VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hello good day to you--would like to know where the avisynth script generated by avstodvd is so i can look at it? Also, what is the best method/tools to convert pal video to ntsc video without losing quality--I used movavi and it did a pretty good job but would like to know if there is a better way with better results. TIA.
    Quote Quote  
  2. [BTW] I bought some years back cheap vizio VBR133 BD player in Wallmart, still playing and loading even PAL DVD's as well ...[/BTW]
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi there,

you can view and edit the AviSynth script going to 'Edit Title'/'AviSynth', deselect 'Auto AviSynth Script'. Be careful, it is easy to mess up the script and get non-DVD-compliant streams.

About PAL to NTSC conversion, nowadays it is usually suggested to keep the original standard, since many DVD (or Media) players do actually read almost everything. Anyway, if you really need to convert to NTSC, there are 3 framerates conversions (25->29.97 fps) approaches with AVStoDVD:

1. (default for progressive source) Pulldown from 25 fps to 29.97 fps. Time will not change, but you will see some glitches in the output video, mainly visible on fast scenes.

2. (alternative for progressive source) slowdown from 25 fps to 23.976 fps then 3:2 pulldown to 29.97 fps. Time will slightly extend, no glitches are visible thanks to the very smooth 3:2 pulldown effect.

3. (default for interlaced source, worst case at all) deinterlacing, MotionProtectedFPS conversion, reinterlacing. The result is acceptable, even if some frames blending effect is visible to an expert eye.

Good luck and post here your impressions on the results.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  4. for 25i to 29.97i,
    how about, 25i to 50p (QTGMC) , resize to NTSC resolution, convertfps("ntsc_double") , low pass filter (or not), reinterlce
    Quote Quote  
  5. thanks for both replies. I will try them out and let you know. Good day to all.
    Quote Quote  
  6. "2. (alternative for progressive source) slowdown from 25 fps to 23.976 fps then 3:2 pulldown to 29.97 fps. Time will slightly extend, no glitches are visible thanks to the very smooth 3:2 pulldown effect."

does the above use the avstodvd option "Use NTSC SlowDown for progressive PAL to NTSC:" and if so then this means you have to resample your audio? TIA.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by zerobyte01 View Post
    "2. (alternative for progressive source) slowdown from 25 fps to 23.976 fps then 3:2 pulldown to 29.97 fps. Time will slightly extend, no glitches are visible thanks to the very smooth 3:2 pulldown effect."

does the above use the avstodvd option "Use NTSC SlowDown for progressive PAL to NTSC:" and if so then this means you have to resample your audio? TIA.
    Yes, exactly. AVStoDVD takes care of that. See the ResampleAudio(48000) in the AviSynth script.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  8. thanks very much _MrC_ you've been very helpful. Good day to you sir
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    The best norm conversion between PAL and NTSC is avoiding it, because it destroys the quality of at least the video or the audio.

Modern flatscreen HD TV sets should be able to adapt to all of their frame rates.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    Modern flatscreen HD TV sets should be able to adapt to all of their frame rates.
    That is not often true in North America. Multi-system HD TVs are rare in here. Only some HD TVs from minor brands are multi-system, and the feature is probably not listed in their manuals.

As previously mentioned, there are some DVD players and Blu-Ray players able to convert from PAL to NTSC when playing DVDs, although few of these players can be made region-free by consumers. For example, the Philips DVD player and LG Blu-Ray player that I bought for my parents can do the conversion, but they can only play Region 1, Region 0 and all-region discs.
    Quote Quote  
  11. he perhaps meant to just copying PAL content, making it mp4 or just re-wrap it with Vob2mpeg if it is DVD or something, and to play it through USB or network, media player, and feeding that to HDTV
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!