VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys-
    My home broadband was knocked out for almost a month; when restored there was a strange change in the ID of my home network...

Backstory: this is a dual boot Tosh with up-to-date Ubuntu and poor ol' Vista to run the couple pricey programs I sometimes need.
    The Security suite is Norton 360, and everything is kept current. (Never really had all the woes most hated Vista for.)

OK the problem is that Windows is now identifying my home network as a Public "Unidentified Network" and when I go to the Control Panel>Network & Internet>Network & Sharing Center, the icon map shows my router as 'unidentified network' where it used to be named as 'FrontierXXXX'. It won't show a full map because it is 'public' and the customize link won't let me change the name.

When I read the conditions for Public & Private, I am unsure of some of the options, as I just read malware is showing up on wireless printers and such.

There is a longish list of settings, including 'People Near Me' which I seem to have activated just by looking at it...

What settings do you guys use for home networks, and is there somewhere in Norton that overrides Windows controls?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Been a long time since I used Vista, but if you go to the 'Network and Sharing Center>Change advanced sharing settings', you should see your internet connection profile.
    I'm guessing it's set at 'Public' and not 'Home or Work'. The latter is a 'Private' setting. You should be able to reset it.

If not, Windows does seem to hang onto messed up settings for internet connections. Seems like I logged into a airport LAN once and my laptop still tries to find it each time
    my ISP is down. I was never able to delete that setting.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You have VMware player installed ? Look no further
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys!
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Been a long time since I used Vista, but if you go to the 'Network and Sharing Center>Change advanced sharing settings', you should see your internet connection profile.
    I'm guessing it's set at 'Public' and not 'Home or Work'. The latter is a 'Private' setting. You should be able to reset it.

If not, Windows does seem to hang onto messed up settings for internet connections. Seems like I logged into a airport LAN once and my laptop still tries to find it each time
    my ISP is down. I was never able to delete that setting.
    You can go into the network settings and look in the wireless connections for the first places where your laptop will login to and delete the airport login.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!