VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by minimax View Post
    1. Therefore: how should I go about enabling YUY2 in Cedocida?
    Covered in post #29.

By the way, the configuration isn't a part of VirtualDub. VirtualDub is just one of the ways to access it. Any program that builds VFW filter graphs and lets you set the filter properties will give you access to it.

Originally Posted by minimax View Post
    2. I did install ffdshow, but again, I have no idea as to how to work with the program or how to enable the row video codec.
    Start -> All Programs -> ffdshow -> vfw configuration -> Decoder tab -> Codecs (left pane) -> Raw Video (right pane) -> All Supported (pulldown).

3. I looked into Video -> Color Depth -> Decompression Format -> YY2:2 YCbCr YUY2.
    In the list I could not find YY2:2 YCbCr YUY2 and this is part of what I see:
    Cut/Paste Typo on my part: 4:2:2 YCbCr (YUY2).

4. Windows Media Player worked quite well before. When I just dropped an .avs onto the WML logo on my desktop it played well and started immediately. I found it quite useful and regret that it does not work anymore.
    Did you have 64 bit AviSynth before?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1. Thanks, yes of course. (in #30 I probably changed it only in VDubMod....) It won't happen again.
    Now it looks like this in VDub:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cedocida 2.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	28314

2. In ffdshow I did this and then pressed OK:

Name:	ffdshow vfw.JPG
Views:	444
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	28315

3. I'm not quite sure of what you mean by 'Cut/Paste Typo on my part: '
    Below you see what I did: I clicked 4:2:2 YCbCr (YUY2). Is that OK?

Name:	YCbCr;YUY2.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	28316

4. No, this still is the first version of Avisynth I ever used.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo,
    after the above changes the avs script still runs fine and the straight avi still causes the "canot decompress" error:

Name:	Cannot decompress1.JPG
Views:	386
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	28319
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Even after saving 4:2:2 YCbCr (YUY2) as a default, I am still getting the "cannot decompress" error.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If you need to directly open then in vdub and play with the input button for some reason, one way to do it is change back to vdub's internal DV decoder in the preferences. AVISource() won't use vdub's internal decoder (it will still use cedocida)
    Quote Quote  
  6. You don't really need to play the videos in VirtualDub anyway. You just need to see the result of the script.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks poisondeathray, it works fine again.

Are there any disadvantages to this change?
    Here is the present state of 'Preferences, AVI'

Name:	VD Preferencesl.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	28330

jagabo,
    I see what you mean but I am still learning to work with VDub, so I really prefer to have it working properly.

a) For the same reason I would like to get Media Player working as it did before.
    Any idea what I should change?

b) Could you let me know whether I did the right things under 1, 2 and 3 in post #62?

c) We have been changing many things recently as a result of my "modified" Carnaval-0.avi.
    Would it be wise to re-install both VDub and AviSynth, or perhaps even better, do a system restore
    back to before the date I installed these programs?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by minimax View Post
    I used it for the integrated script editor and did not realize it is 10 years old. As a script editor I now use AVSEdit. Or would you suggest a better one?
    Best script editor without a doubt is avspmod. It the closest thing to a GUI for avisynth. You can preview videos in multiple tabs (eg. quickly swap between versions using number keys to compare effects of filters), program sliders (knobs for controlling filters), macros, encode video, color picker (for reading off RGB or YUV values of pixels) , a trim editor, crop editor, autofill for filter arugments, much more.... It's not really a "player" (you can't play video), but it's a must have IMO for any non casual avisynth user. I have no idea how other people (*ahm* cough.. jagabo) manage to use notepad for avisynth editing

Thanks poisondeathray, it works fine again.

Are there any disadvantages to this change?
    Here is the present state of 'Preferences, AVI'
    Disadvantage is you use vdub's internal decoders for DV and mjpeg. Whatever that might be... Generally you're safe , but there are times when you might want to use a 3rd party decoder
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 2nd Nov 2014 at 18:39.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you poisondeathray,
    This looks promising and shall certainly give it a try.

For a quick look at the results I used to simply drop the avs into WMPlayer where it would play instantly. As you may have seen in #58 that facility does not work any longer. Instead I am getting a message (in Dutch) saying as much as:
    "Cannot play the file. Possibly the player does not support the file type or the required codec is not installed on the computer".
    Do you have an idea on how I could repair this?
    Quote Quote  
  10. WMP is a terrible, terrible piece of software

Can you test in MPCHC ? If MPCHC cannot open avs scripts then something is misconfigure
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    (*ahm* cough.. jagabo)
    *Ahem* cough... manono, too. I've never used anything but notepad in my life on my AviSynth scripts.

But, yes, if the scripts won't open in MPC-HC, only then would I be worried.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    (*ahm* cough.. jagabo)
    *Ahem* cough... manono, too. I've never used anything but notepad in my life on my AviSynth scripts.
    Hahaha You guys are LIVIN ON THE EDGE!!!! RAHARHHR!!! Commando STYLE!!!!!

Wow really oldskool

@Minimax:

Another reason to use MPCHC to debug is there are more options exposed. WMP has no options if you haven't noticed. It's not configurable. Once you get it working in MPCHC it should work in WMP if you really really want to

Start with a simple script , in RGB, like

Code:
    ColorBars()
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again, I shall certainly have look at MPCHC.

