VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm posting my Virtualdub External Encoder preset along with a quick tutorial on how to use it. You'll need to download the encoders and muxers and put them on your HDD somewhere. Then you'll need to edit the paths to the encoders and muxers.

Here are what you'll need to get:

AVC (x264)
    HEVC(x265/Divx265)
    Mpeg-2 (ffmpeg)

AAC (Nero)
    ac3 (ffmpeg)
    mp2 (ffmpeg)
    DTS (dcaenc)

mp4 (MP4Box)
    mkv (MkvMerge)
    mpg (ffmpeg)

Animated GIF (ffmpeg)
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by racer-x; 28th Sep 2014 at 11:55.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I figured out how to export to ProRes from virtualdub via external encoder. You will need ffmpeg. Get the latest and you can use 64-bit version, even if you use 32-bit Virtualdub because the data is pipped to the encoder. I use 64-bit versions of all encoders and muxers for speed and greater memory use.

Prores is a good intermediate codec. I use it after Deshaker for example. Rename the attached file to: ProRes.vdprof , then import.
    Image Attached Files
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks racer-x, adding this preset to my toolkit!...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. can Mainconcept totalcode as set as external encoder of virtualdub?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Probably, if you use the right commands and have access to the encoder exe. I don't have is, so I can't help.

Worst case scenario, you could use virtualdub's frameserver to frameserve to any encoder the accepts avi.
    Last edited by racer-x; 1st Oct 2014 at 12:08.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have try using virtualdub to frameserve totalcode but he don't accept, but I have to do other proofs
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Encoders must be command line and must accept stdin "-" from pipe.

Here are most of the proven encoders so far...

Known Video Command Line Encoders:

cuda.exe (have to get from Selur)
    divx265.exe (hevc)
    ffmpeg.exe 32-bit (several different formats)
    ffmpeg.exe 64-bit (several different formats)
    mencoder.exe (x264 and ?)
    mpeg2enc.exe (mpeg2)
    vp8/vp9 (for WebM)
    x264 64-bit
    x264 32-bit
    x265.exe (hevc)
    xvid_encraw.exe (I could not get this encoder to work. Use ffmpeg instead)

Known Audio Command Line Encoders:

aften.exe (ac3)
    faac.exe (aac)
    fdkaac.exe (this is an autobuild file)
    lame.exe (need lame_enc.dll in same folder)
    neroAacEnc.exe (aac)
    oggenc2.exe (ogg for WebM)
    WMAEncode.exe

Known Command Line muxers:

dsmux.exe
    32-bit mkvmerge.exe
    64-bit mkvmerge.exe
    32-bit mp4box.exe (need js32.dll in same folder)
    64-bit mp4box.exe

...you can either download these encoders or you could download Selur's Hybrid program and copy the contents of the main folder to your Tools folder. There are a couple that are missing from Hybrid because of licensing (neraacenc.exe).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can upload either my master VDPROF file or break it down into separate encoder sets. You'll have to either change the paths or move the files.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ racer-x
    The animated gif is output ok along with a zero byte file - same name as the gif but no extension.
    Any ideas?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sambat View Post
    @ racer-x
    The animated gif is output ok along with a zero byte file - same name as the gif but no extension.
    Any ideas?
    You can just delete the zero byte no extension file. It is just a temporary file. I haven't figured out how to auto delete that one yet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    I can upload either my master VDPROF file or break it down into separate encoder sets. You'll have to either change the paths or move the files.
    I think it would be best to break it down into separate encoder sets, so people can pick and choose. It can quickly get cluttered with a large selection of encoders / muxers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by racer-x; 2nd Oct 2014 at 18:27.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    I think it would be best to break it down into separate encoder sets, so people can pick and choose. It can quickly get cluttered with a large selection of encoders / muxers.
    OK. Most of my encoders are in C:\Tools which is the recommended folder so that is where most of my paths will be directed to unless they need to be in program files.

