VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Windows 8
    I tried searching here for an answer with no success.
    I'm trying to convert VOB to MP4. I've tried Leawo Video Converter, Handbrake, and DivX converter. All fail so, using uncomplicated logic, I suspect I'm doing something wrong. I'm just not techy enough to figure it out.
    All 3 apps appear to convert successfully. None give an error message. The problem is, regardless which app I use, the MP4s won't play. Well, to be technically correct, they won't play correctly. The MP4 opens and begins. Throughout the video (as much as I can stand), the audio/video seems "jerky." I see blurred video for 2-3 seconds. Clear images for 1-2 seconds. Blurred images. Repeat. But the "jerkiness" is present whether the video is clear or blurred.
    Any help identifying my erro would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you opening separate vob files? Don't. Open/Import the video_ts folder in the converter.

And I would try rip with a separate dvd ripper like dvdfab decrypter or TDMore Free DVD Copy and rip the dvd to your hdd, then open the video_ts folder in vidcoder or handbrake. Output a mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome, but you made a really big mistake with your subject title, which may result in you getting useless suggestions. Technically the word "rip" really ONLY means to copy and decrypt (if necessary) the contents of a CD, DVD or BluRay disc and get them on your PC. That's it. Your problem is a CONVERSION problem, NOT a ripping problem. Yes, we know that stupid DVDFab and other software makers who should know better use "rip" to mean "rip and convert" or just "convert" but around here, if you don't say it right, you'll not get the help you need. Don't be surprised if you get some responses telling you how to rip your video from DVD that say nothing about converting it.

We had a somewhat similar post to yours today and offhand I'd guess that you're probably resizing interlaced video, possibly from DVD, and that's leading to the jerkiness. Handbrake is OK, but really it's meant to be easy to use and it's surprisingly easy to use it and end up with bad quality output. It's also quite possible to use it and get good quality output, but the default settings may be less than ideal and it's quite possible that you'll have to change some settings. As suggested in that other thread, you might try using the Decomb and Detelecine settings and see if you get better output that way in Handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Handbrake is OK, but really it's meant to be easy to use and it's surprisingly easy to use it and end up with bad quality output.
    My apologies to the OP, but I just have to ask jman98, if it's only OK, what do you consider to be best?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the replies. These apps have an open called "Open File" so, not surprisingly, I opened A file. My bad.
    By selecting "Folder, I managed to have success with Handbrake and Leawo . . . kinda. I end up with one file that I includes the warning screen perfectly for 6 seconds. Nothing else.
    DivX seems to have no 'open folder' option.
    This is certainly not as easy as the respective web pages make it seem. I have set Decomb and Detelecine from 'off' to 'default.' No help. I've changed codec to MPeg-4. No help. Suggestions welcome, or, if easier, direct me to a relevant web page.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Did you make a "rip" as described by jman98?

At the top of the HandBrake screen (under Source) you can select the Title to convert. What have you chosen and which duration is shown at the right?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hb.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	27370  

Quote Quote  
  7. First, the bad news. It seemed easier to change Decomb and Detelecine settings in Handbrake so that's what I tried first. Didn't work.
    Now the good news. Downloaded TDMore, installed, rebooted. Ripped? the disc and converted using Handbrake. Worked perfectly.
    Thanks to all.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by required_username View Post
    First, the bad news. It seemed easier to change Decomb and Detelecine settings in Handbrake so that's what I tried first. Didn't work.
    Now the good news. Downloaded TDMore, installed, rebooted. Ripped? the disc and converted using Handbrake. Worked perfectly.
    Thanks to all.
    So glad to see you got your problems solved.
    Real media really matters. Just get BD DVD discs and say NO to online stream media.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Rip what you want converted, then:

Rename your vob file to mpg, "*.vob -> *.mpg", use (free) 'any video converter' mpg to mp4, works for me.
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Handbrake is OK, but really it's meant to be easy to use and it's surprisingly easy to use it and end up with bad quality output.
    My apologies to the OP, but I just have to ask jman98, if it's only OK, what do you consider to be best?
    Write an AviSynth script and feed it into the encoder of your choice, such as H.264 (perhaps under MeGUI).
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!