VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!

I need help on how to restore an mpg file. Few months ago my friends recorded a wedding. Nothing special happened when recording. All files can be played normally but this one file which he sent to me few days ago. The file is a 1,54 GB .mpg file (MPEG-2 I think) and should contain around an hour of recording. Windows detected it's length 00:10:32 only.

The file could be played on MPC or VLC but can't be sought on MPC. Also MPC is crashed after playing around 10 minutes, the first 10 minutes was played normally though. In VLC, if I seek past 10 minutes the player slowly eat RAM to 100%. Video editors can't open the file.

I tried MPEG-Corrector, the new file is now detected as 06:41:04(!) file in Windows, but still not seek-able.

I tried VCDgear (setting: mpeg - > mpeg, Fix MPEG Error) the new file is now a usable 476 MB file with 10:32 length (Windows detect its length 01:01:05) seek-able and work fine on video editors.

I tried MPEG Tools in TMPGEnc and do Simple Multiplex—honestly I don't understand this mux-demux thing nor how to use TMPGEnc, I was just trying everything—and I get a similar file with VCDgear output. 406 MB, 10:32 length (Windows detect 00:20:25).

Lastly I open ProjectX. I also don't know how to use it, but I found some interesting thing. First, in the right panel it's written 00:42:08:00. This number (or time) is changed as I slide the seek bar to the right, the frame/picture preview works fine too. At a point there was red error message. I put the screenshots links below.

This is the first frame
    This is the last no-error frame

After that if I press right arrow on keyboard, it says:
    picture decoding not possible, not enough data in buffer

After "picture decoding not possible, not enough data in buffer"
    - if I pressed left arrow:
    picture decoding not possible, no preview for MPEG-4/H.264
    no Sequ but GOP header found

- if I slide the bar to right more:
    cannot find sequence header

Is this file still recoverable? Please help.

I don't know whether it's useful but here's some hex view screenshot

First page.

From this point below until the end is 00
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, you have an mpeg2 file that magically transforms into h.264 partway through, but nothing can decode it since there's no h.264 header to tell it how?

Exactly how many zeros are there on the end?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    So, you have an mpeg2 file that magically transforms into h.264 partway through, but nothing can decode it since there's no h.264 header to tell it how?

Exactly how many zeros are there on the end?
    Hi ndjamena, there are a lot of zeros, I can't count. lol
    You see, on the right side of my second hex view screenshot there is scroll bar. From that point if I scroll to the bottom, everything is like:

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00-00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

SS of the bottom of hex view
    Quote Quote  
  4. 00 that mean empty
    if in hex view 80% fill with 00
    that you really have only 10 min
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And what exactly do you expect to be able to recover from that?

Figure out exactly where the last bit of actual non zero data is, then figure out how many non-zero bytes that adds up to, then compare that number to the size of the fixed version. If they're about the same, then you're done.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by roma_turok View Post
    00 that mean empty
    if in hex view 80% fill with 00
    that you really have only 10 min
    Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    And what exactly do you expect to be able to recover from that?

Figure out exactly where the last bit of actual non zero data is, then figure out how many non-zero bytes that adds up to, then compare that number to the size of the fixed version. If they're about the same, then you're done.
    Around 60% is zeros, and the non-zero is around 400 MB. So.., well, I'm really done then. Guess I'm outta luck. lol

Btw—excuse this noob question—since it's detected by ProjectX from 42:08 until around minute 50 is it means that the 10 minutes playable video is originally recorded on that 10 minutes? (instead of first 10 minutes)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some of my DVD rips have odd starting time-codes, I wish I could figure out how to get rid of them en masse. I just demuxed the first episode of Buffy into an mpg and loaded it into Project X, it shows the first frame as starting at one hour and ten seconds. It's just reporting the time-codes written into the stream, which may or may not have anything to do with the file. It could be the time relative to when the camera was turned on or it could be that that file was part of a larger video, you're in a better position to determine that than me.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm... I see. Well then, thank you for the clear answers guys. I learned a lot of things today.
    And at least now I know that that 10 minutes really is all I have. Hahahaha...
    Quote Quote