VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    After the last 2 AnyDVD updates, DVDShrink has not been able to read dvd's (this includes older dvd's. <- 2, 3, 5, 10 years old) When AnyDVD is used ie 'full' disks ripped to iso same issue. When ripped to vob, Shrink works fine. What gives? Have they bent over?

-corne-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The AnyDVD running in the background while opening the disc in DVDShrink tactic rarely worked for me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    The AnyDVD running in the background while opening the disc in DVDShrink tactic rarely worked for me.
    I dont follow, the combo worked fine till the last few 'upgrades', other than when dvd's "had" like 24 or 63 gigs of data, (anydvd fixed that)

All disks now must be ripped full, to vob, then shrink works fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why are you still using DVDShrink in this day and age? Just buy some Verbatim DVD+R DL discs for dual layer discs so you can make a 1:1 copy.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I dont follow
    It rarely worked for me.....ever. What's not to follow?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Simple solution is to use AnyDVD to rip to the hard drive and then open it in DVD Shrink.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post
    Why are you still using DVDShrink in this day and age? Just buy some Verbatim DVD+R DL discs for dual layer discs so you can make a 1:1 copy.
    I use DVDShrink for ripping with AnyDVD running in the background doing the decrypting when necessary. You can set the target backup size to something large so DVDShrink doesn't try to compress anything.

I generally use DVDShrink's re-author mode at the same time so the output is a set of vob files containing just the movie, or a set of vob files per episode etc. Sometimes I use DVDShrink's edit function and remove any studio promos from the beginning before I start it ripping.

Why are you still burning discs in this day and age?

I haven't ripped any DVDs for a couple of months and I've not updated AnyDVD for a while so I can't comment on the problem the OP is experiencing, but I think once or twice in I had to update AnyDVD in order to rip a disc with a newer flavour of copy protection. Other than that I've not had a single problem ripping with DVDShrink/AnyDVD ripping.

It does sound like something's changed in respect to what AnyDVD is doing though, if I'm understanding correctly and DVDShrink can't open ISO files AnyDVD creates when it's ripping. Maybe asking about the issue at the Slysoft forum but be an idea.
    Quote Quote  
  8. There have been issues that come into play when a disc contains structural protections which is pretty common. It is recommended that if you wish to use DVD Shrink that you first rip the DVD to your HDD. You can use the AnyDVD ripper by right-clicking on the AnyDVD fox icon in the systray. I recommend selecting "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk..." After this is completed you now have an unprotected copy on your HDD. Load the resulting folder located on your HDD into DVD Shrink and then do whatever you wish to do.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by HemLok View Post
    There have been issues that come into play when a disc contains structural protections which is pretty common. It is recommended that if you wish to use DVD Shrink that you first rip the DVD to your HDD. You can use the AnyDVD ripper by right-clicking on the AnyDVD fox icon in the systray. I recommend selecting "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk..." After this is completed you now have an unprotected copy on your HDD. Load the resulting folder located on your HDD into DVD Shrink and then do whatever you wish to do.
    Ripping first and re-authoring second slows the process down somewhat compared to doing both at the same time, but if the problem includes ripping to ISO with AnyDVD and not being able to open the ISO file with DVDShrink..... well that seems a little odd to me.

If DVDShrink won't open AnyDVD's ISO files I'd imagine it'd offer an error or complain in some way, but if it does I don't think anything specific has been mentioned.

I wonder if another program might open the ripped ISO files? I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. If so maybe DVDShrink's the one with the issue and the AnyDVD update was a red herring. Nah..... it sounds too co-incidental..... but when it comes to computers....
    ImgBurn should open ISOs and I think most compression programs play with them these days. WinRAR or 7zip or TugZip or something similar.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The two-step process (ripping to the HDD - then re-encoding) is always faster in the long run anyway. Re-encoding from the DVD in the drive sucks and is painfully slow by comparison.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Ripping first and re-authoring second slows the process down somewhat compared to doing both at the same time, but if the problem includes ripping to ISO with AnyDVD and not being able to open the ISO file with DVDShrink..... well that seems a little odd to me.
    All well and good but the fact is that DVD Shrink is "abandonware" and outdated. There will be issues with newer - but, frankly, not brand new - structural protections when trying to use DVD Shrink and AnyDVD and doing on-the-fly backups. The recommended method when using DVD Shrink is to first rip the disc to you HDD and then process after the protections have been removed. That's just how it is.

Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    If DVDShrink won't open AnyDVD's ISO files I'd imagine it'd offer an error or complain in some way, but if it does I don't think anything specific has been mentioned.
    I randomly tested 10 ISO images created via the AnyDVD ripper. I had no issues opening any of them directly in DVD Shrink. That does not, however, mean processing them would work properly since as I've noted before structural protections can pose issues. If the protections have been removed then there should be no issue. The issue is if people make a backup where they rip to ISO and naively leave the structural protections intact which is possible. This will cause problems.

I wonder if another program might open the ripped ISO files? I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. If so maybe DVDShrink's the one with the issue and the AnyDVD update was a red herring. Nah..... it sounds too co-incidental..... but when it comes to computers....
    ImgBurn should open ISOs and I think most compression programs play with them these days. WinRAR or 7zip or TugZip or something similar.
    As I noted, I had no issues loading any ISO images directly into DVD Shrink. Nonetheless, yes, try other programs that can open ISO images. I find this situation odd, however, and don't believe the culprit is AnyDVD.
    Last edited by HemLok; 25th Oct 2014 at 05:04.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    After the last 2 AnyDVD updates, DVDShrink has not been able to read dvd's (this includes older dvd's. <- 2, 3, 5, 10 years old) When AnyDVD is used ie 'full' disks ripped to iso same issue. When ripped to vob, Shrink works fine. What gives? Have they bent over?

-corne-
    Chances are:
    Your DVDShrink is corrupted.

Uninstall DVDShrink and reinstall it from fresh.

NOTE:
    Before reinstall the new DVDShrink make sure you Delete the DVDShrink prefetch file too:
    My Computer > Local Disk ( C: ) > WINDOWS ["If"] > Prefetch > DVDShrink prefetch sheet > [Right Click] > Delete.

Then re-instal DVDShrink 100% fresh.
    - By erasing DVDShrink prefetch file , you also are erasing any old set up that had acting-up & eliminate the same set up "problems carried" into your new fresh download tool.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by DJ_ValBec; 15th Nov 2014 at 13:14.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post
    Why are you still using DVDShrink in this day and age?
    Why are you still burning discs in this day and age?

I use DVDShrink 'cause it works just fine, for me, anyway (It still works, just another step, now)

I didnt say I burned disks, I do, tho but rarely, not for me.

Generally, I only want the movie, 'the meat of the disk', the menus & extras, 99% of the time are of NO interest to me. A lot of times the movie 'only' will fit on a dvd 5 disk w/o "shrinking". (I never 'shrink' anything, except to share {<- not sell!})

I keep what I want on several 1 T hdds & transfer to Argosy (usb-2, slow) & now Dune 303tv (remove the int 2.5 hdd and connect via e-sata, rocket fast)

-c-
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    The two-step process (ripping to the HDD - then re-encoding) is always faster in the long run anyway. Re-encoding from the DVD in the drive sucks and is painfully slow by comparison.
    Re-encoding directly from the DVD isn't the subject being discussed.

