VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello. I want a program that can convert YV12 into RGB.

I don't want to change anything else whatsoever on my video, just the color format. Simple, isn't it?

How can I do it? (also, the program must work with .mkv)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Any movie player does that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Your question doesn't really make any sense. What is it you are trying to do? You have uncompressed Y12 video and you want to make it uncompressed RGB?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nevermind, I was trying to do something here but it actually won't work the way I intended.

But... take a look at this:

^I have this video but it's way too big: 4.55GB. It'd take forever for me to upload to youtube with my slow internet speed.

So I want to convert it to .mkv so it will reduce the file's size. What's a good way to do that?
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can use mkvtoonix to rewrap to mkv with no conversion whatsoever.

If you want to reduce the file's size (not what you originally asked) try handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I think Handbrake will accept Lagarith in AVI. You can then compress as h.264 in MKV or MP4.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by synnchan View Post
    Hello. I want a program that can convert YV12 into RGB.

I don't want to change anything else whatsoever on my video, just the color format. Simple, isn't it?

How can I do it? (also, the program must work with .mkv)
    Encode your video with Lagarith or UtVideo codec
    AND
    Select the RGB(A) mode of these codecs

Then just use mkvtoolnix to mux into mkv.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by synnchan View Post
    Nevermind, I was trying to do something here but it actually won't work the way I intended.

But... take a look at this:

^I have this video but it's way too big: 4.55GB. It'd take forever for me to upload to youtube with my slow internet speed.

So I want to convert it to .mkv so it will reduce the file's size. What's a good way to do that?
    MKV is a container format and will not reduce file size.
    Also I doubt if youtube accepts MKV. RGB AVI (lagarith) is also out of question.

Just use any video transcoder of your choosing to encode it into MP4
    Quote Quote  
  9. Also I doubt if youtube accepts MKV.
    youtube normally should accept everything ffmpeg can handle, so mkv shouldn't be a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  10. There's no reason to convert YV12 lagarith to RGB lagarith. Doing so will only make the file bigger and lose a little quality. Any program that can read RGB lagarith can read YV12 lagarith. They guy just wants a smaller video for upload to youtube. I verified that Handbrake can read the original YV12 Lagarith file. So it's a simple matter to open it in Handbrake, select and configure a video codec, and save it in an MP4 or MKV file.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. So, seems like Handbrake is what I should use, right?

Can someone post a screenshot here with the correct configurations I should select on Handbrake? I want something that will reduce file size but will also keep the quality nearly as good as the original. But it must reduce it to a reasonable size. And by that, I mean something I can upload to youtube with an internet this fast:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3592468912
    Quote Quote  
  12. Try the Regular -> High Profile preset, h.264, Constant Frame Rate, Constant Quality, RF=18 to 21.
    Quote Quote  
  13. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    FYI, Ookla Speedtest is not reliable: http://testmy.net/ipb/topic/28902-why-do-my-results-differ-from-speedtestnet-ookla-speed-tests/

Secondly, YouTube resamples the audio to 44.1kHz, so you'd better record the sound of your games at 44.1kHz as well.

FWIW: when I had a YouTube channel for my M.U.G.E.N videos, I used either Xvid or WMV3, with
    constant quantizer = 3, maximum GOP length = 300 frames, no B-frames. And for Xvid especifically,
    quantization type = MPEG-2. Audio remained uncompressed. Also, keep in mind that HTTP file transfers
    can use compression, and as a consequence, sometimes the uploads happen faster than you expected ^_^
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!