VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. i'm interested in portable capture device. It seems the only ones on market is avermedia live gamer and HD-PVR Rocket.

Anyone use these two? Out of the two which one is consider better?

---------------

HD-PVR Rocket:

1. I know you can attach an external harddrive to the device. Question is what one works. My friend tried a portable harddrive from seagate it did not work on his. Any know the exact harddrive that will work with the device?

2. How's the quality compared to desktop version?

---------

Avermedia Live gamer portable

1. since storage device uses Fat32 your limit when it comes to space on a single file. Does this cause issues like missed frames going from file 1 to file 2?

2. How's the quality? Never owned a Avermedia device.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Revan654 View Post

1. since storage device uses Fat32 your limit when it comes to space on a single file. Does this cause issues like missed frames going from file 1 to file 2?

2. How's the quality? Never owned a Avermedia device.
    1. Yes. Though I've never tested that myself, I've always just assumed it would and indeed others have reported that it does.

2. Excellent. I have it set on 720p60 at the max 16Mbps, and very satisfied with the PQ and performance.
    But! You must record native HDMI, because the component workaround that Avermedia supply is awful (blurred picture, incorrect levels, and blackouts). So if HDCP is an issue, use this ViewHD splitter to enable HDMI recording: http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Port-Powered-Splitter-1080P/dp/B004F9LVXC
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I passed onto the HD unit (supports ntfs) as both require a power source so neither is actually what some would call "portable" ... other than it fits in your pocket along with lint.

portable harddrive
    Only suitable for those with their own power source ... thou the HD includes internal port for 2.5" hd's

It may be an issue with the controller interface of the external closure ... Ive seen the same thing happen on security systems doing backups.

Try another enclosure from a different manufacturer.

-----

The issue with fat32 is most common with people not using quality cards and using any old brand floating about going cheap ... avoid scandisk with this device.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The HD PVR Rocket is designed to be used with thumb drives, not external USB hard drives, so it may be unable to provide enough power to use something other than a USB stick if the device draws its power from the USB port. If someone wants to experiment with connecting a USB hard drive, a drive with its own power supply (not USB powered) would be more likely to work, but there is no guarantee that it would. Drive size could also be an issue. I don't know what the upper limit on partition size is for the HD PVR Rocket, but thumb drives are low capacity storage devices compared to most of today's hard drives.

[Edit]The product specs for the HD PVR Rocket say the USB stick's capacity can be between 1GB and 32GB, and if that is accurate, it may be impossible to use the device with a modern external hard drive.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st Aug 2014 at 11:33. Reason: clarification
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    The issue with fat32 is most common with people not using quality cards and using any old brand floating about going cheap ... avoid scandisk with this device.
    Even with good quality card. It still seems like their would a few missing frames going to next created video file. Unless this is no longer an issue with a recent update, I haven't checked to see if theirs been any fixes/tweaks to the device(avermedia).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Revan654 View Post
    HD-PVR Rocket:
    1. I know you can attach an external harddrive to the device. Question is what one works. My friend tried a portable harddrive from seagate it did not work on his. Any know the exact harddrive that will work with the device?
    It must have it own Power Supply Adapter for that Harddrive so those Ultra Compact one's will not work as they pull power from USB bus which HD-PVR Rocket can't pass enough power to feed them so it just enough for USB Memory Sticks to work
    Del any multiple partition and make sure you partition as one then format as NTFS.
    I don't know if it support GPT/GUID partition table with more then 2TB so keep that in mind as you may have to used the traditional partitioning.

2. How's the quality compared to desktop version?
    Just the same there no real diff

3. Since storage device uses Fat32 your limit when it comes to space on a single file. Does this cause issues like missed frames going from file 1 to file 2
    Just add this just so you know
    The latest firmware now make it so you can record as one file just long you used NTFS formatted drive if not it just split the file in to multiple parts.

Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The product specs for the HD PVR Rocket say the USB stick's capacity can be between 1GB and 32GB.
    You can go more then 32GB I know 64GB dose work I scene some review and I my self have one, it may even support the 128GB to but I don't have one.
    Last edited by SHS; 22nd Aug 2014 at 20:57.
    Quote Quote  
  7. [QUOTE=SHS;2341663]

3. Since storage device uses Fat32 your limit when it comes to space on a single file. Does this cause issues like missed frames going from file 1 to file 2
    The latest firmware now make it so you can record as one file just long you used NTFS formatted drive if not it just split the file in to multiple parts.
    Are we talking about avermedia device? Fat32 is the issue with live gamer portable.

I notice NTFS is supported by the rocket.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=Revan654;2341711]
    Originally Posted by SHS View Post

Are we talking about avermedia device? Fat32 is the issue with live gamer portable.

I notice NTFS is supported by the rocket.
    All of that I just is for the HD-PVR Rocket that I wrote
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks for all insight. Just have two last questions.

1. Can I use use 64 or 128 usb drivers? I know site only says upto 32gb. If so which ones work?
    2. What's a good usb thumb for 32gb I can use with the rocket? USB 3.0 is preferred with high read and write speeds.

Small note usb drive needs to be a removable usb storage. I know sandisk usb drives are listened as removable storage devices (listed next to harddrive). Some say they changed that on the forums. Not 100% if true or not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all insight. Just have two last questions.

1. Can I use use 64 or 128 usb drivers? I know site only says upto 32gb. If so which ones work?
    As I said I have 64GB as for brand is shouldn't make any diff mine is SanDisk run of mill from Wal-Mart

What's a good usb thumb for 32gb I can use with the rocket? USB 3.0 is preferred with high read and write speeds.
    It doesn't really matter what brand you get just long as it USB 2.0 or higher will be find and you can use USB 3.0 stick if you preferred it that will only speed up copy from stick to the PC
    HD video that is less than 20 Mbits/sec which is 2.5 Mbytes/sec so in Therefore "So any USB 2.0 that had a Sequential write speed range 4~10MB/s will fine." should be "So any USB 2.0 that had a Sequential write speed over 3Mbytes/sec or higher will fine.

Small note usb drive needs to be a removable usb storage. I know sandisk usb drives are listened as removable storage devices (listed next to harddrive). Some say they changed that on the forums. Not 100% if true or not.
    There where some old model stick as in first model that come out didn't work that was some years back with 16 and 32GB.
    Some of the other problem had to do with partition stick which had to be remove and re-formatted with like BootIce x64 in order make see able on Rocket.
    Last edited by SHS; 24th Aug 2014 at 21:22.
    Quote Quote  
  11. [QUOTE=SHS;2342039]
    Originally Posted by Revan654;

There where some old model stick as in first model that come out didn't work that was some years back with 16 and 32GB.
    Some of the other problem had to do with partition stick which had to be remove and re-formatted with like BootIce x64 in order make see able on Rocket.
    New sandisk extreme are fixed drives(confirmed by them). I rather stick with usb storage device rather then fixed storage.

------

Might try PNY turbo 64 gb. Going to avoid sandisk due to fixed drive issue right now. Anyone know how good this drive is and will it work with the device? Or know of a jump drive that is usb 3.0 and is non fixed drive with 64 gb that will work without any issue(with good speeds to the PC)?

- thanks
    Last edited by Revan654; 26th Aug 2014 at 00:45.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That under stand able as mine a Cruzer model and wasn't where of that Fixed/Removable Flash Drives problem but digging deep in to on there forum it seem that SanDisk then had a change of mind and reverted to Removable after lot people starting bitch about it more so when product info doesn't say that it a fixed drive nor anything about NOTES: on the packaging regarding 'Only Windows 8 Compatible'.
    As for PNY I not fan of them had them fail on me, in fact if had another chose I would take HP first if only other brand in the store but I perf Corsair but my sister law keep robbing it from me.
    Quote Quote  
  13. HD Rocket

1. is their any way to improve the audio? Audio sounds very low quality compared to HD-PVR 2 audio quality(PC Free mode).

