VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had another thread about something like this and usually_quiet was nice enough to answer a lot of my questions and convinced me into buying a PVR 2. I bought one off ebay for 95$ and it's on the way to my house. I have been looking up a lot of videos on Youtube and something has caught my eye that i'm worried about.

Does the HD-PVR 2 1512 not support 5.1 AC3 recording? I've seen a lot of Youtube videos on the Hauppauge Capture software and noticed that there is only a AAC option. Does this mean that there is no way to Capture 5.1 AC3 audio with the 1512 from a set top cable box?

I was also wondering if anyone knows of any free software that will allow me to cut 1080i .ts files with out re-encoding? Will avidemux do the job? I can't afford to buy VideoReDo, but there doesn't seem like there are many options for cutting TV caps.

I think Hauppauge Capture forces you to save as a .mp4 after cutting and editing files and not sure if they allow you edit with out re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You need the "plus" version to capture 5.1 AC3. The older version downmixes to stereo and encodes as AAC.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kkiller23 View Post
    I had another thread about something like this and usually_quiet was nice enough to answer a lot of my questions and convinced me into buying a PVR 2. I bought one off ebay for 95$ and it's on the way to my house. I have been looking up a lot of videos on Youtube and something has caught my eye that i'm worried about.

Does the HD-PVR 2 1512 not support 5.1 AC3 recording? I've seen a lot of Youtube videos on the Hauppauge Capture software and noticed that there is only a AAC option. Does this mean that there is no way to Capture 5.1 AC3 audio with the 1512 from a set top cable box?

I was also wondering if anyone knows of any free software that will allow me to cut 1080i .ts files with out re-encoding? Will avidemux do the job? I can't afford to buy VideoReDo, but there doesn't seem like there are many options for cutting TV caps.

I think Hauppauge Capture forces you to save as a .mp4 after cutting and editing files and not sure if they allow you edit with out re-encoding.
    If you bought the Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 1512, I would be very surprised if it did not include the ability to record AC3 audio. There is only one HD-PVR 2 which is not a Gaming Edition model listed on Hauppauge's website. As far as I can tell, the Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 1512 always had the ability to record AC3 audio.

There are two HD-PVR 2 Gaming Edition models listed on Hauppauge's website.The older Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 Gaming Edition 1480 did not have the ability to capture AC3 audio. The ability to use AC3 recording was added to the Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus 1504.

Note that the HD-PVR 2 doesn't have the ability to encode Dolby Digital/AC3. It can only capture AC3 audio when it receives it via HDMI or optical S/PDIF. This means that your set-top box must be set up to output 5.1 channel AC3 over HDMI to record 5.1 channel AC3 audio from HDMI. If your set-top box is set up to output LPCM over HDMI, the HD-PVR 2 can only record two channel AAC audio. Optical S/PDIF is normally used to record AC3 audio when using component video as input.

I do not use the software that you are asking about so I can't answer your other questions.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 10th Sep 2014 at 12:25. Reason: removed repeated word
    Quote Quote  
  4. unsually_quite is right. It's not mentioned in the spec page for the PVR 2 but in the FAQ it mentions that 5.1 audio is supported via the SPDIF and HDMI inputs (they must be putting out 5.1).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

If you bought the Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 1512, I would be very surprised if it did not include the ability to record AC3 audio. There is only one HD-PVR 2 which is not a Gaming Edition model listed on Hauppauge's website. As far as I can tell, the Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 1512 always had the ability to record AC3 audio.

There are two HD-PVR 2 Gaming Edition models are listed on Hauppauge's website.The older Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 Gaming Edition 1480 did not have the ability to capture AC3 audio. The ability to use AC3 recording was added to the Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus 1504.

Note that the HD-PVR 2 doesn't have the ability to encode Dolby Digital/AC3. It can only capture AC3 audio when it receives it via HDMI or optical S/PDIF. This means that your set-top box must be set up to output 5.1 channel AC3 over HDMI to record 5.1 channel AC3 audio from HDMI. If your set-top box is set up to output LPCM over HDMI, the HD-PVR 2 can only record two channel AAC audio. Optical S/PDIF is normally used to record AC3 audio when using component video as input.

I do not use the software that you are asking about so I can't answer your other questions.
    HD-PVR 2 (1512) and HD-PVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus (1504) are very hardware specifications the only differences is the light and what come package is difference from each other see below.
    HD-PVR 2 come with Blue Light
    WinTV 7
    IR blaster cable
    Standard Component Video Cable

HD-PVR 2 GE Plus come with Green Light
    License Serial Key for HDPVRCapture to runs on Mac OS
    PS3 Component AV Cable

Both can capture AC3 recording from HDMI and by Optical Audio aka Toslink/SPDIF (I have both model)
    Both can use OEM Hauppauge ver of Arcsoft Showbiz 3.5, Hauppauge Capture Application, StreamEez (Stand along ver) and WinTV with Extend support as well as min 3rdparty software.
    Both can use the very some Hardware Accessories

You be disappointed as it is a real pain neck to get to it working right over HDMI so it best to stick with Optical Audio aka Toslink/SPDIF how ever it can be done over HDMI.
    The real problem is the video source still is able to see that 2CH TV.
    In most case you can validate this by disconnecting from LCD TV from the output of the HD-PVR and reboot both device if everything is setup right then you should be able get 5.1 sound going to the HD-PVR 2 but it doesn't always work.
    There are few way to solve the problem is with HDMI Audio Extractor which has an Audio EDID Modes: PASS / 2.0CH / 5.1CH or if you got the right TV which has Digital Audio Output common know as Optical Audio aka Toslink/SPDIF.
    I have to do more testing on two when I get more time for it.
    Last edited by SHS; 10th Sep 2014 at 13:16.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't plan on using HDMI for a while. I need to save up some money to buy the splitter. I just spent all my money buying the HD-PVR 2 and a bunch of coax cable to set up a Set top in my room to record.

