VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hallo,
    I am currently using a Sony HDR-CX730 camcorder and I think, it's working just fine. I like it because of the stabilisation system and the missing of rolling shutter, but the photo function is bad.
    Now I am interested in the bridge camera DSC-HX400 as a replacement. It seems to use the same stabilisation system und can record in 50p too.
    My question: Is the overall video quality identical (sharpness, color, low light, rolling shutter and stabi)? The HX400 doesn't have a mic input, but can use a Sony mic with its active shoe. The missing of 5.1 is no issue for me.
    Beneath the better photo quality, the 50x optical zoom is a nice feature. Interesting, that the CX730 costs twice as much as the HX400.
    What are your thoughts?
    Greetings from Germany!
    Miepel
    PS: Please excuse my poor English.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I see nothing in the specs to suggest the HV400 should be any better than the CX730 (quite the opposite.) What leads you to believe otherwise?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Photo quality and zoom range should be better. I just want to know, if the video quality is identical.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't know. 24 vs 20 megapixels in favor of the 730, larger image sensor for the 730. Yes the 400 has a longer zoom. But the 730 is ergonomically and electronically a video camera -- optimized for video mode.

But the only way to really know is a side by side comparison.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The sensor of the CX730 is smaller (1/2,88), but has a lower resolution of ca. 6 MP. Photos with "higher" resolutions are only interpolated. The camcorder acts very slowly with photos and has only a LED "flash". The sensor of the HX400 is bigger (1/2,3), but has a higher resolution of ca. 20 MP (=smaller pixels on the chip). The one chip is optimized for video, the other for photos. I wonder, if this is visible in video mode.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do not forget: Cameras had lower visible video resolution than camcorders.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!