VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. my video player(videocon satellite dvd) play divx,mpeg4,avi,dvd,vcd and mp4 format videos by default.

If I convert any videos of other format to avi or mp4 my video player unable to play those.

I have tried many video converters (format factory, allconverter pro etc) but no use.

Kindly let me know where exactly the problem was.

I really appreciate your help to resolve this problem.

so that i can play all the rhymes i downloaded from internet on my TV for my Son.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Is it just your converted video that wont work?

Then try max 720x576 pixels resolution/frame size and in an avi with divx/xvid video and mp3 audio.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 9th Nov 2014 at 04:07.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi Baldrick,

Thanks for your reply.
    There are lot of video converters in market today.
    Can you suggest one video converter tool so that I will try that for my problem and will get back to you if there are any issues.
    I am asking this because if i try the tool which you suggest, trouble shooting will be easy since you are familiar to that.

Thanks in advance and waiting for your reply.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by tsvr1890 View Post
    Hi Baldrick,

Thanks for your reply.
    There are lot of video converters in market today.
    Can you suggest one video converter tool so that I will try that for my problem and will get back to you if there are any issues.
    I am asking this because if i try the tool which you suggest, trouble shooting will be easy since you are familiar to that.

Thanks in advance and waiting for your reply.
    More tools are not going to solve the problem. You need to find out exactly what this videocon device can play. We already know that "divx,mpeg4,avi,dvd,vcd and mp4" is NOT an accurate enough answer.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    No matter which video converter you are using: Before you start the conversion, you need to know the constraints of your player, to set up the video converter to stay within the limits of supported formats (e.g. resolution, video format, encoding complexity = "Profile@Level", etc.). Shame on all manufacturers who are unable to specify these constraints exact enough in their manuals.

And sometimes you even have to add a little "convincing" (e.g. Apple doesn't want videos not converted by Apple software to play on iCrap players, so it adds special flags = "atoms" to the containers).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi LigH.de,

from your reply
    " resolution, video format, encoding complexity = "Profile@Level", etc.)

Please elaborate etc... I mean what are the other characterstics apart from the above to check prior to start converting.

I will make a note of all those and check.

Thanks in advance..
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I am unable to create a comprehensive list of possible reasons why a player may refuse a specific video file. The main reason is that manufacturers of players are usually unable to create a comprehensive list of characteristics (= "specification") a video must match to be accepted ...

Usually the writers of manuals have not the slightest clue about (some of) the technical terms they have to include. So there is no surprise that they do not even differ between container and content, specification and implementation (e.g. "DivX" is an implementation of MPEG-4 ASP video as specified in ISO/IEC 14496 Part 2 with specific limits, e.g. at most only one consecutive B-frame, at most one GMC warp point, and much more – usually multiplexed in an AVI container which may be "legacy" AVI 1.0 or "OpenDML" AVI 2.0 ... how much of that did you find in your manual?).

There are so many possible reasons why it may not work. Even reasons so stupidly simple you would hardly consider. There may be players which support only "legacy" AVI 1.0 containers (up to 1 GB), but not "OpenDML" AVI 2.0 containers; how would you know without trial&error?

A good start may be to compare "full" MediaInfo analysis reports of files which work against some of files which fail.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    what are the other characterstics apart from the above to check prior to start converting.
    YOU DON'T START CONVERTING until you find out exactly what this videocon satellite dvd can play/accept!!!!!
    READ THE MANUAL.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    what are the other characterstics apart from the above to check prior to start converting.
    YOU DON'T START CONVERTING until you find out exactly what this videocon satellite dvd can play/accept!!!!!
    READ THE MANUAL.
    My thought exactly. And remember that having ".avi" or ".mp4" as the file extension just tells you what the container is but doesn't tell you what format the video is. The format is the important thing.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    File extensions do not even guarantee the container format. People may rename files for the strangest reasons (e.g. due to a lack of knowledge about extension assignments to default applications).
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!