VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm still using h264 encoding, through vfw and ffdshow versions inside vdub, but I'm quite decided to move to VP9 encoding after read of this page.

So, the next step is to find out the correct string to put on ExternalEncoder (ffmpeg) using Youtube recommendations, both, for audio and video (multiplexer).

Anyone?
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm pretty sure a VP9 preset is included in my package. Just edit the parameters to suit your needs.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    I'm pretty sure a VP9 preset is included in my package. Just edit the parameters to suit your needs.
    Are you talking about the first post?
    I could not find VP9 there.

Trying to use Google Encoding Guide, I got an error at the begining of the encoding process:
    "The video encoding process has prematurely exited with an error code of 1 (0000001). Check the log for possible error messages".

I looked for log files, but found none.

The parameters was:
    Code:
    -i rawvideo -c:v libvpx-vp9 -pass 1 -b:v 1000K -threads 1 -speed 4 -tile-columns 0 -frame-parallel 0 -auto-alt-ref 1 -lag-in-frames 25 -g 9999 -aq-mode 0 -an -f webm /dev/null "%(tempvideofile)"
    And the .vdprof is attached (renamed to TXT, because Videohelp refused correct extension).
    Image Attached Files
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't feel like messing with the 2-pass settings you posted earlier. This 1-pass does work, I just tested it. It is quality based and is currently set @ 5000k. Audio is set at 128k Vorbis. It gets muxed into .webm. You'll need the latest ffmpeg and you'll have to edit the path to ffmpeg.
    Image Attached Files
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, I tested your profile and it does work.

But the mess I did were my attempts to use the Google settings, as described at that link.
    I put the same parameters, to follow the Best Quality (Slowest) Recommended Settings.

Code:
    -i rawvideo -c:v libvpx-vp9 -pass 2 -b:v 1000K -threads 1 -speed 0 -tile-columns 0 -frame-parallel 0 -auto-alt-ref 1 -lag-in-frames 25 -g 9999 -aq-mode 0 -c:a libopus -b:a 64k -f webm out.webm
    Is there a way to reuse above settings, adjusting where it needs, and put it to work?
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sure, I got it to work. But the encoding speed is stupid slow and the quality is questionable. My settings are much better....

Copy and overwrite the commands in the VP9 v1 encoder:

Code:
    -f rawvideo -s %(width)x%(height) -r %(fpsnum)/%(fpsden) -i - -c:v libvpx-vp9 -b:v 1000k -threads 8 -speed 0 -tile-columns 0 -frame-parallel 0 -auto-alt-ref 1 -lag-in-frames 25 -g 9999 -aq-mode 0 -f webm "%(tempvideofile)"
    You're on your own now, this is too boring for me......
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post

You're on your own now, this is too boring for me......

Got it.
    That's OK.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  8. zeranoe's ffmpeg builds are still at libvpx 1.3. I haven't compared quality, but speed is definitely faster in 1.4
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's always the vpxenc.exe encoder. It does vp8 and vp9...

32 bit = http://download708.mediafire.com/x07osyjjw69g/3sd9rr33x3e1hwu/vpx-1.4_x86_20150404.7z
    64 bit = http://download2049.mediafire.com/hi8vw1d3tp8g/wj9czojjc9jfmcb/vpx-1.4_x64_20150404.7z

Here is a thread at doom9 with a lot of info.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=165839&highlight=vpxenc

Here is my vp9 two pass vdprof using vpxenc.exe and oggenc2.exe encoders. Just change the txt extension to .vdprof
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. DarrellS, I tested your profile, but I don't know about .stat file your are refering on it.
    And I'll take a look at doom9 threads.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I got around to trying out vpxenc.exe. After editing the script,it worked, but with problems. It reversed the color channels, so RGB was converted to BRG. After reversing the color channels in Virtualdub, it got close, but not exact. It is much faster though....

I'll wait till Zeranoe implements vpx 1.4 in ffmpeg.
    Quote Quote  
  12. DarrellS.

I'm confused about your .vdprof file, as said my on question here.

I guess you did not see my post yet.

What is and where is .stat file?
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  13. libvpx 1.4 is compiled in zeranoe's ffmpeg builds now
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jairovital View Post
    DarrellS.

I'm confused about your .vdprof file, as said my on question here.

I guess you did not see my post yet.

What is and where is .stat file?
    The .stat file is created on the first pass and is saved in the output folder. The stat file is then used for the 2nd pass to help with encoding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    libvpx 1.4 is compiled in zeranoe's ffmpeg builds now
    Excellent. I downloaded and tried it out. It is about 3x faster than the old version (1.3). The quality is great even at very low bitrates and no weird color channel problems like with vpxenc. I now deleted vpxenc out of my system.

