VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi cats,

I use virtualdub to downconvert a .mxf video file from 1440x1080 4:2:0 to an avi of 720x576 4:2:2

Click image for larger version

Name:	VD4.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	452.9 KB
ID:	27447

al is ok but I see chroma ghost in the output avi file.

Using virtualdub, the line

ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true)

avoid the chroma ghost.

But I don't know if is there a way to avoid the problem using virtualdub. Ca you help me cat?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try forcing the decompression format to YUY2. Video -> Color Depth. That might convince the decoder to output YUY2 to VirtualDub, which the program will handle correctly (unlike interlaced YV12).
    Quote Quote  
  3. yes, I have try but don't resolve
    Quote Quote  
  4. Then force whatever decoder you're using to output YUY2 only (ffedhow?).

By the way, you should enable "show image formats" in the filter dialog so you can see what colorspace each filter is using.
    Quote Quote  
  5. in virtualdub I use the ffmpeg plugin 0.8.1.4 to open the .mxf 4:2:0 files (this is not my main camera [pdwf800], is the pdwf335 4:2:0 xdcam version)

Name:	vd7.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	27482
    Quote Quote  
  6. however using FFDshow I don't see chroma ghost
    Quote Quote  
  7. If the decoder is producing YUY2 output that should work. So it's likely the ffmpeg source plugin isn't putting out YUY2. VirtualDub always converts YV12 to YUY2 or RGB as if the chroma channels are progressive. With interlaced YV12 that causes the chroma of the two fields to blend together. The author has been aware of the problem for many years but insists that interlaced YV12 should not have the same fourcc as progressive YV12 so he refuses to fix it.

I don't have the ffmpeg source plugin installed. Did you try using the "Ask for extended options..." in the Open Video File dialog? That might give you control over the plugin's output. And make sure the plugin is being used by forcing it in the Files Of Type pulldown.
    Quote Quote  
  8. It looks like the ffmpeg source plugin has the option to output YUV 4:4:4. That will work. Or the RGB options.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have try also use YUV444 or RGB but I see alwais chroma ghost only when I use the ffmpeg plugin for virutaldub. I try also save in uncompressed without any filters, and resize the video with Mainconcept totalcode but the chroma ghost remains. Seems that the problem is the ffmpeg plugin for virtualdub. In fact when I use the ffdshow as source for virtualdub chroma ghost disappear
    Quote Quote  
  10. load avisynth into vd, use good old dgindex:
    Code:
    SET ffmpeg=" .... \ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe"
    SET virtualdub=" ....  \VirtualDub\vdub.exe"
    SET vcf=" ....   \your_custom.vcf"
    SET dgindex=" ... \DGIndex.exe"
    SET DGDecode.dll=" ... \DGDecode.dll"
    SET temp_folder=D:\temp
    if not exist %temp_folder% MD %temp_folder%
    %ffmpeg% -i %1 -vcodec copy -an -sn "%temp_folder%\video.m2v"
    %dgindex% -IF=[%temp_folder%\video.m2v] -OF=[%temp_folder%\video] -OM=0 -IA=5 -MINIMIZE -EXIT
    echo LoadPlugin(%DGDecode.dll%)               > "%temp_folder%\video.avs"
    echo MPEG2Source("%temp_folder%\video.d2v")  >> "%temp_folder%\video.avs"
    echo ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true)          >> "%temp_folder%\video.avs"
    %virtualdub%  /s %vcf% /p "%temp_folder%\video.avs",out.avi /r
    Last edited by _Al_; 16th Sep 2014 at 11:28.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by marcorocchini View Post
    I have try also use YUV444 or RGB but I see alwais chroma ghost only when I use the ffmpeg plugin for virutaldub.
    Well, I installed the filter just for you. I had no problems with any of the files I tried.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by marcorocchini View Post
    I have try also use YUV444 or RGB but I see alwais chroma ghost only when I use the ffmpeg plugin for virutaldub.
    Well, I installed the filter just for you. I had no problems with any of the files I tried.
    mm and what is this filter just for me?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by marcorocchini View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by marcorocchini View Post
    mm and what is this filter just for me?
    The ffmpeg source plugin for VirtualDub.

I tried it with several interlaced sources including MPEG2, AVC, MJPEG, in AVI, MP4 and MKV. So, if you're getting chroma blending there must be a problem handling your specific source video. Or in your specific handling in VirtualDub.

But now I remember why I stopped using it: you lose detailed error messages when it opens AviSynth scripts. Instead of a descriptive error like "There is no function named 'blah'... filename.avs, line 16", you just get a generic error like "failed to open filename.avs". About the only thing I use VirtualDub for is to preview AVS scripts.
    Last edited by jagabo; 17th Sep 2014 at 12:03.
    Quote Quote  
  14. but your source is 4:2:2 or 4:2:0?
    Quote Quote  
  15. I used it with both 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 sources. And a few RGB sources.
    Quote Quote  
  16. solution found:

Name:	CJPSDR.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	27547
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!