VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

Please could someone help. I have a dvd of wedding photos that I want to copy. I've used various programmes to copy the disc but nothing plays each time I put in the copied dvd, it says "unrecognised format". I've used Nero, Burnaway and other programmes.

I don't really want a slideshow, just want to be able to see the photos as they are on the original.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction please.

Thanks from a newbie.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Unless there is an extra folder on the DVD that is NOT a VIDEO_TS or AUDIO_TS folder, the photos are now encoded to video and you cannot retrieve the original images.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Is it a dvd-video(video_ts folder with vob files)?

Can you play it on your computer?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the quick reply. All that is on the DVD are JPEG's, no folders. I can get the dvd to work on a Phillips and Technika but not the Panasonic.
    Quote Quote  
  5. No video_ts folder
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    But the original works on your Panasonic?

Maybe you are burning it wrong...like a multisession dvd or wrong file system(ISO,UDF,ISO/UDF).

I would try Imgburn.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes the original works fine. I've just used the "copy dvd" option.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Which option should I use in Imgburn?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by allycat View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. All that is on the DVD are JPEG's, no folders. I can get the dvd to work on a Phillips and Technika but not the Panasonic.
    It's quite possible that the Panasonic just does not recognize jpeg images, or jpeg images on DVD. The owners manual keeps mentioning JPEG/MPO:
    http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/SC-BTT270?t=specs&support#tabs

MPO The Multi Picture Object (.mpo) format consists of multiple JPEG images (Camera & Imaging Products Association) (CIPA).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_file_formats
    bottom of the page.
    Quote Quote  
  10. It also looks like I need to use DVD-R. I'll try Imgburn and see what happens.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Oh yea. I forgot Panachronic's hard-on for -R.....I thought they would have gotten over that irrationality by now.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Haha, don't think I'm going to be able to do it then as my dvd writer is "+" but thanks for your all help.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by allycat View Post
    Haha, don't think I'm going to be able to do it then as my dvd writer is "+" but thanks for your all help.
    Maybe it's time to just get a new burner. How old is this burner any way? 7 years? 10? Good grief man, "only burns + OR - discs and NOT both" burners are ancient now.

In case you don't know because you haven't priced burners since the last decade, they don't cost $100 (US dollars) any more. You can buy DVD/CD (not BD) burners for about $20 or less now. I don't own Panasonic equipment, but honestly I haven't heard of any players anywhere in the world in a long time that only support -R or +R discs and not both. Your player seems to be made within the last 2 years or so and it really shouldn't refuse to play +R discs at this point, but if Panasonic has truly done something weird and they still don't support +R discs, then there's not much we can do to help.

Note that most consumer burnable DVDs are very poor quality these days and the only consistently high quality ones anymore are Taiyo Yuden (you'll have to buy these online) and Verbatim (avoid their Life series, but everything else is good). Both companies make high quality -R and +R DVDs. Using low quality DVDs can lead to its own set of problems and it may be that your player is really not fussy about +R and -R and supports both but it is fussy about low quality discs.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Problem solved, I used Imgburn on a dvd-r and it worked perfectly well. It is the Panasonic that only plays dvd-r and seeing it isn't my dvd player it isn't my problem. I was doing this for someone else. thanks Hech54 for your help.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!