Here is a quick 4k example encoded @ 1300 kb/s:
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by racer-x; 14th Apr 2015 at 18:35.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't do two pass encoding myself and I don't do vp9 since it is so slow but it is my understanding that you have to do two pass with vp9. The stats file is created by the first pass and is needed for the 2nd pass to encode the stream.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    I don't do two pass encoding myself and I don't do vp9 since it is so slow but it is my understanding that you have to do two pass with vp9. The stats file is created by the first pass and is needed for the 2nd pass to encode the stream.
    You don't have to do two-pass encoding with VP9. I prefer 1-pass encoding such as the example video I posted above.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That has changed from the earlier version. Another reason I gave up on it since I could not get single pass encoding to work. It's been a long while since I've tried to use it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    racer-x
    Could you post again your latest external encoders preset? That is, if you didn't update constantly your first post of this topic.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well here is the latest one I have saved. Mind you that these are the encoding settings that I like to use, you may have other preferences. You'll need the encoders and you'll have to edit the paths to those encoders....
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Howdy,

A few comments for you racer-x.

For your profile section...why not prefix (A, M, V) instead of numbers or not being prefixed at all. This would allow some sort of sorting to happen...if I recall correctly.

So maybe you would have something like:
    A AAC [Nero] (192kb)
    A AAC [Nero] (256kb)
    A AC3
    A DTS
    A MP2
    A OGG
    A WAV
    M FFmpeg (MPEG-TS)
    M FFmpeg (VP9)
    M MKVmerge
    M MP4Box (AVC)
    M MP4Box (HEVC)
    V AVC (DVDA-24p)
    V AVC (DVDA-60p)
    V AVC (HQ)
    V AVC (I-Frame)
    V AVC (Web)
    V GIF
    V HEVC [DivX]
    V HEVC [x265]
    V Mpeg-2
    V Mpeg-2 (I-Frame)
    V ProRes (LT)
    V ProRes (MOV)
    V ProRes (Normal)
    V VP9

Okay maybe a little anal...but I think it would look cleaner..and it might help in your trouble shooting as you go along...since you should be able to find stuff just a small bit faster.

Now another thing I noticed is if you leave the beginning of "program" path blank:
    "program": "Bin\\x264\\x264-10bit.exe",

VitualDub will fill in the first part with it's own path. So it may turn into:
    C:\Program Files\VirtualDub\Bin\x264\x264-10bit.exe

However there is a short term bug...when first Importing the VDprof file, it's path will be prefixed instead of VirtualDub's...until you restart VirtualDub...then it's path is then correctly prefixed. Course this bug wouldn't pop up if the VDprof file was Imported from VirtualDub's own path...rather than else where on ones system.

This makes things slightly more universal.

So one could have a folder structure like:
    Bin\AACGain\
    Bin\FFMpeg\
    Bin\FHGaacEnc\
    Bin\DivX\
    Bin\Levelator\
    Bin\MKVToolNix\
    Bin\MP4Box\
    Bin\NeroAAC\
    Bin\Qaac\
    Bin\Subtitle Edit\
    Bin\x264\
    Bin\x265\

Then one could package external tools for fairly easy deployment...given they would just have to be dumped into VirtualDub's path...then importing the VDprof file...would make things golden. As it wouldn't matter if things ended up in ether:
    C:\Program Files\VirtualDub\
    or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\VirtualDub\
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To each their own. everyone organizes their work area to suit them. You are free to rename them anyway you want to help you find them.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I went through and made my little changes...look things over and see if you want to adopt what I did or not.

Thanks by the way for all the effort thus far and sharing it with us.

My Revisions #1:
    Renamed Profiles
    Used Generic Pathing
    Used Generic Descriptions in Sets & Profiles
    Updated Sets with Renamed Profiles
    Renamed Sets
    Changed HEVC Sets to using 256kb AAC
    Exposed ProRes v2
    Sorted Sets & Profiles

My Revisions #2:
    Combined "M FFmpeg (MPEG-TS~M2V)" & "M FFmpeg (MPEG-TS/MOV)" into "M MPEG-TS" by using basic VDub Macro's
    Renamed "M FFmpeg (VP9)" to "M WEBM" and used basic VDub Macro's
    Renamed "M MKVmerge" to "M MKV"
    Combined "M MP4Box (AVC)" & "M MP4Box (HEVC)" into "M MP4" by using basic VDub Macro's
    Added -new command argument to "M MP4" to overwrite prior file if exists
    Updated "YouTube" description with generic info
    Set all the Muxer OutputFileNames values to empty strings
    Added complete MOV Muxxer "M MOV"
    Renamed "A OGG" to "A Vorbis"
    Added VBR & CBR variants of the following Audio Encoders
    - AAC (FDK, FHG, Nero, Qaac)
    - MP2
    - Opus
    - Vorbis
    Removed Nero AAC 256K Profile
    Changed the Naming Scheme for Audio Profiles
    Changed Sets to reflect changes to Audio Profile Naming Scheme

