VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello! I'm trying to merge srt. file to mkv. file with mkvmerge GUI. The subtitle file contains ♪-characters and italics, which doesn't seem to work fine. I realized it has something to do with the charset I'm choosing for the subtitle file. By default option shows as and italic text as <i>italic text</i>. When I choose UTF-8 as charset ♪-character shows as supposed, but italic text still has the tags around it. Is there a charset which would show both of them as supposed on my blu ray player? Or at least shows the italic as supposed?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Your player has to support the <i>italic</i> tag. This is not a srt standard. http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/subtitles/srt.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My sony bdp-s380 supports italic tags in srt as long as there is only tags at the beginning and end of the line,if there are extra tags in the same line then they are shown,is that the case with your srt tags?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. That might be the case that my player doesn't support italic tags. I tried using the same srt, but didn't merge it to the video file, and it didn't show them as italic, but at least it removed the tags completely. So there wasn't any disturbing markers. Looks like I have to get rid of all the excessive tags.

Another thing I noticed is that merged subtitle generates a black background for the subtitle and makes the text smaller, compared to a seperate subtitle file. Is there anyway to avoid this?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!