VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Exactly when did their AVI Trimmer + MKV become Adware ? As of this latest release, or earlier ?
    Went to download the previous release, _1307, from 'Old Versions' here, but Avast objected with "Threat Has Been Detected." (Unknown what threat it had in mind, without forcing the issue and overriding objections on the download.)

[EDIT: it may have downloaded after all, provided the file length is supposed to be 13,632,657. After the fact, an Avast scan is saying 'No Threat Found.']

If I take this latest Adware version, I'm wondering if I might be able to extract everything first with PeaZip or Universal Extractor, toss the offensive crap overboard, and proceed with an installer-less manual install ? That worked for the last version of ImgBurn, and maybe some other things using an Open Candy type installer, but probably not for all the items being flagged here as Adware based.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 19th Jun 2014 at 15:53.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by Baldrick; 20th Jun 2014 at 03:02.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Baldrick.

Always nice to have a "what the hell, I don't care" testbed for such things -- or a good sandbox setup, or temp VM for investigating them.

[The 'Open Candy' procedure from the ImbBurn example assumed one had an already installed older version. Then, just extract the pieces as I mentioned, and substitute the program's .Exe file, plus any essential .DLLs, being careful to identify and avoid the adware etc. junk. Hopefully, the result should be an updated program. I'm not sure what procedure might work, for an original install . . . . ]

[Update: the method mentioned above has not worked on this file, using Universal Extractor 1.6.1, equipped with the latest available Innounp and UPX modules. (The later "unofficial" 1.7.x builds of UE are being described as bogus and unreliable.) It appears to be an issue with unpacking some of the latest install archive formats without executing them, nothing more mysterious than that. A solution should come along in due course.]
    Last edited by Seeker47; 20th Jun 2014 at 17:18.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!