VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!
    Perhaps it is already possible to create a theme Daala vs HEVC.
    There is a demo booth with pictures > http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/daala/update1-tool2b.shtml
    On the example"Pont de Quebec at Night" - this Daala very strongly presses the small details/stars and edges noisy + what that faint blue glow is present in almost all the photographs (similar to the effect of field).
    Quote Quote  
  2. Aside from being totally offtopic:
    For me Daala is a marketing stunt unless I there's a encoder (which I can use with pipe input) and a directshow decoder which can decode the content.
    Then it would start to get interesting and one would still need a container&which would support Daala.
    (+ looking at how it performs on the Cloisfest image, it would probably a bad choice of codec for the anime crowd atm.)
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Gravitator View Post
    Hi!
    Perhaps it is already possible to create a theme Daala vs HEVC.
    There is a demo booth with pictures > http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/daala/update1-tool2b.shtml
    On the example"Pont de Quebec at Night" - this Daala very strongly presses the small details/stars and edges noisy + what that faint blue glow is present in almost all the photographs (similar to the effect of field).
    How are you supposed to know which is more accurate without seeing the uncompressed source?
    Quote Quote  
  4. @jagabo: why not select 'original image' on one side?
    @moderators: would be nice if this all could be split into another thread,...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    @jagabo: why not select 'original image' on one side?
    Ah, missed those pulldowns.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Daala (master as of April 30, 2014), VP8, x264, and x265 at identical output size
    I wonder how they managed that.
    - VP8 (and 9) got a really bad 2pass implementation, so hitting a bit rate seems to be more like a game of luck
    - x264s hitting a bit rate normally works in an acceptable manor, but to get identical output size you still would probably need more than one encode.
    - getting x265 and Daala (which both have no real 2pass/precise rate control) to hit one target
    -> LOL, sounds like a silly dream.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    (+ looking at how it performs on the Cloisfest image, it would probably a bad choice of codec for the anime crowd atm.)

Cloisfest image - it is seen as texture floats on the neighboring plot (need adjustment).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Cloisfest.jpg
Views:	1697
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	26309

Will be useful filter "Chrome smoother" for decoder.

Name:	baba v krasnom.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	26312

And a faint blue glow can be associated with Chroma From Luma Prediction > http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/daala/demo4.shtml
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    @moderators: would be nice if this all could be split into another thread,...
    Yes it's becoming a bloody mess with all the "vs." threads. Or at least a separate Daala thread
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On an example of a test image "Ohashi" is clearly seen as a there is an infringement color dynamics in light blue range.

Name:	Ohashi.png
Views:	1485
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	26386
    Quote Quote  
  10. Daala vs H.265 encoded by daala engineer may 20 ,2014

daala 3.8kb

Name:	fruits_low4.png
Views:	342
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	26393

x265 3.5kb

Name:	fruits-x265-crf=51.png
Views:	338
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	26394
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I think I'm gonna faint. david55 actually posted a comparison where it's possible to actually see a real difference in the photos instead of the usual "this is one millionth worse than the other photo" stuff we usually get where 99% of human beings can't see any difference or don't care if they do see it because the difference is so small.

Yes, jagabo, we all know that YOU do see things differently from everybody else. You're in the 1% camp.
    Quote Quote  
  12. When there aren't very obvious differences you have to look at the less obvious differences. It's not my fault people are posting relatively high bitrate samples where the differences are tiny. I'd prefer to see moderate bitrate encodings where the faults are clearer -- because that's where these codecs will be used. The samples in post 13 are too far gone to be of any use.

Personally, I'm not interested in h.265 or Daala at this point. Until I have devices that play them it's all academic to me.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Until I have devices that play them it's all academic to me.
    just for the record I just reencoded a 1080p file using DivX265 and the Zopo 980+ of my girlfriend has no problem playing it back (without any hickups) using Mx Player (afaik it uses libav).

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Zopo 980+ uses the processor МТК6592 - supports hardware decoding of HEVC_1080P@30fps.
    Last edited by Gravitator; 14th Jul 2014 at 13:58.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Oh, it even has hardware decoding support for hevc, nice.
    Quote Quote  
  16. daala demo about new technique

https://people.xiph.org/~jm/daala/paint_demo/

Encoded with daala deringing filter (paint algorithm) 16kb

Name:	fruits_pf_full.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	27691

Encoded with JPEG 16kb

Name:	fruits_16k.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	27693

Encoded just with paint algorithm

Name:	paint_sydney16.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	27692

Encoded just with paint algorithm

Name:	paint_iena16.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	27694
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'd like to see those last 2 as video!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    I'd like to see those last 2 as video!

Scott
    http://jmvalin.ca/daala/paint_demo/parkjoy_paint.webm
    Quote Quote  
  19. @david55: just judging by the name it looks more like 'parkjoy' than the clips belonging to the last two images Cornucopia was looking for
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    @david55: just judging by the name it looks more like 'parkjoy' than the clips belonging to the last two images Cornucopia was looking for
    I think you must pay daala engineers to see those last pictures as video above link was just a reference for those people that didn't go to daala demo page .
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This algorithm may allow the excess savings bitrate for video communication.
    Still give indulgence per a brand new compression technology (encode / decode)
    Quote Quote  
  22. I installed the codecs Daala. For me, these are the codecs that are currently teach humility. WQHD file i420 8bit 60fps, 300 frames processed to 1h 36min. The result of a visual film: film is faded and lost clarity.

Asked parameters were equivalent to the size of the file X265 20000kbps:
    PHP Code:
    ffmpeg.exe -f rawvideo -pix_fmt yuv420p10le -s 3840x2160 -r 120.000 -"3840x2160_120fps_420_10bit_YUV.yuv" -s 3840x2160 -r 60.000 -f yuv4mpegpipe -pix_fmt yuv420p - | daalaenc.exe - -v 100 -k 60 -"3840x2160_60fps_420_8bit.ogm" 
    Last edited by Jamaika; 8th Mar 2015 at 04:54.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Send us your comments and suggestions for improvement.
    Well still alpha. Affirmative specification will only appear at the end of the year (Go experiments).
    They started from scratch, while HEVC continues from AVC.

http://git.xiph.org/?p=daala.git
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!