VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. There is news that Sandisk has released to the marketplace a 512 GB SD Card. It has a hefty price tag, but prices may come down eventually. To think of the capacity and speed and I read somewhere it the size of a postage stamp. Here is a link so that you can read more about it:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2367403/sandisk-hits-the-half-terabyte-milest...e-for-sd-cards
    Quote Quote  
  2. Wow! Now I can lose a whole week's worth of shooting when the card goes bad instead of a single day.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have several 64GB micro SD cards, mostly Sandisk. I'm not sure if my camera would work with a 512GB card. I get about 8 hours from the 64GB cards, more than enough video for a day.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, I agree w/ redwudz - I won't get those kind until the hardware that I'm using (DSLR, etc) explicitly supports it. But what I find exciting about them is less the size and more the fast data rates. When you're dealing with HD or 4k+, and then you start dealing with lossless compression, uncompressed, or even RAW, and if you deal with HFR, HDR or Multi-scopic, you NEED something that can transfer as fast a possible.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I notice quite a few of the cards out there now are the faster Class 10 or UHS 1 cards, even at Walmart.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I still have all my original files on my 128GB SD card in a canon 6D. About a years worth of stuff. I shoot a lot too, at the highest resolutions!
    Lowell Niles
    Creative Director, Sunword Studios
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I read somewhere it the size of a postage stamp.
    Yeah, that is what size an SD card is, if they were not all the same physical size they would not be SD cards......

It would be like saying I read somewhere that a DVD is the same physical size of a Bluray, or that they were 12cm, LOL!!!
    Quote Quote  
  8. This is getting ridiculous. Media so small with capacities so giant that nobody knows what to do with. All attention focused on the capacity and little paid to durability. On a 512GB S card I can store 360 high quality feature length films. I'm a Blu-ray ripper and I haven't uploaded anywhere close to 360 on file sharing sites. The idea of having this much data on one vulnerable tiny card isn't awesome, it's very unnerving. What good is 512GB worth of storage if it will only last a few years before dying? An average quality burned CD or DVD only lasts about 5 years, a USB stick they say around 10 years if you refresh the data once a year. Losing one CD, effectively one movie is nothing. You can get another one. Losing 512GB worth of shit is a catastrophe.

I really wish they would stop pimping storage capacities and start focusing on durability. Stop selling us shit that falls apart shortly after you cumcakes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Even if your sd card doesent die on you, you could still lose it, I've lost 'em.

I have several inet setup drives (in drive bay trays), I keek them small as possible, (I have one brand new 160 gig hdd left in the closet) I have to back up data when it fills up. Sooner than later this way.
    -c-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Mephesto View Post
    This is getting ridiculous. Media so small with capacities so giant that nobody knows what to do with.
    Wrong, there is a lot of use for it.

All attention focused on the capacity and little paid to durability.
    Not really, SD memory is likely to last longer than self written DVD or Blu-ray disks.

What good is 512GB worth of storage if it will only last a few years before dying? An average quality burned CD or DVD only lasts about 5 years, a USB stick they say around 10 years if you refresh the data once a year. Losing one CD, effectively one movie is nothing. You can get another one. Losing 512GB worth of shit is a catastrophe.
    One CD is one movie? Okay.... you must have an impressive VCD collection.

I really wish they would stop pimping storage capacities and start focusing on durability. Stop selling us shit that falls apart shortly after you cumcakes.

Don't worry I suspect the people who bash this now are going to be the same folks religiously sticking to it 20 years from now when this technology is completely outdated, that's is if they finally got to updating their ancient XP PCs.

Quote Quote  
  11. newpball opines a bit snarkily: One CD is one movie? Okay.... you must have an impressive VCD collection.
    One movie on a CD = a VCD? I don't think so, unless you're still stuck in the last century . . . . .
    Quote Quote  
  12. That 512SD card is probably aimed at work tablets and other devices that don't have hard drives or SSD's.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    This is getting ridiculous. Media so small with capacities so giant that nobody knows what to do with.
    Wrong, there is a lot of use for it.
    512GB is an astronomical amount of data that represents thousands of hours of human labor (wealth) if not more. If 512GB is just a day's worth of work, then your work is so inefficient that it may as well not exist. Even video data which was for a long time considered the biggest killer of digital storage is starting to become irrelevant. Hours of 4K video might need a large SD card to fit on but I doubt the I/O speed of the card would keep up with the bitrate of 4K video.

Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Not really, SD memory is likely to last longer than self written DVD or Blu-ray disks.
    SD cards I haven't looked into but they don't look any more durable than flash drives which are said to last 10 years.

One CD is one movie? Okay.... you must have an impressive VCD collection.
    Durrrr 700MB is for Divx derrrrp!! CD-sized H264 rips have phenomenal quality and with H265 out it will be even better.

Don't worry I suspect the people who bash this now are going to be the same folks religiously sticking to it 20 years from now when this technology is completely outdated, that's is if they finally got to updating their ancient XP PCs.

Not what I said, you missed the point entirely. I do want those shiny 512GB SD cards very much, (I personally own a 256GB USB stick). What I don't want is to lose them shortly after buying them. There are many scenarios I can lay out why I might want my media to still work 10 years later but I realize I argue with dullards too much for my own good. And I didn't even address the pathetic state of affairs regarding the transfer speed not scaling up with the storage capacity with virtually every digital media for the past 30 years.
    Look up planned obsolescence and artificial scarcity. That's why you aren't seeing MRAM storage being sold despite it being superior in every measurable way to all the disposable garbage media you see today.

The future is MRAM. Mark my words.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search PM
    CD-sized H264 rips have phenomenal quality
    It looks like your understanding of phenomenal quality is very different from mine.

The future is MRAM. Mark my words.
    I take it you consider yourself an early adopter in matters of technology.

Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    It looks like your understanding of phenomenal quality is very different from mine.
    Why, because you downloaded some badly-encoded garbage by YIFY? Oh wait, he's massively popular and everybody loves his garbage. I guess by that note alone your 'understanding of quality' is in the minority and therefore shouldn't be taken seriously.

I take it you consider yourself an early adopter in matters of technology.

I sure do, I trashed all my 35mm film and immediately adopted shitty VHS back in the 70s when they first came out. E'rebody thought I was so damn cool and trendy. Now GTFO.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!