VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have here an unfinalized DVD-R. The very eccentric standalone DVD recorder on which it was burned is refusing to finalize it. (No, there's probably nothing wrong with the DVD; the recorder is just weird.) Anyway does anyone know of any software that could finalize the DVD without having to duplicate it onto another DVD? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've had a problem like that with a Samsung recorder, I managed to get it to "recognize" and finalize the disc by recording a few seconds of blue screen.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vcats View Post
    I have here an unfinalized DVD-R. The very eccentric standalone DVD recorder on which it was burned is refusing to finalize it. (No, there's probably nothing wrong with the DVD; the recorder is just weird.) Anyway does anyone know of any software that could finalize the DVD without having to duplicate it onto another DVD? Thanks.
    There is no software I know of that reliably finalizes discs recorded by DVD players. Even if somebody suggests software for this purpose, you should attempt to recover the data with software first in case further attempts to finalize the disc make the disc unreadable.

How to make disc image to store on your PC:
    1. Download ISO Buster's free trial.
    2. Open ISOBuster
    3. Select DVD drive (If you can see "Track 01" in the left hand pane, it can recover at least some of your data)
    4. Open Options menu
    5. Select "Image File"
    6. Select "ISO/BIN/TAO" Tab
    7. Uncheck both boxes
    8. Close dialog window
    9. Right click on "Track 01" in left-hand pane
    10. Select "Extract Track 01"
    11. Select "Extract User Data (*.tao, *.iso, *.wav)"
    12. Choose where you want to save the data. (It will copy everything it can find as one big .tao file)

If you need to recover your recordings from the tao file, the procedure below works for me.
    1. Download and install the free trial of MPEG-VCR
    2. Change the file extension from .tao to VOB.
    2. Open the VOB file with MPEG-VCR
    3. Edit to place each recordings into its own .mpg file.

The recovered recordings can be watched on a PC or re-authored as a new DVD.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!