VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi folks, this is my first post and I'm totally new to digital video, so please bear with me.

I've searched this and other forums for an answer to my problem, but the only thread that came up here with pretty much the same question was from 2007 and went unanswered (a bad precedent I'd say).

Here's the situation: I live in Brazil and in some regions here they use a 240V/60Hz (NOT 50Hz) AC supply, but analog TV is based on 60Hz/30fps. They also use Japan's ISDB-T system for terrestrial DTV. I assume all modern TVs sold here comply with those standards.

Now, I want to get this AV receiver from Harman/Kardon, an European model that works on 240V, between my video sources and this Samsung smart TV, using HDMI connections. Those video sources are basically internet programming like Netflix, directly fed to the smart TV - it's connected to the internet via a regular network cable and its firmware had lots of apps from Youtube, the BBC, Vimeo etc. - and an Intel NUC PC for games and other video.

Problem is, the Harman receiver specs say it's PAL. My questions:

1. Can the PAL AV receiver handle HDMI passthrough from the NUC?
    2. Will the HDMI audio backfeed from the TV work with this PAL receiver, considering (my guess that) the TV is likely to be playing NTSC(ish, 30fps-based) programming from the internet and whatever other sources (aerial, digital cable/sat etc.)?

To sum it all up, I guess the main question is "will I be OK with this particular receiver or should I bite the bullet and get an NTSC receiver and a step down transformer?"

Thanks in advance for your replies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PAL has little or nothing to do with HDMI and vv. One is analogue the other is digital. This AV receiver's claim to PAL is when a TV is connected to its composite analogue video out, the OSD is PAL by default, and is the only output where PAL is relevant. I even suspect that one can change the analogue out OSD to NTSC, and that if NTSC or some other hybrid signal (like PAL60) is encountered, they are gonna be let through. The analogue input of the TV should be capable of handling it. For exclusive use of HDMI, it doesn't matter.
    If the default OSD is indeed 25p or 50i for HD signals through the HDMI connection, then connecting a TV bought in North America (which is snarkily designed only for 24p, 29.97p, and 59.94i) might initially be a problem, until that default is changed.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Babe RuthLess View Post
    I've searched this and other forums for an answer to my problem, but the only thread that came up here with pretty much the same question was from 2007 and went unanswered (a bad precedent I'd say).
    I call bs on this. I took a look at your link and that question most definitely did NOT "go unanswered". That is an outright deception. Maybe you don't like the answer or it wasn't as informative as you like, but give the time when it was asked and the fact that the guy who replied was one of our more respected members (he's not every active these days, but at the time he was), that is just a grossly inaccurate description of that post. I think his response was certainly quite fair 7 years ago as there wasn't any way to say with certainty what was being asked about. So sorry, your highness, that edDV couldn't see into the future that 7 years later you would want a different answer. Since you've decided to start off here with a combative attitude, I think I'll pass on your thread. But don't worry. We actually have people here who for some reason like combative jerks like you, so I'm sure that you'll have even more answers up your alley soon enough.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!