VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    anyone know how i can snip the URL's from that folder ?

that seems to be a special folder, with many sub-sections (tabs) of info. i just want the url's so that i can see if they are in my host file. it seems that whenever google takes me to a websites, the url(s) are added to that folder location. and there are many now. i don't want to delete them yet until i have reviewed them. i am also thinking of keeping them in a database for future reference. thank you.

windows xp home, sp3
    Quote Quote  
  2. Right Click/Add to Favorites? You can probably copy and paste them to another location too.

Mind you I'm not sure they'd be there if they were in your hosts file, because the whole point of them being in your hosts file is to stop you navigating to particular IP addresses (that's what people often use it for, anyway). I never use the hosts file for blocking myself and I don't use IE for anything other than clearing out the stuff which manages to find it's way to the temporary internet files folder even though I don't use IE, so I could be completely wrong there.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Go to control panel and double click the Internet Option icon, look for browser history on the general tab and click settings, click the view files button, an explorer window opens, click the search button or hit F3 and search for *.*. This will list everything in the cache, you can select all (ctrl-A) in the results pane and copy everything to another folder, but what you'll get will not be the same, you will get the real file names (not very useful). However, you can review the search results and if you look up the properties of an item (ALT-Enter), the file name (URL) will be highlighted and you can copy that (CTRL-C) and paste it in your database or notepad. There must be some kind of cache manager program out there I just can't recall any right now, but I would probably start by looking at Nirsoft or Glary utilities (I'm just short on time right now).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thank you guys. i knew it wouldn't be an easy way of grabbing those names. anyway.

i did some more research and long story short, i reinvented the wheel from an old project that i did work in for copying lists from various windows applications but i made this utility separate from that project for the time being. later, i will incorporate the two as one. for now, i just needed a way to get listings into a clipboard or file for later review. this utility grabs the list contents from a folder or syslistview32 control in a windows application and puts it into a memo/notepad, text format, tab-delimited, and can be pasted into excel or database for review and manipulation. simple and just what i need for quick snips.

Quote Quote  
  5. That would be an interesting program, I use a spreadsheet to sort and weed out duplicates when I merge lists for my HOSTS file.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!