VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I pretty much always use LimitedSharpenFaster to sharpen a source I do, with varying strengths from extremely low 20 to 180 strength depending on the source.

Ive worked on a couple Blu-Rays before, but this is the first source I've worked with that is so sharp that it doesn't need LimtedSharpenFaster and would look terrible if I used it. Its already got serious halo/ringing in the source video from being oversharpened. A halo remover alone is not really helping too much. its lowering visibility of halos but its still way oversharpened.

What I need is something that does the opposite of LimitedSharpenFaster so that I can perhaps soften or blur the image a tiny bit without hurting the quality too much.

Can anyone suggest to me an avisynth filter to soften or blur it a tad bit without overdoing it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Blur() # 0.0 to 1.58, separate x and y values
    Quote Quote  
  3. so its used like this for example?

blur(x=1.0, y=1.0)

or this?

blur(1.0, 1.0)
    Quote Quote  
  4. I got this working, I just dont get the difference between horizontal and vertical blur. What do those do and why would I only want to blur one and not the other?

Thanks alot for the suggestion, Ill tinker with it until I get it down.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    I pretty much always use LimitedSharpenFaster to sharpen a source I do, with varying strengths from extremely low 20 to 180 strength depending on the source.

Ive worked on a couple Blu-Rays before, but this is the first source I've worked with that is so sharp that it doesn't need LimtedSharpenFaster and would look terrible if I used it. Its already got serious halo/ringing in the source video from being oversharpened. A halo remover alone is not really helping too much. its lowering visibility of halos but its still way oversharpened.

What I need is something that does the opposite of LimitedSharpenFaster so that I can perhaps soften or blur the image a tiny bit without hurting the quality too much.

Can anyone suggest to me an avisynth filter to soften or blur it a tad bit without overdoing it?
    What exactly do you mean by too sharp?

Do you mean the video is full of edge "enhancement"?

A picture would certainly help.

Without seeing a picture I would be reluctant to simply advice you to throw some blur at it, it may make a bad thing worse!

Last edited by newpball; 29th Oct 2014 at 12:55.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    I pretty much always use LimitedSharpenFaster to sharpen a source I do, with varying strengths from extremely low 20 to 180 strength depending on the source.

What exactly do you mean by too sharp?

Do you mean the video is full of edge "enhancement"?

A picture would certainly help.

Without seeing a picture I would be reluctant to simply advice you to throw some blur at it, it may make a bad thing worse!

The blur fixed it perfectly for me with a setting of blur(0.30)

What I mean by over sharpened is the entire picture is too sharp. Imagine taking LimitedSharpenFaster and setting it to 200 strength then adding another one on top of it at about 50-100. That's what this looks like. Not only that if you do that, it will introduce halos/ringing, edge enhancements and alot of the lines will have white around them. They really overdid the picture sharpness on this Blu-Ray.

I don't need to give a screenshot because I'm not asking how to fix the issue, I was asking for filter suggestions for me to use because I never needed to blur or soften an image before and didn't know of any to use. Thanks though for the offer with a screenshot.
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 29th Oct 2014 at 13:28.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    I just dont get the difference between horizontal and vertical blur.
    source:
    Name:  source.png
Views: 795
Size:  395 Bytes

Horizontal Blur:
    Name:  b10.png
Views: 789
Size:  407 Bytes

Vertical Blur:
    Name:  b01.png
Views: 781
Size:  451 Bytes
    Last edited by jagabo; 29th Oct 2014 at 17:06.
    Quote Quote