VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I've got some interesting film by local people. They don't have subtitles and do not possibly look like having any on the web. I am interested in making subtitle so that foreigners will be able to understand. (They are not speaking rare Asian language). Is there any simple way to add subtitles without lots of headache? I remember many many many years ago I once tried working with subtitles, and I remember it was a headache to me.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you consider actually going through the video, jotting down what was said, then determining the exact moment the text should appear onscreen to be 'a headache'?

SubtitleEdit
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    Do you consider actually going through the video, jotting down what was said, then determining the exact moment the text should appear onscreen to be 'a headache'?

SubtitleEdit
    just wondering if it's possible NOT to manually type in the exact moment. It's very troublesome to input time format. A lot of mouse clicks mean give-up, especially if it's not doing for money , like me.
    Quote Quote  
  4. In Subtitle Edit you can view the audio wave part and get the time codes by "dragging" on the wave view.

Or create by watching the video, stop it. Press "Set Start Time"/"Set End Time" on the Create Tab.
    Last edited by videobruger; 3rd Oct 2014 at 16:13.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    For 10 minutes of video it will take about 2 hours or more making subtitles using subtitle edit so if you have 2 hours or more of video look at about 25 hours and more,if there's hardly any words spoken then it will be easier.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
    just wondering if it's possible NOT to manually type in the exact moment.
    Most subtitling programs have a way to avoid having to do that. In Substation Alpha, for example, the one I use, you open a mono 8-bit WAV file of the audio and left-click the mouse on the waveform to set a start time and right-click to end the line of dialog, type in the translation, and go on to the next line. Aegisub, another very popular subtitling program, is similar. Maybe for a beginner such as yourself it'll take as long as Johns0 says, but with experience it takes much less time.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If they're talking too fast, sometimes it's prudent to start the subtitles early and/or display some of them late. Experience will help you make those kinds of decisions faster.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!