VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am wanting to rip my copies of tv series i brought from shout factory and i ve run into bit of an issue I normally copy full disc with dvdfab and run handbrake to convert them into mkv/mp4 files but when i play them on my pc the video is rather choppy but when i play them on my WD TV Live player they play just fine.

first i thought it maybe a fps issues but VLC saids the disc runs at 30fps and i select same as source for fps normally anyway. secondly i try to play them vlc and powerdvd 14 and its the same

before i commit to ripping the entire series for my wd tv player i want to solve this issue so it can work on any device. I live in Australia so my monitor and tv is PAL but on pc should be an issue?

if anyone can help me crack this issue that be great thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pcwizard7 View Post
    I am wanting to rip my copies of tv series i brought from shout factory and i ve run into bit of an issue I normally copy full disc with dvdfab and run handbrake to convert them into mkv/mp4 files but when i play them on my pc the video is rather choppy but when i play them on my WD TV Live player they play just fine.

first i thought it maybe a fps issues but VLC saids the disc runs at 30fps and i select same as source for fps normally anyway. secondly i try to play them vlc and powerdvd 14 and its the same

before i commit to ripping the entire series for my wd tv player i want to solve this issue so it can work on any device. I live in Australia so my monitor and tv is PAL but on pc should be an issue?

if anyone can help me crack this issue that be great thanks
    It's not an NTSC issue.
    Computers don't care about NTSC/PAL.
    Australian TVs can easily play NTSC material. Only a region code can trip up Australian DVD players.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You're going to have to actually give some details about your Handbrake settings if you really want help here. And do a better job of explaining what exactly is going on when you play on a PC than saying "choppy". Perhaps your PC is underpowered so some details there might also be of use.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Very few NTSC DVDs contain native 30 fps video. They are mostly film based, 24 fps. Creating 30 fps video from them will result in six little jerks every second (when played at 60 fps) as every 5th frame is a duplicate. When played at 25 or 50 fps you'll get a mix of duplicate and/or dropped frames making them even jerkier.
    Last edited by jagabo; 9th Sep 2014 at 08:11.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    You're going to have to actually give some details about your Handbrake settings if you really want help here. And do a better job of explaining what exactly is going on when you play on a PC than saying "choppy". Perhaps your PC is underpowered so some details there might also be of use.
    Here are my handbrake settings i will go though them by tab

Picture:
    Anamorphic Strict

Filters: None

Video:
    Video codec: H.264 (x264)
    Framerate: Same as source
    Constant Frame rate
    Constant Quality: 28
    x264 Preset: Slow
    x264 Tune: Film
    H.264 Profile: High
    H.264 Level: 4.1

Audio: AC3 Passthough

Subtitle: CC

Here is a screenshot of what i mean when i say choppy. its like static lines going though the image which is more visible when there's alot of movement in the video

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.png
Views:	222
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	27343
    Quote Quote  
  6. Those are comb artifacts and improper resizing of interlaced frames. Start by trying the decomb and detelecine options.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Those are comb artifacts and improper resizing of interlaced frames. Start by trying the decomb and detelecine options.
    I set decomb and detelecine to default and it seems to have worked its much better, what settings would you recommend i try to keep quality and to correct this error?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen2.png
Views:	330
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	27345

cause i m unsure what the settings above do thanaks
    Quote Quote  
  8. I found deinterlace by itself also fixes the issue so what be best way to go about this without losing picture quality
    thanks

EDIT. nvm decomb is the same just without the loss of quaility
    Last edited by pcwizard7; 9th Sep 2014 at 20:31. Reason: found answer
    Quote Quote  
  9. I understand there are different modes to decomb what would be best for this issue?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you really need to shrink your DVD's in size? If not why not just use MakeMKV . If storage is a problem I prefer VidCoder over Handbrake. Half of my collection is ex USA or Europe and the difference in standards has never given me any problems on my PC's, MAC's or Popcorn media player and recently the new Beyonwiz T3 (Enigma clone). What sort of videocard do you have in the PC? How much memory, OS etc?
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by pcwizard7 View Post
    I understand there are different modes to decomb what would be best for this issue?
    There are many different methods of deinterlacing, none of them perfect. Which is best can depend on your source.

I don't really use Handbrake but their online guide gives some information:

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/PictureSettings#filters
    https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/DeinterlacingGuide

If you're using a recent nightly build you have the option of using bob and doubling the frame rate. That gives the smoothest result with true interlaced material. I think bob uses the Yadif deinterlacing method.

Detelecine and decimation to 23.976 fps more appropriate for NTSC film based sources. Though the few times I've tried it in Handbrake it didn't work well.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If you're using a recent nightly build you have the option of using bob and doubling the frame rate. That gives the smoothest result with true interlaced material. I think bob uses the Yadif deinterlacing method.

Detelecine and decimation to 23.976 fps more appropriate for NTSC film based sources. Though the few times I've tried it in Handbrake it didn't work well.
    I've given vidcoder a try and it seems to be a much better user interface so I've given it a go. As I understand it decomb seems to be a smarter version of the decimation

And the program seems to think that the source is a 30 fps and this is power rangers legacy collection and it saids its ntsc 4:3 footage region 1, is it possible its a false positive 30 fps and its really 23.97 fps?

I ve set detelecine as default and decomb as blob would are your thoughts ?

Thanks
    Last edited by pcwizard7; 11th Sep 2014 at 10:07.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!