Originally Posted by HemLok View Post
    All well and good but the fact is that DVD Shrink is "abandonware" and outdated. There will be issues with newer - but, frankly, not brand new - structural protections when trying to use DVD Shrink and AnyDVD and doing on-the-fly backups. The recommended method when using DVD Shrink is to first rip the disc to you HDD and then process after the protections have been removed. That's just how it is.
    Well even though I don't always technically understand how AnyDVD does it's thing, ideally it should run in the background removing all copy protection on the fly. In a perfect world you should be able to run AnyDVD in the background and transfer the files on a DVD to your hard drive using copy and paste.
    The recommended method is the one recommended because "ideal" doesn't always work. I understand that perfectly. The OP appears to also, given he stated "recommended" still works, so I'm pretty sure it goes without saying. I've ripped many DVDs with DVDShrink doing the ripping while AnyDVD runs in the background. It would appear the OP has done the same.
    The problem is after updating AnyDVD he can't rip any DVDs with DVDShrink. Even very old ones. Something has changed for the worse. What did work previously, recommended or not, does not work now. Add to that it would appear DVDShrink can no longer open ISOs created by AnyDVD and something else has changed for the worse.

Maybe the AnyDVD update was the problem. Maybe it's just co-incidence and DVDShrink has a problem. Maybe it's something else, but the point of the discussion isn't really what's "recommended". The OP wants to know if anyone else has experienced a similar loss of functionality and/or what could be the cause.

Originally Posted by HemLok View Post
    I randomly tested 10 ISO images created via the AnyDVD ripper. I had no issues opening any of them directly in DVD Shrink. That does not, however, mean processing them would work properly since as I've noted before structural protections can pose issues. If the protections have been removed then there should be no issue. The issue is if people make a backup where they rip to ISO and naively leave the structural protections intact which is possible. This will cause problems.
    Maybe I don't understand enough of the process but it does seem a little odd to me AnyDVD can rip a DVD to vob files which DVDShrink will happily open, while in the OP's case if AnyDVD rips to ISO there's a possibility intact structural protections might prevent it. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I don't understand why it would.
    That aside though, it would appear something worked yesterday, today it doesn't work, and the main purpose of this thread is to discover why.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I use DVDFab and experienced a similar issue.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There's nothing wrong with still burning discs. Those who get all pissy about it and say you need to rip to hard drives NEVER point out that hard drives do indeed fail with time and they also never point out that you'll need to have backup hard drives to deal with that possibility. Then now that I have called some people out they'll no doubt say that their disk array will save them, but it depends on how many failures you can tolerate at once. If you can only have one drive fail at a time or your date is lost, I can point out that I have indeed read of home disk arrays that had 2 failures at once and everything was lost because the array could only tolerate one failure. Drives can go bad, discs can go bad. The nice thing about discs is that if you lose a disc, you lose ONE disc. You lose an entire drive, you may lose EVERYTHING on it.
    Quote Quote  
  17. If the "pissy" reference was aimed at me, I was replying to someone who asked "why use DVDShrink when you can buy dual layer discs", seemingly based on the assumption the object of the exercise was to burn to disc because DVDShrink was being used for ripping. My "why are you still burning discs" reply was only said in fun, hence the winky.

I do agree, burning to discs or saving to hard drives both have their pros and cons. In my case when I decided to go "hard drive only" I bought a second set of hard drives (just standard SATA drives connected via USB docks) and duplicated each drive. A bit expensive initially, but I'm willing to take the chance the original drive and it's backup are so unlikely to fail at the same time there's not much chance of losing a drive's worth of files. Especially as they're not in an array where they're all running at the same time.

In an ideal world I'd save files to a hard drive and burn to disc as a backup, and I did for quite a while. In the end I just got sick of burning discs and running quality checks. Even if I replaced files with new versions though, I'd generally keep the old discs, so being able to go back in time was nice. No time travelling after replacing files on a hard drive. For one reason or another I do sometimes want to go back to old copies of files, but now I can only go back to a time before I stopped burning discs. Then again, since I stopped burning discs I've not needed to spend all that time burning discs......
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have my best luck
    just using the Dfab Passkey and dvd shrink, with custom size (so i get the full DL size) , and ripping directly to hard drive folder
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post
    Why are you still using DVDShrink in this day and age?
    DVDShrink is free, What + - comperable would you recommend?

