VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi all
    I'm looking for a program that I can edit TV comercials out with. Just bought a Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus and it comes with its own editor but it'll only edit off to the beginning of a show then will take off everything after the show is over. It won't do any editing in the middle for commercial breaks. It also comes with Arcsoft Showbiz but after I've taken all the commercials out and click the produce tab so that it sews all the edits together as its rendering it freezes. Can someone point me in the right direction? As of now I'm having to leave all the commercials in and a 30 minute show is like a 2 GB file. Which is ok if it must be because I have multiple 2 TB external hard drives.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could try AVIDemux. It's freeware. Others here: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/video-editors-h264-avc

From what I see, the Hauppauge recording formats are:

•Hardware encoder
    •H.264 AVCHD high definition video encoder, with record resolution to 1080p30
    Recording datarate: from 1 to 13.5 Mbits/sec
    Recording video formats: AVCHD (.TS and .M2TS) plus .MP4
    Those formats aren't 'editor friendly', as are most all highly compressed modern video formats. The problem is the 'keyframes' are widely spaced in those type of formats.
    A 'keyframe' is a complete frame of video and you can easily edit on a keyframe. In between are partial frames.

Some formats like Xvid or similar may have 300 partial frames between keyframes. This makes frame accurate editing very difficult.
    And if you cut anywhere except on a keyframe, you may have video breakups and other problems.
    Some editors can re-encode just at the cut and eliminate some of those problems.

Other members can probably make some better suggestions for editing programs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use VideoReDo TV Suite H.264 to edit captures made by my Hauppauge Colossus. It isn't cheap, but it has a free trial. There are no frame-accurate freeware editors for H.264.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I downloaded AVIDEMUX. I think it will work but I'm having a little trouble figuring it out.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!