VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I authored a DVD using Photostory 2014 deluxe and thought I had a good DVD. It looked and sounded great on my surround sound system, which uses a Samsung Bluray player. But I gave the same disc to a friend (unknown Bluray player), and she gets no sound even though the video is great!

My system has an Asus BW-12B1ST burner, and I used a DVD+R.
    Petz
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would check what kind of audio photostory makes. Like ac3,wav or mp2. Use mediainfo or mediainfoxp and open some of the vob files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hard to tell since Photostory's site doesn't show their manual. But my guess would be it encoded the audio as MP2, which is somewhat common among cheaper apps but is not strictly NTSC DVD compliant. What you've experienced would be exactly that kind of scenario if mp2 were used.

You could always run your DVD's VOB(s) through MediaInfo and post the text here. Then, we'd be on much firmer guessing ground.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Could also be that your friends system isn't set up right to receive that type of audio.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MAGIX suggested that I use default DVD settings, so I did that and burned another SD DVD. It plays even on a cheap Philips portable DVD player for kids. There are all kinds of encoding settings in the "Burn" menu of Photostory. If MPEG2 is not totally compatible, what should be used instead? For Blu-ray, I can use either MP2 or H.264. I selected MP2 because I don't need a lot of compression, the entire DVD has one 40 minute movie and one 17 minute movie. Well, anyway, it was encoding all night long and this morning I looked at the computer and it said "Burn Process Complete." I checked the BluRay disc and it is still blank! I'm in the process of reburning using H.264, and this time I'm going to watch the encoding process complete and see if the BDRW drive ever starts burning. It will be another hour before it's done encoding the first movie, so I have some time until completion.
    Petz
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    You could always run your DVD's VOB(s) through MediaInfo and post the text here. Then, we'd be on much firmer guessing ground.
    Based on the follow up, I think the likelihood of this happening is pretty close to zero.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Mpeg2 DOES NOT mean mp2, nor the reverse. Mpeg2 in those contexts refers to the video encoding choice. For DVD video, it is for all intents and purposes the ONLY choice.
    Mp2 refers to Mpeg1Layer2 audio (just as mp3 refers to mpeg1layer3 audio). Mp2 is one of the choices available for DVD, the others being AC3, LPCM, and DTS. In NTSC-land, only ac3 and lpcm are valid as the MAIN choice.
    Mp2 is not even a valid option at all in Blu-ray authoring.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen DVDs that would not play audio if there was not an AUDIO_TS folder. Not sure why since there are no audio files in the AUDIO_TS folder. AUDIO_TS is part of the DVD structure and some players will not play the audio if the DVD is missing the AUDIO_TS folder.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!