VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ive been playing .MKVs on my Sony BDV-N590 for ages now, but every now and again some .MKVs wouldnt work, so i wanted to know why,
    The main problem was (Im still Noob) that the level was 5.1 so i converted to 4.1? and it worked, the film played, but now i cant fast forward
    without it stopping/crashing.? Ive tried to add Chapters with Chapterizer but when i press the forward button, it takes ages to go to the next chapter.? is there a way to stop this.? ive got .MKVs that go straight to the next chapter, what is the differance between these and the ones ive got.??

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    There are many factors which may support fast seeking, and we can't tell you for certain without an in-depth analysis (e.g. MediaInfo -f).

One of the most important factors will be: Is the AVC video encoded with Blu-ray compatibility options, especially short GOPs (at most 1 to 2 seconds, depending on Profile@Level restrictions)?

Less important factors may be details of the MKV container, regarding regularly contained data about the size of each current (and possibly previous) GOP, in addition to a complete keyframe index. 3rd party multiplexers (e.g. based on ffmpeg) may create incomplete MKV containers, compared to mkvmerge.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good Lord!.. Im way over my depth.. i havent a clue what u just said!

Isnt there software with a big 'Work' button on.?

Thanks for trying to help!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    There is easy-to-use software.

And there is high-quality software.

The number of elements in the intersecting set is close to zero.

I am more interested in high quality, therefore I don't know any no-education-required software I could recommend...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Slightly patronizing, but im sure u are only being playful!

Ill go back to my 'Trial and Error' way of learning ..

Ill come back in a month when im at your level ..
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Well, if you got an MKV directly from a Blu-ray, without reencoding (e.g. using MakeMKV), it will play most probably without issues, because the contained AVC video is still exactly the same as in the Blu-ray.

If you got the MKV from any other source, it will probably have been compressed to reduce filesize without noticably reducing visual quality. That may play well on a PC. But it may not be compatible to Blu-ray-and-more consumer players anymore, because their decoding chips are more limited than decoder software for PCs.

I don't know which software you used to convert those MKVs even further to be AVC Level 4.1 compliant. If you named some tools you already use, one may be able to recommend you to check a box here or there...
    Quote Quote  
  7. users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Blimey, that's a new one.!

Shut down the internet and reopen the library's!!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Just thought that your issue might be related to one of the container features added in the last few years and that reading up on the features which might cause a problem might be a good idea.

Shut down the internet and reopen the library's!!!
    At least here libraries never closed,...
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!