VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I've been trying to capture videos from a Sony HDR-HC9 to my 1 year old desktop Mac. I'm using the iLINK (IEEE 1394) to Thunderbolt. I had trouble until I upgraded the OS and FCP but once I did that, it was easy with my test tape UNTIL . . . I started trying to grab a bunch of a relative's tapes, some were filmed with this camera (as its hers), some filmed with other cameras. I obviously don't know what tapes were filmed with what camera nor when nor what the settings on the camera were.

So, with several tapes I started getting the message: "no output image in VCR HDV/DV. Cannot chge during i.LINK". I ended up following the "Guide" touchscreen option and switching VCR HDV/DV to "DV". And that works. My question, however, based on reading the forums and my initial difficulties is . . . can I assume these tapes really were filmed in DV? Is that why it works? Or is it downgrading them to DV? I guess I should assume that it is not downgrading them since i.LINK CONV is off. Anyway, I think I am just suspicious because of my problems up to this point but is there a way to tell if something is DV vs. HDV format?

Thanks,

Jon
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the tapes were shot on that HC9 & it doesn't play back unless camcorder is set to DV mode then those tapes were shot in DV mode. A genuine HDV tape can be viewed in HDV mode and if you choose to, downsampled on the fly by camcorder to DV. If its was a genuine HDV tape and something was wrong, it most likely wouldn't play back at all, HDV or DV modes alike. I could say grab another DV camcorder and try playing them there; if everything was working, obviously only DV tapes will play. But this scenario is a whole other can of worms: playing DV/HDV tapes in camcorders other than the one used to shoot the tape can be an unpredictable process, especially if the DV tapes were shot in LP mode.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!