I plan on using component since my TV box only supports 1080i anyway and don't really plan on recording anything in 1080p.

So i shouldn't have any problem doing 5.1 AC3 with component then?

I've looked up the difference between HDMI and component and couldn't really see any real difference, maybe there will be one when recording?

Can you actually see a difference between Component and HDMI when recording in 1080i?

I just want to make sure that i will be able to record 5.1 ac3 with component using stuff that comes with the PVR 2 or if i need to buy another cable or something. This is my first time messing with recording HDTV so kind of lost.
    Last edited by kkiller23; 10th Sep 2014 at 13:34.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't plan on using HDMI for a while. I need to save up some money to buy the splitter. I just spent all my money buying the HD-PVR 2 and a bunch of coax cable to set up a Set top in my room to record.

I plan on using component since my TV box only supports 1080i anyway and don't really plan on recording anything in 1080p.

I've looked up the difference between HDMI and component and couldn't really see any real difference, maybe there will be one when recording?

Can you actually see a difference between Component and HDMI when recording in 1080i?

I just want to make sure that i will be able to record 5.1 ac3 with component using stuff that comes with the PVR 2 or if i need to buy another cable or something. This is my first time messing with recording HDTV so kind of lost.
    You need to buy an optical S/PDIF cable to record 5.1 AC3 audio and component video. They start at $5 (or a bit less) and go up from there.

You may or may not be able to see a difference between component and HDMI when recording in 1080i. Set top boxes sometimes do a better job with digital-to-digital conversion for HDMI than they do with digital-to-analog conversion for component video. In my case, I thought recordings (made with the Hauppauge Colossus) using HDMI as the source were a little better.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM

You need to buy an optical S/PDIF cable to record 5.1 AC3 audio and component video. They start at $5 (or a bit less) and go up from there.

You may or may not be able to see a difference between component and HDMI when recording in 1080i. Set top boxes sometimes do a better job with digital-to-digital conversion for HDMI than they do with digital-to-analog conversion for component video. In my case, I thought recordings (made with the Hauppauge Colossus) using HDMI as the source were a little better.
    Damn, if i knew that i wouldn't have spent my last 5$ paying off some of my Ebay fees.

So HDMI doesn't need the optical cable, only component? So if i ever do get a splitter the optical cable will be useless?
    I guess 2.0 aac will do till i make up my mind. If the video looks good enough to my eyes. I'll just buy the optical cable and hold off on the splitter till i can actually afford to throw away another 25$

How much is a "little" better? Is is something that you had to stare at for like 5 mins to notice or could you notice the difference right away just from playing it?

It seems kind of weird that the HD-PVR 2 doesn't come with a optical cable. Since it comes with a port for one, it comes with a cable for every other port on it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Damn, if i knew that i wouldn't have spent my last 5$ paying off some of my Ebay fees.

So HDMI doesn't need the optical cable, only component? So if i ever do get a splitter the optical cable will be useless?
    I guess 2.0 aac will do till i make up my mind. If the video looks good enough to my eyes. I'll just buy the optical cable and hold off on the splitter till i can actually afford to throw away another 25$

How much is a "little" better? Is is something that you had to stare at for like 5 mins to notice or could you notice the difference right away just from playing it?

It seems kind of weird that the HD-PVR 2 doesn't come with a optical cable. Since it comes with a port for one, it comes with a cable for every other port on it.
    You can use optical cable with HDMI that is the best way vs HDMI Audio in getting AC3 5.1 and it will still work with a HDMI splitter.
    For now I would just get the HDMI splitter if want get a round HDCP problem then worry about optical cable later date
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM

Recording AC3 via HDMI using the Colossus worked better for me. I don't really know why, but for some reason I had more trouble using S/PDIF with both HDMI and component. However I have the Colossus, which is different hardware, so it is possible the opposite will be true for the HD-PVR 2, and you will be better off using S/PDIF for HDMI as well as component.

AAC might work better than AC3 capture anyway. You could have enough transmission losses in the AC3 audio to make audio and video loose synchronization in your edited files, especially using something other than VideoReDo as your editor.

[Edit]I can't really tell you if component video capture will be good enough. STBs can be different. Human perception can be different too. Two individuals can look at the same video and one will think it is perfectly fine, while the other will see terrible defects.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 10th Sep 2014 at 15:20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Recording AC3 via HDMI using the Colossus worked better for me. I don't really know why, but for some reason I had more trouble using S/PDIF with both HDMI and component. However I have the Colossus, which is different hardware, so it is possible the opposite will be true for the HD-PVR 2, and you will be better off using S/PDIF for HDMI as well as component.
    That Easy there no Output so there for Colossus can sent back EDID Modes for 5.1CH
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM

AAC might work better than AC3 capture anyway. You could have enough transmission losses in the AC3 audio to make audio and video loose synchronization in your edited files, especially using something other than VideoReDo as your editor.

[Edit]I can't really tell you if component video capture will be good enough. STBs can be different. Human perception can be different too. Two individuals can look at the same video and one will think it is perfectly fine, while the other will see terrible defects.

I guess i will just have to wait for my HD-PVR 2 to show up in the mail. I really want to capture ac3, so hopefully the signal will be strong enough that it doesn't mess up the sync.

I guess time will tell, thanks for the help and information.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    That Easy there no Output so there for Colossus can sent back EDID Modes for 5.1CH
    Since the problems I'm having are with optical S/PDIF + component as well as optical S/PDIF + HDMI, that is not a satisfactory explanation. ...and since HDMI for audio and video works OK, I don't really care anyway.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 10th Sep 2014 at 17:00.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!