2. files on my flash drive keep getting deleted by themselves. Second I plug the device into my PC. I have a sandisk cruzer glide.

--------

1. Has their been any confirmation when using good quality cards if their missing frames or not?
    Last edited by Revan654; 29th Aug 2014 at 18:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1: Yes change Game volume in the Hauppauge Capture tool to higher setting and that will save it for stand along mode as well.
    2: That is odd I check with Hauppauge as I never heard any one having that problem by the way what size?.
    Last edited by SHS; 29th Aug 2014 at 19:12.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    1: Yes change Game volume in the Hauppauge Capture tool to higher setting and that will save it for stand along mode as well.
    2: That is odd I check with Hauppauge as I never heard any one having that problem
    I E-mailed them about the jump drive. So far two files have auto deleted them self. Not sure if it's the jump drive or the device.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Give this a try by putting a few small file on it then try stick it back in to the Rocket record some clip then see if they get del those file and clip.
    ? jump drive as in Lexar JumpDrive ?.
    Last edited by SHS; 29th Aug 2014 at 19:30.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    Give this a try by putting a few small file on it then try stick it back in to the Rocket record some clip then see if they get del those file and clip.
    ? jump drive as in Lexar JumpDrive ?.
    I'll try it later on.

Flash, thumb, jump all the same to me. Like I said I have a sandisk cruzer glide.

-------

Audio hasn't improved since I changed it in Capture app, Still stuck at 192kbs. I can barely hear what anyone is saying in the recorded footage.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Revan654 View Post
    2. files on my flash drive keep getting deleted by themselves. Second I plug the device into my PC. I have a sandisk cruzer glide.
    Be sure it's not a counterfeit. Crooks might buy a 16 GB drive then format it as a 64 GB drive -- and charge you a bargain price for what looks like a 64GB drive. You think you got a deal but after a while the 16 GB fills up and old data starts getting overwritten with new. There are utilities around that can check your drive for its real size.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe the out going volume going in to Rocket is to low the audio as for the bitrate has nothing to do with it that will not make any diff from 192kbs vs higher 256kbs bitrate and yes it broken.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Be sure it's not a counterfeit. Crooks might buy a 16 GB drive then format it as a 64 GB drive -- and charge you a bargain price for what looks like a 64GB drive. You think you got a deal but after a while the 16 GB fills up and old data starts getting overwritten with new. There are utilities around that can check your drive for its real size.
    That good point jagabo I heard of people doing this even at local stores like walmart and other places so Revan654 you may want just downlaod BootIce x64 and dbl check it to be sure you got what it should have been.
    But make sure if del file off the stick make sure you dump the trash bin before remove stick as well sometime that can cuase that to happing as well as it writing new a file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Look for a Avermedia Game Capture 2. Its a some portable.

Get a hardrive 2.5 Sata2 and record max 1080p@30fpsx20k bitrate or 1080i@15k.

Its have a HDMI/COMPONENT passtrough.

Video editor internal, network port to upload to Youtube.

Smartphone remote control.

Bought my second unit in last weekend.

For me get 8.5/10.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    Maybe the out going volume going in to Rocket is to low the audio as for the bitrate has nothing to do with it that will not make any diff from 192kbs vs higher 256kbs bitrate and yes it broken.
    volume coming in is fine. I just tested with elgato and audio is fine, rocket audio is low and hard to hear.
    Last edited by Revan654; 30th Aug 2014 at 00:22.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just make are you sure your moving this slider here in below screenshot this what changes the volume for game to make it softer or loader for the Rocket and you should see it go to a blink screen and come back as updates the setting.
    Name:  gamevolume.jpg
Views: 1814
Size:  11.1 KB
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post

For me get 8.5/10.
    Can you transfer files to your PC with this device (either by network port or USB Flash drive)?

What format does the device record to (TS or MP4)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post

For me get 8.5/10.
    Can you transfer files to your PC with this device (either by network port or USB Flash drive)?

