VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Everytime I rip a Blu-Ray disc of mine into .m2ts format, when I extract the audio from the .m2ts all audio tracks work except for the ones Mediainfo say are TrueHD / AC-3.

Everytime Mediainfo says theres a track of that kind I cannot extract it properly, playback the file, I cannot re-encode the file or convert to anything else. I cant do anything with the file really. Its just a non working extracted audio file over 1GB in size and it claims its over 5 hours long as well while the other is usually in the 200-300MB area and proper length.

All of the other audio tracks that are AC-3 work just fine and I can encode or convert them to Nero AAC with ease.

I figure this is just a codec thing but I have the latest Combined Community Codec Pack and K-Lite Codec Pack and neither one of them are enabling these extracted TrueHD / AC-3 files to work.

Whats weird is if I open the .m2ts file in windows media player classic, the TrueHD / AC-3 track seems to play just fine on one of my computers. Its when I try to extract the audio tracks from the .m2ts file that I get the problem I mentioned above and I have tried several different extraction methods and programs. I'm always getting this same issue.

Do I need some kind of codec or plugin to get these to work with my computer?
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 8th Jul 2014 at 22:40.
    Quote Quote  
  2. troubleshoot it yourself using eac3to , using just a single utility ... if you need to securely play that stream, to check that stream for some reason, mux it in mkv, it takes less than a minute ...

1. get stream number for your stream from that original m2ts:
    Code:
    eac3to.exe "original.m2ts" -progressnumbers -LOG="list_of_streams.LOG"
    2. demux that stream, in this case your stream is #2 for example:
    Code:
    eac3to.exe "original.m2ts"  2: "trueHD_audio.THD+AC3"   -progressnumbers -LOG="demux.LOG"
    3.encode
    Code:
    eac3to.exe "trueHD_audio.THD+AC3" "out.ac3" -512 -down6 -down16 -LOG="encode.LOG"
    Last edited by _Al_; 8th Jul 2014 at 23:23.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I muxed it onto MKV with an mkv file I had just to see if the audio track would play. It seems to play when put into the MKV file just like in the m2ts file but once again, I can't extract it from the MKV and when I do with MKVExtract, its a useless unplayable or nonusable file. Its like it goes corrupt or something everytime I extract it. Also when extracted from the MKV its becomes a smaller file size.

I dragged the mkv file onto the application.exe and ran it.

Log says this

MKV, 1 video track, 3 audio tracks, 1 subtitle track, 1:25:15, 24p /1.001
    1: h264/AVC, 640x480 24p /1.001 (4:3)
    "ENCODED"
    2: TrueHD, 5.1 channels, 48kHz
    3: AAC, English, 2.0 channels, 24kHz
    "English"
    4: AAC, Japanese, 2.0 channels, 24kHz
    "Japanese"
    5: Subtitle (SRT), English, "English"
    Bitstream parsing for tracks 3 and 4 failed. <WARNING>
    Demuxing these tracks may still produce correct results - or not. <WARNING>

I'm not a pro with eac3to so I don't know all its aspects or full usage. I haven't got it to encode or convert a single audio file for me yet. Command prompt opens up for a second then closes and thats it. I don't have any file or anything from it.
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 9th Jul 2014 at 01:53.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Okay I figured out this command line stuff and it actually worked this time and the file works.

Thanks for your time and attempt to help.

I only have one question.

Why is it people can just type "eac3to test.dts test.ac3 -640" in command prompt but I have to type the entire directory of where to find the .exe file in order for it to work.

I have to type this

"c:\users\????\desktop\eac3to\eac3to.exe test.dts test.ac3 -640"

while I saw others just type this

"eac3to test.dts test.ac3 -640"
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    There is an environment-variable called PATH. The command-line interpreter (cmd.exe) looks for the names of the .EXEs in all folders included in the PATH.

http://ss64.com/nt/path.html

On Windows XP, you just press WIN+Pause/Break, tab "Advanced", button "Environment variables".
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 9th Jul 2014 at 11:06. Reason: add URL
    Quote Quote  
  6. there is different ways to do it, everybody has different habits of executing these commands,
    you can use batch files, avoiding typing into command prompt window, then you can easily edit those lines and slowly start using more and more lines at once - running script,
    write those lines into notepad and save it for example as encode_audio.BAT,
    then you can run that batch script (double clicking it), where there is path for eac3to included in that script:
    Code:
    @echo off
    SET eac3to="c:\users\user_name\desktop\eac3to\eac3to.exe"
    %eac3to%  test.dts test.ac3 -640
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!