VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there, I'm going to be building a pc shortly mainly video editing. The system will be based upon an Amd FX-9370. ( or is it worth the extra £20 for the FX-9590?) I'll be putting 16 gb ram in it. My main problem is choosing a graphics card. The card must be compatable with Sony movie suite platinum 12, ie the program will utilise the graphics card for rendering etc. There is a lot of conflicting information about sony and compatable graphic cards out on the net. I want to get the most "bang for bucks" out of the card and want to spent between £100 and £150. Have you members any suggestions?

TIA Disastermaster.
    Quote Quote  
  2. In my opinion the CPU is more important than GPU for rendering. But here are the requirements for both Intel and AMD for Movie Studio 12:

512 MB GPU memory •NVIDIA, INTEL, or AMD GPU:NVIDIA Requires a CUDA-enabled GPU and driver 270.xx or later. ◦GeForce GPUs: GeForce GTX 4xx Series or higher (or GeForce GT 2xx Series or higher with driver 285.62 or later). ◦Quadro GPUs: Quadro 600 or higher (or Quadro FX 1700 or higher with driver 285.62 or later). NVIDIA recommends NVIDIA Quadro for professional applications and recommends use of the latest boards based on the Fermi architecture. AMD/ATI Requires an OpenCL-enabled GPU and Catalyst driver 11.7 or later with a Radeon HD 57xx or higher GPU. If using a FirePro GPU, FirePro unified driver 8.85 or later is required. INTEL Requires an OpenCL-enabled GPU such as HD Graphics 4000.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, like TreeTops said, CPU is more important.

But AMD cards tend to perform better when using Sony NLE's for GPU assisted rendering. They rely more heavily on OpenCL. You can look at various computer/hardware sites for benchmarks. (Nvidia cards perform better with Adobe NLE's, which rely more on CUDA)
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!