VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi VideoHelp ...........

I am new to this site and this is my first thread here ....

My questions are
    #1.What is Deblock ?
    #2. Where to enter 3 digits value ? [I saw 3 digits value in MediaInfo details on torrents' sites ] I couldn't find a perfect place to enter that 3 digit value ............If there's any code , please tell the code with the place to put that (in script tab under MeGUI >> AVS script creator OR in main .avs file)

Note : I am using x264 codec and MeGUI software

Thank you !!
    I hope I get perfect answer to my question !!
    Last edited by PrinceSwaraj; 14th Sep 2014 at 09:50.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    A "deblocker" is in general a video filter which tries to decrease square shaped compression artefacts, based on the partition of video into (macro-) blocks as video encoding units. If there was not enough bitrate available to store enough data about the distribution of the content across each block, the content of each block is reconstructed with too much difference to the original image, and the transitions between adjacent blocks aren't smooth anymore. A deblocking filter tries to recreate smooth transitions between adjacent blocks.

I don't know any deblocking software which requires any 3-letter code. If there are illegal software pirating sites with captchas before downloads ... then you are wrong here, asking for support.

Most AviSynth plugins and MeGUI are freeware. There is no need for torrents. You may enter a numerical parameter for the Deblock() function in an AviSynth script, though. This represents an assumed quantization factor (the bigger number, the stronger the deblocking effect). It is documented on Fizick's AviSynth page for Deblock (original plugin by Manao).
    Quote Quote  
  3. There are a bunch of deblocking filters available in AviSynth, meaning also available in MeGUI. Here's a list of most of them:

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/External_filters#Deblocking

I prefer Deblock_QED.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    A "deblocker" is in general a video filter which tries to decrease square shaped compression artefacts, based on the partition of video into (macro-) blocks as video encoding units. If there was not enough bitrate available to store enough data about the distribution of the content across each block, the content of each block is reconstructed with too much difference to the original image, and the transitions between adjacent blocks aren't smooth anymore. A deblocking filter tries to recreate smooth transitions between adjacent blocks.

I don't know any deblocking software which requires any 3-letter code. If there are illegal software pirating sites with captchas before downloads ... then you are wrong here, asking for support.

Most AviSynth plugins and MeGUI are freeware. There is no need for torrents. You may enter a numerical parameter for the Deblock() function in an AviSynth script, though. This represents an assumed quantization factor (the bigger number, the stronger the deblocking effect). It is documented on Fizick's AviSynth page for Deblock (original plugin by Manao).
    Oh ...... ok
    Got it
    but what d'you think , what value should I add in () ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Blocks from over compression (4x nearest neighbor resize):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	block.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	27462

Deblocked (4x nearest neighbor resize):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	deblock.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	27463

Originally Posted by PrinceSwaraj View Post
    what value should I add in () ?
    It depends on your source, how much you compress, and what you want to see.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by PrinceSwaraj View Post
    Hi VideoHelp ...........

I am new to this site and this is my first thread here ....

My questions are
    #1.What is Deblock ?
    #2. Where to enter 3 digits value ? [I saw 3 digits value in MediaInfo details on torrents' sites ] I couldn't find a perfect place to enter that 3 digit value ............If there's any code , please tell the code with the place to put that (in script tab under MeGUI >> AVS script creator OR in main .avs file)

Note : I am using x264 codec and MeGUI software
    PrinceSwaraj,
    Please read my post in your other thread here.
    In order to see settings such as deblock in MeGUI's encoder configuration, you need to first check the "show advanced settings" option, but my advice is not to play with them. Looking is good, it's a way to learn. Touching is bad unless you know what you're doing. Use the x264 tuning and speed preset options instead. They automatically change some of the advanced x264 settings.

You'll see lots of different x264 settings when you view x264 encoded video with MediaInfo, but don't assume those settings are necessarily good ones. x264 has changed over the years too. Settings (such as ones for deblock) which were commonly used in the early days aren't necessarily better now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    x264 has a deblock settings that can be adjusted for different sources to achieve a balance of compression and visual quality. Unless you specify a tune profile or use manual settings, 0 is default for vertical and horizontal. Remember 0 is always a good safe choice. It looks like this in media info "deblock=1:0:0." The 1 means deblocking is on and 0:0 is vertical and horizontal

The x264 tune film profile uses -1 (slightly weaker) and the x264 tune animation profile uses +1 (slightly stronger).

Do not confuse this setting with an external deblock filter (like those for avisynth). Note, this will not show up in mediainfo. This kind of deblock is used to filter video before it is encoded.

For example, lets say you download a 720p video that was encoded with 2 pass at 1000 bit rate. This would result in a small file, but complex action scenes need a higher bitrate. So, if you look at individual frames during this type of scene you will probably be able to see obvious blocking artifacts.

Another reason one might need to use a deblock filter would be, the video was encoded with a deprecated video encoder (like x264 v60 or wmv 8).
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!