I suggested an option to load and unload vdprof files to Avery Lee but I don't know if he will put it in a future release or not. A right click option to select all encoder sets and remove would help. As it is now, you have to remove each encoder and encoder set one by one before adding a new vdprof file and if there is already a certain encoder in the vdprof file then Virtualdub will refuse to load the file.

One user on the Virtualdub forum mentioned starting a wiki page with links to all versions of Virtualdub with all plugins, acm codecs, encoders and guides for using the external encoder, the curve editor and smart rendering. A lot more users would be interested if it was easier for them to use without having to search for everything on their own.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To be clear on the procedure to add a new profile where one already exists, I attempted to import 'MySettings.vdprof' and got the expected message that the profile 'mp4box' existed.
    I exported the existing .vdprof from VDub then slightly changed the encoder profile name of mp4box; deleted all existing settings and imported it back into VDub.
    Then I imported 'MySettings.vdprof' and it was integrated OK - granted the two profiles used slightly different paths, but it seems to work ok.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To be clear on the procedure to add a new profile where one already exists, I attempted to import 'MySettings.vdprof' and got the expected message that the profile 'mp4box' existed.
    I exported the existing .vdprof from VDub then slightly changed the encoder profile name of mp4box; deleted all existing settings and imported it back into VDub.
    Then I imported 'MySettings.vdprof' and it was integrated OK - granted the two profiles used slightly different paths, but it seems to work ok.
    That is why I mentioned it above. If it's just one encoder or encoder set that is causing it not to load then you can remove it but it's easier just to remove everything and load the vdprof that you want.

My master vdprof file consists of 1,513 lines of text and has just about any encoder set you'd want. WMV is not possible although I was able to get some WMA files to work. I'll go ahead and upload the master vdprof for anyone who is interested and try and create separate encoder sets.

Looking at the vdprof file and both my 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Virtualdub, I see they are both seeing my 64-bit encoders which isn't a problem for me but it could be for XP users or owners of 32-bit only versions of Windows. I'm going to have to mention this to Avery and see what he can do about it. It would be nice if every time you closed Virtualdub that it would close the vdprof file and force you to load it when you open Virtualdub but also give you the option of selecting a default vdprof file that it would automatically open.

I'll hold off uploading it until I can get it all figured out unless someone wants it the way it is and change the paths. Eventually, I'd like to see a sticky thread with 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Virtualdub with input plug-ins, filters, acm codecs, ffmpeg and command line encoders with links to guides for all the new features.
    Quote Quote  
  16. how to use mencoder as external encoder of virtualdub?

this is my settings below

audio:
    -ovc frameno -of rawaudio -af volnorm -oac faac -faacopts br=32:mpeg=4:
    object=2 -srate 22050 - -o "%(tempaudiofile)"

video:
    -nosound -of rawvideo -ofps %(fpsnum)/%(fpsden) -vf harddup,pp=md/lb,scale=%(width):%(height) -ovc x264 -ffourcc H264 -x264encopts crf=24:threads=2:bframes=2:level_idc=21:nopsnr:nos sim -af volnorm - -o "%(tempvideofile)"

multiplexer:
    -add "%(tempvideofile)" -add "%(tempaudiofile)" "%(outputname)" -fps %(fps)

But it don't work, and give some error message "Cannot seek backward in linear streams! Seek failed",

I don't know how to solve this problem,please give me some help,thanks
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Type: Video encoder
    Program: G:\Hybrid\mencoder.exe (or where-ever your copy is located)
    Command Arguments:
    Code:
    -demuxer rawvideo -rawvideo w=%(width):h=%(height):fps=%(fps) - -ovc x264 -x264encopts bitrate=3000 pass=1 nr=2000 -o %(outputname).mp4
    Output file name: %(outputname)Leave Blank
    Launch Parameters: Leave Interpret non-zero return code as error unticked. Tick the other three

Video encoder: Mencoder
    Audio encoder: none
    Multiplexer: none

File description: Mencoder x264
    File extension: mp4
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You're Welcome
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post

WMV is not possible although I was able to get some WMA files to work.
    ffmpeg can encode some types of WMV - wmv2, wma2

