VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey Ladies and Gents (mostly gents I assume on this forum),

Any idea why my caps of previously recorded (via Ceton card) HD cable TV programs will consistently yield about 150-200 dropped resync audio or video frames (when editing out pre and post padding with Video ReDo) when captured via HDMI input for both video and audio, but captures of the exact same programs via component plus optical cables will yield no errors?

The capture card is a Colossus with latest driver in an i5 Ivy Bridge based windows 7 64bit HTPC which also contains a Ceton Infinitv4. Using ShowBiz as capture software, but Hauppauge capture program gives the same results (when it works- seems pretty glitchy to me).

HDMI caps used a HDMI cable from HTPC to ViewHD splitter with one HDMI out to TV and other HDMI out to Colossus.

Component caps used an xbox360 extender playing back the program with component and optical from the xbox to the colossus.

I've tried this with several different TV programs (all about 2 hours in length) all with same result: 150-200 dropped resync frames when captured via HDMI, and zero dropped frames when captured via component (dropped frames for resync as reported by VideoReDo during editing).

Thanks for any thoughts as to an explanation for this discrepancy- Nick
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Perhaps the broadcast contained some small audio errors which the Xbox 360 extender could correct, while the HTPC output them as-is? I dunno.

Tried a different HDMI cable?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nickster View Post
    Hey Ladies and Gents (mostly gents I assume on this forum),

Any idea why my caps of previously recorded (via Ceton card) HD cable TV programs will consistently yield about 150-200 dropped resync audio or video frames (when editing out pre and post padding with Video ReDo) when captured via HDMI input for both video and audio, but captures of the exact same programs via component plus optical cables will yield no errors?

The capture card is a Colossus with latest driver in an i5 Ivy Bridge based windows 7 64bit HTPC which also contains a Ceton Infinitv4. Using ShowBiz as capture software, but Hauppauge capture program gives the same results (when it works- seems pretty glitchy to me).

HDMI caps used a HDMI cable from HTPC to ViewHD splitter with one HDMI out to TV and other HDMI out to Colossus.

Component caps used an xbox360 extender playing back the program with component and optical from the xbox to the colossus.

I've tried this with several different TV programs (all about 2 hours in length) all with same result: 150-200 dropped resync frames when captured via HDMI, and zero dropped frames when captured via component (dropped frames for resync as reported by VideoReDo during editing).

Thanks for any thoughts as to an explanation for this discrepancy- Nick
    I know that I had the same trouble that you are describing when I was using HDMI + optical audio. The problem vanished after I switched to HDMI for video and audio.

I have been trying to find any recordings made in early August (after I got my HDMI splitter and before I gave up on optical audio) which have this problem to analyze further. I have tested the 3 files from that period that I found and haven't seen any yet that have this problem. All I get are PTS overflow warnings. Either I deleted all the problem files, or something has changed that stops the problem from occurring. Either way, it doesn't look like I can go any further with my investigation.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the input guys.

I've tried several different HDMI cables and even a different splitter, and I've tried HDMI plus optical and just HDMI (carrying both video and audio) input into the Colossus with similar results. They don't seem like a random number of dropped frames; when I would capture the same program several times to try different HDMI cables and different splitters, there were exactly the same number of dropped audio resync frames when editing with VideoReDo every time I captured the same program. I posted on the VideoReDo forum too to see if there are settings within VideoReDo that for some reason are causing unnecessary resync dropped audio frames.

Is there another program like VideoRedo that I can edit with that would also tell me if there were resync frames dropped during editing? I downloaded and tried TSDoctor for editing the caps, and it will list several (maybe 10 or so) warnings but no errors in the editing summary. Does TSDoctor remove audio/video frames for resync purposes like VRD, and if so, would they be classified as warnings or errors in the summary?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Update:

I captured some of the same previously recorded TV shows using a ViewHD splitter and a ViewHD HDMI to component converter (HDMI output from HTPC to ViewHD splitter, one HDMI from splitter to monitor, one HDMI from splitter to ViewHD converter with component output and optical output of converter to component input and optical audio input of Colossus card).

The component caps (using the ViewHD converter) had exactly the same number of dropped resync audio frames as the HDMI caps. Therefore it wasn't component vs HDMI input that resulted in dropped frames- the difference was when an xbox360 as an extender played the programs for the colossus to capture, there were no dropped frames. When the HTPC played the programs with its own video card (in this case the on chip Intel HD Graphics 4400) and ran them through a splitter to be captured by the colossus either via analog or digital input, there were dropped resync audio frames, and exactly the same number of dropped frames when recorded via component or HDMI.

I'm still not certain the dropped resync frames when edited with Video ReDo are not some sort of unnecessary resync on the part of VideoReDo, as TSDoctor does not list any resync frames when editing the same files, and even the unedited caps seem to be in good sync to me. I posted on the VideoReDo forum to inquire about this possibility, but have not had any responses.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    %APPDATA%\VideoReDo-TVSuite4\VideoReDo.Log should show the timecodes where it performed resync correction.

I'm assuming you're bitstreaming a 5.1 signal. What happens if you change your playback settings to output it to the Colossus as 2.0 instead?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!