VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    After editing a .mkv file the subtitles are lost. To reinsert them into the .mkv file, I understand I need to use mkvmergegui.

Problem: Subtitle Edit does not have an option to save the edited subtitle file as a PGS (ID 2, type: subtitles) file.

How do I save edited subtitles in the PGS format, I guess that means as an .sup extension?

EDIT: Thanks to videobruger and this thread, I figured it all out. Maybe someone else finds this useful:

• To split an .mkv file and keep subtitles within it:

Start mkvmerge GUI > add > browse to source .mkv file > Open

Global TAB > Split mode: split after duration
    For example the Duration: 00:32:01.019 would be 0 hours 32 minutes 1.019 seconds

Set Output filename location > Start muxing

• To
    1. Extract subtitle file from original source file
    2. Split subtitle file
    3. Combine split subtitle file with edited .mkv file which contains no subtitles.

1. Restart mkvmerge GUI > add > browse to source .mkv file > Open
    UNCHECK everything except for the subtitle file >

Set Outputfile name with complete path and extension, for example: C:\TestFolder\SubtitleOnly.mkv
    > Start muxing

2. Restart mkvmerge GUI > add > browse to C:\TestFolder\SubtitleOnly.mkv > Open

Global TAB > Split mode: split after duration
    For example the Duration: 00:31:23.315 would be 0 hours 31 minutes 23.315 seconds
    [see how to figure out Duration below].

Set Outputfile name with complete path and extension, for example: C:\TestFolder\SubtitleSplit.mkv
    > Start muxing

3. Restart mkvmerge GUI > add > add .mkv file you want to combine with the newly made SubtitleSplit-001.mkv file, which should also be added >

Set Outputfile name with complete path and extension, for example: C:\TestFolder\FinalOutput.mkv
    > Start muxing

REMEBER TO RESTART mkvmerge GUI for each new operation.

To figure out Duration:
    [Ignore Subtitle Edit prompts to install additional components, just click on Continue.]
    Subtitle Edit > File > Import subtitle form Matroska (.mkv) file... > You can see the Start time and End time information here.

• To edit subtitles using Subtitle Edit:

Subtitle Edit > File > Import subtitle form Matroska (.mkv) file... >
    UNCHECK everything if you don't want to make any changes to the subtitle text >
    Start OCR > Wait for it to finish then > OK >
    [Ignore Subtitle Edit prompts to install additional components, just click on Continue.]
    File > Export > Blu-ray sup... > Export all lines >

Save as .sup file.
    Last edited by c627627; 20th Sep 2014 at 13:54.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Subtitle Edit: File -> Export -> Blu-ray sup ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you.
    I open the file and subtitles are there but when I: File > Export > Blu-ray sup ... and save,

opening the saved file shows no subtitles.

Am I supposed to do anything after opening the subtitle file and before exporting it as a Blu-ray sup in order to see the subtitles when i open the saved .sup file?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's an .mkv file that only contains 560 lines of the subtitle .sup stream.

Can you simply delete lines 425 to 560 and save the edited file please?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Beam me up, Scotty
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, Captain.
    Now teach me how to fish

What's wrong with this and why can it not repliacate what you just did:

1. Subtitle Edit > File > Import subtitle form Matroska (.mkv) file... > Output.mkv
    2. Now simply delete lines you want to edit > OK >
    3. File > Export > Blu-ray sup > Export all lines > ... and save as Test.sup

The Test.sup file when imported does not contain any subtitiles, why?
    How did you wrap the test.sup back into an .mkv file?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Okay two methods:

Here's what I did.
    Open your MKV file in MKVMergeGUI. Select your splitting on the Global Tab. Start Muxing. Rename the MKS file to MKV if needed.

Using Subtitle Edit.
    File -> Import subtitle form Matroska (.mkv) file... (Or drag-drop)
    This opens a window ready for OCR. You can however do some editing here.
    Mark the subtitles above 425. Right-click -> Delete.
    Right click again -> Export -> Blu-ray sup ...
    and select Export all lines in the next window.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Excellent. The first method works, it's more complicated because you have to figure out exact time but the second method does not work for me. It would be easier but:

When everything is done in Subtitle Edit just like you posted, then the output .sup file appears to be empty because when that same .sup file is imported back into Subtitle Edit, it is empty.
    Quote Quote  
  9. You can use BDSup2Sub to see the exact time to cut.

I'm not quite sure what you do in Subtitle Edit. When you reach the final window with Export all lines you should have a window like this. Notice in the previous window after deleting subtitles it should shown 424 subtitles.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Export1.jpg
Views:	2175
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	27582  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could you please use Subtitle Edit to export an edited .sup file then try to load that edited .sup file back into Subtitle Edit.
    Does the edited file show the subtitles for you now that's it's been loaded into a fresh instance of Subtitle Edit?

Also how would you convert that new .sup file into .mkv?
    Last edited by c627627; 20th Sep 2014 at 11:57.
    Quote Quote  
  11. It looks like this. At the top it shows there are 424 subtitles (images)

You use MKVMergeGUI to mux it into a MKV.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Import.jpg
Views:	1711
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	27583  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your help. I'm going to make this simple for testing purposes, without editing:

1. Subtitle Edit > File > Import subtitle form Matroska (.mkv) file... > Output.mkv > OK

2. File > Export > Blu-ray sup > Export all lines > ... and save as Test.sup

PROBLEM: Restart Subtitle Edit and File > Open > Test.sup
    It contains no subtitles. Something must be missing in the 1.-2. procedure above.
    Quote Quote  
  13. > Output.mkv > OK
    There is no such step??

File > Export > Blu-ray sup > Export all lines > ... and save as Test.sup
    This is only possible after you perform an OCR??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Output.mkv is the test file from post #5 in this thread but that's OK, I had to click on Start OCR, I didn't know that, thanks for telling me.

Thank you very much it works.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Good you found a MO that works.

However, if you follow the steps in post #8 no OCR would be preformed. It's actually a powerful feature of Subtitle Edit to be able to do this editing without the need to first use OCR to make textbased subtitles and then convert those back to the imagebased PGS subtitles but solely working with imagebased subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  16. @videobruger

Just one question.

There is no help or clue on how to select different parameters on the "Export > Blu-ray SUP" in Subtitle Edit.
    Pl give link if any help is available.

My subtitles jump on video and bottom of video depending on the window size normal (x1) to full screen.

Thanks.
    Last edited by ConverterCrazy; 14th Nov 2014 at 23:53. Reason: Misspelling of tool name
    Quote Quote  
  17. My subtitles jump on video and bottom of video depending on the window size normal (x1) to full screen
    This shouldn't happen if I understands what's meant. Which player?

"Export > Blu-ray SUP" in Subtitle Edit
    This would imply you're exporting a text based subtitle to image base SUP. The parameters you can choose depends on the subtitle format. If you use .srt you can select all the parameters under "Image settings" in the export window. If on the other hand your format is .ass SE will use the format from your .ass style/tags greying out parameters.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    My subtitles jump on video and bottom of video depending on the window size normal (x1) to full screen
    This shouldn't happen if I understands what's meant. Which player?

"Export > Blu-ray SUP" in Subtitle Edit
    This would imply you're exporting a text based subtitle to image base SUP. The parameters you can choose depends on the subtitle format. If you use .srt you can select all the parameters under "Image settings" in the export window. If on the other hand your format is .ass SE will use the format from your .ass style/tags greying out parameters.
    Yes, that's what I am doing - text based subtitle to image base SUP.

They look better than SRT. But, the Subtile Edit doesn't explain the screen and options in detail and that's what I want to know.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!