Have you tried using it with this command line WMV encoder?
    http://alexzambelli.com/WMV/#WMCmd
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

WMV is not possible although I was able to get some WMA files to work.
    ffmpeg can encode some types of WMV - wmv2, wma2

Have you tried using it with this command line WMV encoder?
    http://alexzambelli.com/WMV/#WMCmd

The problem with Windows Media is that it uses those .vbs files. A few of us tried but we couldn't get it working. Seems trying to mux with ffmpeg was a problem also

I still have the wmaencode.exe and I have a couple of WMV and WMA vdprof files. I gave up on them over a year ago though. I'll upload the vdprof files...
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  21. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    "In theory", it should be possible to add stdin support to the misnamed AVS2ASF program.
    The problem of course, is find someone who wants to do the job

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=133173
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well crap, I spent some time today with the encoder above trying to get it to work and then I figured out that myself and a couple of others had already been in that thread a year and a half ago trying to get vc1 to work. I figured all the geniuses over there could get something going but either MS has made it impossible or there is just zero interest. I think those were my final words. That I had no interest for myself but for others and also getting as many encoders as possible to work. There are a lot of command line encoders out there but not a whole lot of them support stdin.
    Quote Quote  
  23. how to use mencoder as external encoder of virtualdub?

Video part is solved,But Audio part still not OK?

this is my setting below(audio part):
    - -demuxer rawaudio -af volnorm -oac faac -faacopts br=32:mpeg=4bject=2 -srate 22050 -o %(outputname).aac

Please help me again!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You have to create a audio encoder set and a multiplexer set.

Change txt to vdprof and place file in your VDPROF folder. In Virtualdub, under Options > External Encoders > choose Import and select the Mencoder-264-aac-mp4.vdprof file.

Nevermind. I can get audio to encode but I can't get it to mux. Media info reads the file as AVI with H264 video. I wouldn't bother with Mencoder myself. Someone else with Mencoder experience helped me getting the video to work. I would use x264 myself.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  25. Thanks Darrells again.
    Quote Quote  
  26. @racer-x settings work well,but...
    how to change the bitrate that is:
    how to create two-pass encoding such as on the MeGUI how to create preset medium,slow,slower,very slow,placebo...
    also how to create (Nero AAC: NDAAC- HE) for 32,48,64 etc.
    Any help is appreciated...
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by prijatelj.v View Post
    @racer-x settings work well,but...
    how to change the bitrate that is:
    how to create two-pass encoding such as on the MeGUI how to create preset medium,slow,slower,very slow,placebo...
    also how to create (Nero AAC: NDAAC- HE) for 32,48,64 etc.
    Any help is appreciated...
    All of this is covered in the Guide in the Virtualdub Forum...

http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=18840&

If you have had Nero on your PC, you may already have a copy of neroAacEnc.exe on your PC (I use a program called "Everything" to search for files in Windows 7). If not, you'll need to download it from Nero. It's free but you have to give them your email address.

I believe the amount of bit rate depends on the preset and the crf value. You can use your own custom settings though. I have an encoder set for every preset except for placebo. Just create a new encoder (x264 medium) and copy your original x264 encoder, changing the preset and the crf value.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The newest test build (1.10.5-test7) gives you the option to overwrite the existing profiles when loading a .vdprof file.

Changes:

(test-7) Added /portablealt:<file> switch for using multiple INI files.
    (test-7) Added option to overwrite existing profiles when loading a .vdprof file.
    PluginAPI: Added SSE4.2 detection.
    AVI: Fixed crash when exporting segments with no audio track.
    Script: Added filters.BeginUpdate/EndUpdate() in saved job scripts to force timeline to update when frame rate changing filters are added.
    Quote Quote  
  29. many thanks for the answer but...
    Perhaps I did not explain...
    I already use external encoder with these settings
    I need vdprof for two passes (for example mkv)
    I do not know to do...
    i thought you or someone else creates vdprof script for two pass
    I'm using this: http://pastebin.com/index/k6BXn0Sx
    how to rewrite it for two pass?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!