards .
    Quote Quote  
  24. Videoredo is it able to cutting and joining videos files like, mp4, wmv, mov, flv without re-encoding ?

    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    That's "editing" . Merging implies joining videos together. "cut manually with a marker" implies editing . (Cutting is not the same thing as merging)

    Anyways, try videoredo, solveigmm video splitter, tmpgenc smart renderer
    Quote Quote  
  25. This program needs quick time previously installed and I don't want to install QT.

    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    I use MpegStreamClip to cut and join mp4 (no re-compression).

    1) File > Open Files
    2) Control-click to select multiple clips
    3) File Save As > .mp4
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member racer-x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ramaflore View Post
    This program needs quick time previously installed and I don't want to install QT.

    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    I use MpegStreamClip to cut and join mp4 (no re-compression).

    1) File > Open Files
    2) Control-click to select multiple clips
    3) File Save As > .mp4
    I use QuickTime Alternative. It works well with mp4, mov files. There are better tools for other types.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member Budman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NORTHWEST ILLINOIS, USA
    Search Comp PM
    Just had occasion to do this (add mp4's together) and found that if you use the Binary method to join (copy /b video.ext + video2.ext output.ext) you will get a video that has 2 mdat,2 moov, etc. This result may play in some but not all players and some streaming Servers like Plex wil stop after the first video plays.

    What does work is if you join with FFMPEG type editors.


    This video will have 1 Mdat and 1 Moov atoms with 2 trak atoms that will play on most if not all players/Servers. FFMPEG is fairly easy to use and requires no installation and since you have a 'Few' to join it should work well for this.

    UPDATE: EXAMPLE WRONG WILL POST CORRECT LATER... SORRY about that.

    Correct method would be to be sure only video/audio present and use the concat method with file list. Make a text file with a file similar to this and give it a name such as Filelist.txt:

    file 'C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\[dp]Manjandani-1_Extract_1.mp4'
    file 'C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\[dp]Manjandani-1_Extract_2.mp4'


    Then concat with:
    ffmpeg -f concat -i FileList.txt -c copy "C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\_Joined_2.mp4"

    Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_131 Nov. 28 02.33.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	28882
    Last edited by Budman1; 28th Nov 2014 at 03:34.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Hi Budman1 ,

    Thanks . The commands-line works .

    Regards .
    Quote Quote  
  29. Wich Gui for ffmpeg program did you use to make those screenshots ?

    Do you have the syntax for splitting any video file ?

    I splitted a wmv video file in 2 files, then I joined with ffmpeg, but the video can't play on MPC. Nevertheless, I can play it on WMP and VLC. Why ?
    Quote Quote  
  30. DECEASED
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Heaven
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ramaflore View Post
    I splitted a wmv video file in 2 files, then I joined with ffmpeg, but the video can't play on MPC. Nevertheless, I can play it on WMP and VLC. Why ?
    Because WMP and VLC are designed to deal with borked files. MPC-HC, which uses LAV Splitter, is not.
    Quote Quote