What format does the device record to (TS or MP4)?
    From what I recall of that device with the Network port, there's was no way to transfer the files from that device to your computer when I tested it.
    But you can copy to external USB Storage Device Flash or Self Power Harddrive a USB Bus Power may not work.
    File format was MP4
    Quote Quote  
  26. Small update, switch to a different USB flash drive, so far files are not disappearing. I only did two recordings. It might change as I do more recordings, so far so good. I guess something is wrong with the USB flash drive I was using.

------

- I'm assuming the only way to record to .TS is via PC capture software you can't do it in PC free mode?
    - I also assume the only audio format that can be used is AAC, not MP2 audio like in HD-PVR 2?

------

This is bit off topic but do we know if hauppauge is going to release a HD-PVR 3 with support for 1080P60 recording anytime soon?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Small update, switch to a different USB flash drive, so far files are not disappearing. I only did two recordings. It might change as I do more recordings, so far so good. I guess something is wrong with the USB flash drive I was using.
    That good to hear

I'm assuming the only way to record to .TS is via PC capture software you can't do it in PC free mode?
    That right you can't do TS in stand alone mode be side there very little diff in two metafile format container.

I also assume the only audio format that can be used is AAC, not MP2 audio like in HD-PVR 2?
    I think the on board encoder only support AAC how ever there is no real spec out there on chip about the IT9910 HD Grabber Encoder.

This is bit off topic but do we know if hauppauge is going to release a HD-PVR 3 with support for 1080P60 recording anytime soon?
    A 2009 press release claims that Magnum DXTPro Transcoder support 1080p50/60 but as to weather or not if it can really do that is a diff matter which may or may not be full working or there maybe min other reason why it wasn't add or press release has the wrong info so there no tell as I never been get any info on that believe me I try.
    Ambarella is now offers a A6 single-chip 1080p60 transcoder so it possible that may use that chip.
    ViXS Systems has been developed Hardware Encoder but there latest models are nothing but (multi-stream) several channel steaming transcoders chip so there useless for are need unless it for server media setup support min diff type of device.

So there really no telling what Hauppauge is up to as for all we know maybe they waiting or all ready working on next-gen encoder as in newer ver H264/AVC or even possible the H256/HEVC.
    Quote Quote  
  28. That right you can't do TS in stand alone mode be side there very little diff in two metafile format container.
    I just favor .TS over .MP4 just a personal preference.

I think the on board encoder only support AAC how ever there is no real spec out there on chip about the IT9910 HD Grabber Encoder.
    Shame, I was hoping that they could add support for MP2 with a update.

A 2009 press release claims that Magnum DXTPro Transcoder support 1080p50/60 but as to weather or not if it can really do that is a diff matter which may or may not be full working or there maybe min other reason why it wasn't add or press release has the wrong info so there no tell as I never been get any info on that believe me I try.
    Ambarella is now offers a A6 single-chip 1080p60 transcoder so it possible that may use that chip.
    ViXS Systems has been developed Hardware Encoder but there latest models are nothing but (multi-stream) several channel steaming transcoders chip so there useless for are need unless it for server media setup support min diff type of device.

So there really no telling what Hauppauge is up to as for all we know maybe they waiting or all ready working on next-gen encoder as in newer ver H264/AVC or even possible the H256/HEVC.
    Hopefully their working on something. I was just thinking since PS4 is out and doing some games at 60 Frames a second. It would be time for next HD-PVR. Plus Elgato just released their device that records at 60FPS. I would rather have a device from hauppauge instead of Elgato.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Of course Hauppauge is working on something that will record 1080p60. They will cease to exist if they aren't. They know that. The only question is "When?"
    Quote Quote  
  30. Final question and I should be set. When recording in 720p shouldn't the fps be 59.940. When I record to flash drive it's coming over as 58.941 with AVC Baseline of L3.1.

When I recorded 1080i source it comes over with 29.970 with AVC baseline of L4. 1080i is fine but 720p is a bit off.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!