VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm looking for software that can remove the restrictions from Broadcast Flags. Here in Canada BELL has encrypted every broadcast channel with analog and digital protections. I'm using a Diamond 1080P video game capture card which works great capturing the analog HD without analog Macrovision (Rovi) protection. I'm left with a digital protection that causes pixelation at exactly 4minutes and 34 seconds in NERO VISION 10 HD. The pixelation might be caused by Content Recordable Media Protection?

Need to get rid of that pixelation issue!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which Diamond capture device do you have? Model number GC500 or GC1000? Are you recording with Nero Vision 10 or editing with it when you see pixelation?
    Quote Quote  
  3. GC1000, I'm recording with the Diamond software as Nero does not detect the GC1000. I'm using Nero vision 10 HD for editing when the pixelation occurs at 4 minutes and 34 seconds.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Issue solved. I found a copy of Corel video studio pro x4, installed it and I encoded the captured video file in Corel video studio pro x4 and then imported that file into Nero Vision 10 HD and the pixelation does not occur. Awesome.

Whenever I recorded TV programs using the Diamond capture software that came with the Game Capture 1000, the file played perfect, when I imported the file into nero vision 10 HD for editing purposes the video would pixelate at 4:34, even during exporting from Nero Vision 10 HD the video would pixelate. Looks like Corel video studio pro x 4 ignores whatever digital protection that is embedded in the video from protected television recordings.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Regarding copy protection, it isn't likely to be CPRM. I have only seen CPRM used by DVD recorders. However, HDMI supports HDCP copy protection. Encountering HDCP usually causes capture software to stop recording, and maybe display an error message, but I suppose it might also cause capture software to create recordings with drop outs and pixelation. If you are recording from your set top box's HDMI connection, a hardware solution is the only way to fix the problem. There is no software hack to fix it. See the HDCP stripper thread which lists some inexpensive powered HDMI splitters that remove HDCP as a side effect.

If you are using the device's analog component connections I don't have any suggestions for software to help you. There doesn't seem to be any alternative capture software that works with your device. The only possibility would be to build a DirectShow filter graph with GraphStudio or GraphEdit, and cobble together a script that Task Scheduler can use to control it, but that is a project for people with greater technical expertise than most, and it doesn't work for every single HD capture device.

However, it just doesn't seem likely that using analog component video would cause copy protection problems. Analog component video in progressive resolutions like 480p, and 720p don't include a VBI to transmit CGMS-A or Macrovision. which may be why instructions for most HD capture devices suggest using analog component video for recording sources like a cable box or satellite receiver that apply HDCP copy protection to HDMI connections.

[Edit]It looks like you solved your own problem while I was typing my reply. The problem isn't copy protection at all. There is none. The problem is that you were using the wrong editing software. Capture files created by HD capture devices can be problematic for many editors. VideoReDo TV Suite H.264 and TSDoctor are often used to edit HD capture files and can also correct the irregularities that cause problems for other editors without re-encoding the whole video.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Sep 2014 at 21:11.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just some minor fact-checking.

Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Analog component video in progressive resolutions like 480p, and 720p don't include a VBI to transmit CGMS-A or Macrovision. which may be why instructions for most HD capture devices suggest using analog component video for recording sources like a cable box or satellite receiver that apply HDCP copy protection to HDMI connections.
    480p and 720p do include VBI (720p is 750 lines, apparently). CGMS-A can be used on both, but the DMCA doesn't force adherence to it so device manufacturers can be consumer-friendly if they don't have other reasons to comply with those who want to stop us from recording.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    480p and 720p do include VBI (720p is 750 lines, apparently). CGMS-A can be used on both, but the DMCA doesn't force adherence to it so device manufacturers can be consumer-friendly if they don't have other reasons to comply with those who want to stop us from recording.
    The HDMI technology license would restrict what can be done with HDCP protected input even if there was no DMCA. HDCP protected input can be displayed or passed on with HDCP intact, but not recorded.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Sep 2014 at 10:30. Reason: correct typo
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm not recording via HDMI as I do know about HDCP encryption. I'm recording via HD Analog component; Red, Green, Blue cables...lol...any who, I'm using another program that does not pixelate the video. Thanks for your input!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!