VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there some reason for this?

I've been using xvid4psp for years to convert anime to mp4 to watch on my ps3 and x264 always ran at 100% cpu. Recently i wanted to convert some large file size videos and found a tutorial for a good profile to get them down to a low file size with good quality on megui

But as I've been using it the first pass can only seem to get it at 85-90% cpu usage, sometimes it spikes over 90 but most of the time its below. The second pass seems to consistently stay over 90 but still not using full cpu when its available.

currently using:

Windows 7 64bit
    Dual core at 2.1ghz
    Quote Quote  
  2. You really need that last 10 percent? Sometimes decompressing the source is a bottleneck. Or video filtering. In those cases you may not be able to do anything. Otherwise, try setting the encoder to use more threads. For example, if you're using x264 the default is usually 1.5x the number of cores, 3 in your case. So manually set it to 4.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well yeah, that last 10% adds up when you're talking about 100s of videos.

Okay i found out how to change the number of threads, had to put it at 4 so it would do it.

But it says that that affects quality? I don't really want to change it if i don't have to, it has to be some other type of setting thats causing it, because xvid4psp is using auto (1.5) and uses 100% the entire time.

Is it something in the avisynth profile? I just have it set as the defaults since i don't know much about it

Code:
    <input>
    <deinterlace>
    <crop>
    <resize>
    <denoise>
    Last edited by Tylerr; 30th Jul 2014 at 21:12.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Tylerr View Post
    Okay i found out how to change the number of threads, had to put it at 4 so it would do it.

But it says that that affects quality?
    Not by any amount you could see.

Originally Posted by Tylerr View Post
    it has to be some other type of setting thats causing it, because xvid4psp is using auto (1.5) and uses 100% the entire time.
    If changing threads from 3 to 4 got you to 100 percent -- that was the bottleneck. Maybe Xvid3PSP spent more time on other stuff. Or it used different x264 settings. There is a 100 fold difference in speed between the fastest and slowest settings in x264 (when there are no other bottlenecks).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post

But it says that that affects quality?
    Not by any amount you could see.

it has to be some other type of setting thats causing it, because xvid4psp is using auto (1.5) and uses 100% the entire time.
    If changing threads from 3 to 4 got you to 100 percent -- that was the bottleneck. Maybe Xvid3PSP spent more time on other stuff. Or it used different x264 settings. There is a 100 fold difference in speed between the fastest and slowest settings in x264 (when there are no other bottlenecks).
    Alright

One more question, what is thread input? Doesn't have any information when hovering over it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MeGUI/x264_Settings

Decodes the input video in a separate thread to the encoding process. Enabled implicitly when threads > 1.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!