(seriously, I have tried various other tools & prefer Shrink)

-c-
    Quote Quote  
  20. I'll be going back to using DVD blanks soon as Dual Layer discs become cheaper.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Not everyone needs to burn a disc using this process. I rip with AnyDVD, shrink with DVD Shrink and then stick them on a server and use Plex software. BOOM! Instant CygnusFlix which I can watch from every SmartTV in my house. So file size is important, even though I have 6TB of space, I've got a huge DVD collection.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If the "pissy" reference was aimed at me,
    Not necessarily aimed at you so much as a pre-emptive comment as we do sometimes get various people who post here and blast the whole idea of writing to any discs.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    In an ideal world I'd save files to a hard drive and burn to disc as a backup
    I agree with you, if you Ripping Movies or "Video Games".

But I am more into Music Video Clips:
    I use the files in the Computer as a back-up ...and make custom DVD's (No Intro's, No Outro's, No Watermarks, Adjust volume levels, etc.) ...more like a CD with a live flexibility, for easy playback at the parties or clubs.

Just saying.
    Last edited by DJ_ValBec; 15th Nov 2014 at 14:59.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just some general comments:

I haven't used Shrink for a while, but it's still a good program and I would recommend it if you plan to keep the DVD format and burn to disk or not. Use ImgBurn for burning, though.

I do use AnyDVD and I doubt the problem is there. But anything is possible. I would also recommend re-installing DVD Shrink. Worth a try, anyway.

I generally use AnyDVD and VidCoder and go directly from DVD disc to MKV (H.264 and AC3 5.1, CQ=19.5).

I just now ripped a DVD to my HDD using AnyDVD. That took about 10 minutes.
    I ran that same rip through VidCoder from my HDD. That took 13 minutes. Total 23 minutes for this DVD to MKV conversion.

Then I ran VidCoder directly from my DVD drive with AnyDVD in the background. Converting to MKV with the same settings took 13 and a half minutes.
    I don't remember how fast Shrink is, but it should be similar. I see no reason to end up with a extra DVD copy. Your results may vary.

I do rip my BDs to HDD when I convert those to MKV. But I use RipBot, 2 pass and it takes a couple of hours. I don't want to thrash my BD drive that long.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Post erased. My bad.
    Last edited by DJ_ValBec; 15th Nov 2014 at 15:09. Reason: Wrong answer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Tried various suggestions/remedies (reinstall 'shrink' etc) still same problem. Actually not a problem, just extra step, Ripping whole disk takes a bit longer, copying/moving to hdd with e-sata setup is very fast, makes up for it.

"The New Way"

so it goes, -corne-

Thanks for the suggestions, tho.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    .."The New Way"...
    Since the "old" (5 years or so) copy protection where we have to tell to the ripper program the right Tittle # to rip: by watching the original DVD on the TV & find out witch Tittle is playing the Main Movie (TV Remote Control > Menu).

It is just more "quick" to rip the DVD as Full-Disc, then select Movie-Only on Shrink (Re-Author > Tittle #1 ...Usually ), etc.

Just saying.
    Last edited by DJ_ValBec; 16th Nov 2014 at 15:26.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know this is an old post! The problem is not DVD SHRINK! It is AnyDVD! It has to do with a certain disk protection, not all! mainly with Disney and a few others, or maybe a certain year that they added a new encryption, who knows! I do know this much! Dvdfab passkey and DVD Shrink works with these discs on the fly without copying to hard drive! So that should answer your question! Like I said this protection doesn't mess with all just some! DVD Shrink, is getting a bum wrap on here! The one that should be taking the hard knocks is AnyDVD! Am I saying this is the Case in all versions of AnyDVD? No! just with the few versions I worked with, and it is true with the latest version, You know the version Before they was shutdown and later became REDFOX AnyDVD! Just because something is old, don't just kick it to the curb, like some do old people! DVD Shrink! is still a great little Gem with the right help to go with it! Just remember, when You get old, You better pray someone is around to help You! and don't kick You to the curb LOL! Regards!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!