VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just got a Bluray "Space Warriors" from local Walmart. Oddly it did have closed captioning (first BD I got with CC) but it didn't work at all in my BD player (while playing DVD with CC is fine) I tried HDMI and Component 1080 and 480 (BD is not hooked for other, lower quality video) There is no menu option and pressing subtitle button did nothing. When I tested with regular DVD, I am able to get CC stream fine at 480 setting. Since DVD worked fine, I suspected the BD player is unable to process CC off a BD video or something.

When I played it in my laptop WinDVD indicated closed captioning track, no subtitle but I couldn't play it either. The caption comes in very broken and choppy. The start of the video went something like:

Space. For some, i

Then a long pause with no change, around 20 seconds. Then I get:

ad was paved f

Another long pause then

llo 11 took us

As you can see, I can't follow caption like this. It's skipping a lot of dialoug, only showing parts and never whole lines, and aggravating. I am deaf and I wanted to watch this but I can't because for some reason it doesn't work on 2 different players.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think you are right about your player not supporting closed captions for Blu-Ray. The Blu-Ray spec doesn't include closed captions, only subtitles.

VLC might play the closed captions on a ripped copy of your Blu-Ray disc if they are in EIA-608 format. There is limited, experimental support for encrypted Blu-Ray playback using VLC . See https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/343705-VLC-Blu-ray-plugin-Watch-encrypted-Blu-rays-...tly-in-VLC-2-0 and http://www.videolan.org/developers/libbluray.html
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!