VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I always use Verbatim DVD+RW media, which I formerly used on a Liteon LVW5005. Today I discovered that one of these disks, which the Liteon DD-A100 loaded, did not tape when set on timer record. The timer menu said it was 'not recorable media' - it is, but I assume this vague message actually means it's not been recognised. It would also not record when pressing the 'quick record' button on the handset.

This puzzles me, as it is exactly the same media as I have used before with no problems. Silver Verbatim DVD+RW (Mitsubushi MKM -A02-000). I know this disk has not been used much, so I do not think it can be scratches. It taped fine on the Liteon LVW5005, but has sat in a spindle for a while, so I wonder whether the layers have separated?
    My disk verfyer is telling me ' The volume does not contain a recognised file system', which again confuses me as the only thing it had on it was a video taped on a Liteon LVW5005 which the Liteon DD-A100 was happy enough to load, read and play. While I could not tape to disk, the Liteon DD-A100 would allow me to quick delete what's on the disk. Should I try a reformat - not the quick one, but the longer one which can take 30 minutes? Or does the 'unrecognised file system' message mean it just a coaster that's not worth bothering with?

While on the issue of media, on this Liteon DD-A100 model I have on occasion experienced picture jitter issues: I have come to the conclusion that it is probably due to two things:
    1. Damaged/dirty media - use a disk verfiying programme to test the disk can be read - I used Fix-it 4.0 last free version (the disk verfiyer utility, still works on a Win 7 64 bit, by the way.) This model seems a bit choosey about the media. (Not something I ever had an issue with on my older machine.)
    2. Taping at any mode beyond 3 hours LP - I have found EP mode is less stable, the older Liteon used to tolerate it, but the DD-A100 seems a little more picky, EP works fine sometimes, not at others. Unless taping something longer than 3 hours stick to LP. Viz picture jitter - anyone found a fix for it?

This Liteon tapes DVD_VR mode - it is true, not all dvd drives will recognise it (my older desktop Nec Opitarc DVD won't), update the firmware, but if you can't, get hold of a newer disk drive, an external USB for example and you should be able to use DVD Shrink to read it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bahjan View Post
    Hi,

I always use Verbatim DVD+RW media, which I formerly used on a Liteon LVW5005. Today I discovered that one of these disks, which the Liteon DD-A100 loaded, did not tape when set on timer record. The timer menu said it was 'not recorable media' - it is, but I assume this vague message actually means it's not been recognised. It would also not record when pressing the 'quick record' button on the handset.

This puzzles me, as it is exactly the same media as I have used before with no problems. Silver Verbatim DVD+RW (Mitsubushi MKM -A02-000). I know this disk has not been used much, so I do not think it can be scratches. It taped fine on the Liteon LVW5005, but has sat in a spindle for a while, so I wonder whether the layers have separated?
    My disk verfyer is telling me ' The volume does not contain a recognised file system', which again confuses me as the only thing it had on it was a video taped on a Liteon LVW5005 which the Liteon DD-A100 was happy enough to load, read and play. While I could not tape to disk, the Liteon DD-A100 would allow me to quick delete what's on the disk. Should I try a reformat - not the quick one, but the longer one which can take 30 minutes? Or does the 'unrecognised file system' message mean it just a coaster that's not worth bothering with?
    One possibility is that the problem DVD+RW is worn out. I know DVD+RW discs are supposed to be good for 1000 writes, but some fail much sooner than that. Another possibility is that the DVD burner is failing. One of the signs that a DVD burner is failing is that it starts having difficulty reading from or writing to media that it used to have no problems with. Lite-On DVD recorders are not known for having durable DVD burners.

Regarding the disc verifier saying the disc has an unrecognizable file system, maybe the file system is unreadable because re-writable discs use a phase change material which slowly returns to its original state over time. Some DVD drives may be better or worse than others at reading data from a disc containing a recording that is beginning to deteriorate. The LiteOn DD-A100 may be better at reading iffy discs than your PC drive .

You can try reformatting the DVD+RW, and see what happens. If the disc is worn out, chances are formatting will fail, and you can throw it out.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Sep 2014 at 11:26.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know why usually_quiet refers several times to DVD-RW when the OP said it was DVD+RW but anyway...

My experience is that RW discs, even Verbatim, sometimes just go bad. My dad had a LiteOn DVD recorder and he would use Verbatim DVD+RW discs. He would just buy a spindle of discs and if he had the slightest problem with one, I got him to just throw it away and grab a new disc off the spindle. I love Verbatim discs and they make the only RW media at all that I recommend (Taiyo Yuden doesn't make RW discs at all, which tells you what they think of the format) but I have seen a Verbatim DVD+RW disc go bad after one write. It only happened once, but it happened. I think their +RW discs are better than the -RW ones so my advice is just use a new disc and only worry about this if you have the same problem again. Do note that by now your LiteOn recorder is long in the teeth and it probably doesn't have a lot of time left before it starts to go bad. That depends on a variety of factors and it's impossible to predict, but all their models are old enough now to reasonable expect to start to have problems. Some are not really consumer repairable either, meaning you can't realistically expect to find parts yourself and just swap out a new burner. Some can, some can't.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I don't know why usually_quiet refers several times to DVD-RW when the OP said it was DVD+RW but anyway...
    It's a two cup of coffee morning but I only had one. I'll fix it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies - I'll try reformatting and see what happens - but I suspect the disk has failed after one write. The disk verifyer accepts other disks of the same type and examines them just fine, which makes me more convinced this disk has gone bad.
    Yes, I know Liteon have issues with hard drive fails, but this is the first time I've had a problem with a disk, and as far as I am aware the machine I am using is nearly new. However, you do have a point. Trouble is this liteon is much smaller and takes a laptop size dvd burner, unlike the LVW5005 I don't know which model or whether I can swop out the drive. I guess I'll find out when it happens....
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!