VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Whenever I download a movie that is an MKV, it usually comes with subtitles. (srt file)

If I play the movie on my computer I can turn off the subtitles on VLCplayer. However, if I place the movie on a flash drive for my blue ray player, the movie no matter what keeps the subtitles. Even if I delete the srt file and try to disable the subtitles with the remote, they just don't seem to go away.

The subtitles aren't hardcoded but somehow retain the subtitles. How can I remove them? Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It seems that the MKV file has subs contained within the mkv container as well as the external. Just delete the srt and load the mkv into mkvmergegui and see if there are indeed any internal subs, if so just untick all but the video and audio and remux. No re encoding is involved so no loss of quality.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Worked great.

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I had the opposite problem, subs would always display on Media Player Classic for any file type. It was a pain to find where to turn them off at.

Here is where I went to turn them off in MPC,

From the menu bar at the top, go to >Play>DirectVobSub (auto-loading version)>Hide Subtitles

The only reason why I'm posting this, is because I have forgotten this in the past, and it was a complete pain in the but to find out how to turn them off/on again.

As you can see on the pull down menu from >Play, the subtitle menu option there is grayed out. Why is it even listed there? I wonder if I'm just using an old version of MPC.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If it's muxed into the MKV file, you can also do it via taskbar by right clicking the white haali or LAV icon (If you have it installed or use a codec pack) where all video, audio, subtitle tracks are listed and choosing no subtitles option.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    It seems that the MKV file has subs contained within the mkv container as well as the external. Just delete the srt and load the mkv into mkvmergegui and see if there are indeed any internal subs, if so just untick all but the video and audio and remux. No re encoding is involved so no loss of quality.
    Has Mkvmergegui been replaced by mkvtoolnix as the link above takes you to a page for mkvtoolnix?
    Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  7. "MKVToolNix" is a set of tools by author Moritz Bunkus. "mkvmerge GUI" ("mmg") was a graphical tool of said toolset (like "Word" is a part of "Office"). The author indeed replaced "mkvmerge GUI" with the newer "MKVToolNix GUI" several years ago. It should have all the features of the old GUI plus a lot more.

That's why all such links lead to the same videohelp site. The old "mkvmerge GUI" is not developed anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    "MKVToolNix" is a set of tools by author Moritz Bunkus. "mkvmerge GUI" ("mmg") was a graphical tool of said toolset (like "Word" is a part of "Office"). The author indeed replaced "mkvmerge GUI" with the newer "MKVToolNix GUI" several years ago. It should have all the features of the old GUI plus a lot more.

That's why all such links lead to the same videohelp site. The old "mkvmerge GUI" is not developed anymore.
    Thanks for the reply.

Are you familiar with using it? I downloaded and installed it and loaded the video I want to remove the subtitles from. I assume all you have to do is uncheck the subtitles checkbox and then choose Start Multiplexing? I hope that does not reencode the video?

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  9. Correct, it's that simple. No re-encoding happening.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great, thanks again
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!