My Revisions #3:
    Removed MKVToolsNix
    Removed MP4Box
    Removed Divx H256
    Removed NeroAAC
    Removed TooLAME
    Made Video Only + Audio/Video Muxxers
    FFMpeg now handles all Muxxing
    Slimmed down Audio Profiles, it's ether VBR or CBR
    VBR = @~192K the "~" denotes VBR
    CBR = @256K
    Removed Elemental Streams Set
    Removed YouTube Set
    Added LAME MP3
    Added AVI Muxxer
    Added OGG Muxxer
    Removed -level #.# from AVC encoders
    Revised AVC encoder profiles to be based on ether Animation or Film, and 8bit vs 10bit
    Added HEVC 16bit profile (x64 only)
    Added Theora

Okay I've attached encoder collections, based on if you are x86 or x64.

I'd highly suggest backing up your current External Encoder Profile.

Extract one of the collections into your VirtualDub folder.

Then in the Bin folder you'll find a batch script that removes your current External Encoder settings from Vdub. This may require executing as Admin.

Then import the VDprof like normal...and everything should be ready to go.

This setup shouldn't require you to edit anything to get it working. At worst you may have to restart Vdub if you imported the VDprof from anywhere but you Vdub folder.
    Last edited by Nologic; 27th May 2015 at 04:59.
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    I'm posting my Virtualdub External Encoder preset along with a quick tutorial on how to use it.
    That was a GREAT help! As someone who only occasionally has to work with video, but has to do complex processing with it when he does, a guide like this really helps.

If a picture is worth 1000 words, your video saved me at least 1000 minutes of googling and trial and error!

Thanks!
    Fred
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm glad you found it useful....
    Quote Quote  
  26. Very nice, that external encoder feature.
    Have it working for X264 but I'm not able to render to MPEG2/AC3.
    Also, it appears that no one ever uses interlaced because in the different ext. enc files I'm missing a TFF,BFF or PROG parameter....

So, how to add this to the following MPEG2 encoder command line?

Code:
    			"MPEG2": {
    				"name": "MPEG2",
    				"program": "ffmpeg\\ffmpeg.exe",
    				"commandArguments": "-f rawvideo -s %(width)x%(height) -r %(fpsnum)/%(fpsden) -i -vcodec mpeg2video -target pal-dvd \"%(tempvideofile)\"",
    				"outputFilename": "%(outputname).m2v",
    Thanks in advance for your help
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found a few references, but you'll have to do your own research.
    Code:
    -flags +ildct+ilme+loop -ildctcmp satd -cmp satd -subcmp satd -mbcmp satd -mbd rd -top 1
    -flags +ildct+ilme -alternate_scan 1 -top 1
    -flags +ilme+ildct -alternate_scan 1 -top 0
    So:
    Code:
    "commandArguments": "-f rawvideo -s %(width)x%(height) -r %(fps) -i - -c:v mpeg2video -flags +ildct+ilme -alternate_scan 1 -top 1 -target pal-dvd \"%(tempvideofile)\"",
    For top frame first...

And:
    Code:
    "commandArguments": "-f rawvideo -s %(width)x%(height) -r %(fps) -i - -c:v mpeg2video -flags +ilme+ildct -alternate_scan 1 -top 0 -target pal-dvd \"%(tempvideofile)\"",
    For bottom frame first...
    You might want to check out this thread for more of an idea.
    Last edited by Nologic; 14th Jun 2015 at 17:16.
    Quote Quote  
  28. @nologic:

Wow! Thanks! Works like a charm...

I had that "flags ilme" in my command line before but VirtualDub was complaining about "file does not exist".
    Probably I made a syntax-error.

Thanks again for your help!

Peter
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I been trying without success to adapt NVEncC as an external encoder for VirtualDub.

NVEncC is used by StaxRip to encode HEVC and H264 using nvidia GPUs
    (I think is using a pipe from AVS)

Maybe someone with more experience than I can figure out how to do it.

thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  30. --raw --input-res %(width)x%(height) --fps %(fpsnum)/%(fpsden) -i - -o "%(tempvideofile)"
    ?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!