Must admit I am a bit weary of having too many different players on my system..
    I was fairly satisfied with WMP as it served its purpose quite well, and I'm used to working with it.
    So, if you have a clue I'd be much obliged.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I have no clue what you've done. You need to go step by step and debug. Or go back to system restore point if you really want to

MPCHC is "portable" no install. You can drop and drag videos/avs onto it as well . If you really dislike it , delete it after debugging. Nothing is installed, no registry changes
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by minimax View Post
    a) For the same reason I would like to get Media Player working as it did before.
    Any idea what I should change?
    I think you'll find a 32 bit version of WMP in "c:\program files (x86)\windows media player\ "

b) Could you let me know whether I did the right things under 1, 2 and 3 in post #62?
    Those look fine. Now that you know Cedocida is working you can reenable RGB24 and RGB32 output from Cecodida if you want. I use libavcodec rather than Xvid for raw decoding in ffdshow. I don't think it makes any difference for YV12.

c) We have been changing many things recently as a result of my "modified" Carnaval-0.avi.
    Would it be wise to re-install both VDub and AviSynth, or perhaps even better, do a system restore
    I don't think you need to.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK poisondeathray, that is a relief. I'll have a look at it tomorrow.
    It is getting late again over here..
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you jagabo,
    For the time being I shall leave things as they are.
    Earlier (#27) you told me to "disable all outputs except YV12" in the Cedocida configuration dialog.
    Nevertheless, at present both the YUY2 and YV12 boxes are checked. Is that a problem?

Another question:
    Apparently, in VDub filters (and avs scripts & plugins?) can be applied only in the Full Processing Mode.
    Otherwise something like this appears:

Name:  VDub Dir Stream.JPG
Views: 1584
Size:  14.1 KB

However, the result in this mode is a huge file which has grown by a factor 10!
    How could this be avoided?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by minimax View Post
    Earlier (#27) you told me to "disable all outputs except YV12" in the Cedocida configuration dialog.
    That was when we were trying to figure out why you weren't getting YV12 from Cedocida. It turned out your video wasn't DV but rather RGB.

Nevertheless, at present both the YUY2 and YV12 boxes are checked. Is that a problem?
    No. As has been pointed out numerous times, you can use the pixel_type argument to specify what format you want out of the decoder if you don't get what you want by default.

Apparently, in VDub filters (and avs scripts & plugins?) can be applied only in the Full Processing Mode.
    Otherwise something like this appears:

[Attachment 28340 - Click to enlarge]

However, the result in this mode is a huge file which has grown by a factor 10!
    How could this be avoided?
    Full processing mode (all filtering) works on uncompressed frames. If you want the output to use compression you need to select a compression codec and configure it. Video -> Compression...
    Quote Quote  
  19. A critical difference is you can use video=>fast recopress in vdub with avs scripts to prevent colorspace conversions. So if all filters in your avs script work in YUV you can stay in YUV

Many vdub filters work in RGB (although some work in YUV now). Often you don't want a YUV=>RGB conversion, because it can clip values, and slight avoidable quality loss

Avisynth frameserves uncompressed video & audio, that's why the size is so large with direct stream copy. An avs script "looks" like uncompressed audio & video to the other program that is opening it
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo, poisondeathray,

Right, processing is done on uncompressed frames; that was new to me.
    Now, which actual steps would I have to take in order to assure that the output avi is not considerably bigger than the original?

Meanwhile I did the following:

1. I cut a new short test-avi called Carnaval-1.avi. MediaInfo tells me it is DV, PAL, 25fps interlaced.

2. Wrote this script:
    AVISource("D:\AVISYNTH\Exercises\Carnaval-1.avi")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\descratch.dll")

and I get this message:

Name:  Not a clip.JPG
Views: 841
Size:  14.2 KB

3. After reversing the order of the lines the script reads:

Now it does run in VDub but I see no change in the scratches whatsoever.
    I have the suspicion that I am missing something and that the script is not complete.
    Shall be looking forward to any suggestion.

At present I am reviewing everything you suggested in the past 70+(!) posts. Meanwhile my computer started behaving funnily so I shall do a system restore after all and start all over again, installing the right versions and making use of your valuable observations.
    Quote Quote  
  21. You have to call the filter , not just load it .

Descratch()

Then look at the documentation to adjust Descratch settings. It's not a very effective filter IMO. Scratches are difficult to "remove" properly
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right! That is what was missing.Thank you.
    What I would like to do on the 8mm material at hand is this:

remove/reduce scratches (lenghtwise and random)
    remove/reduce spots (dirt)
    improve & correct faded colours
    sharpen the image

From your vast experience could you let me know which filters are most effective in this respect?

Furthermore, I evidently have an enormous lack in knowledge on how to adjust filter settings etc.
    So, I did read AviSynth's 'Getting Started', AnimeMusicVideos' Guides, and some of the After Dawn tutorials, which are all fairly clear to me and it seems one should be able to succeed without getting into too much detail.

How wrong can one be. On AviSynth alone, there is a vast amount of documentation available. The problem however, is in the word "vast": it is too much. At my age the learning process is getting slower and I would need weeks if not months to come to grips with it. I simply don't have that much time.

Consequently, what I am looking for is is a tutorial telling me step-by-step e.g. the exact settings for VirtualDub and how to write a simple (but complete!) script and load a plugin, giving examples that actually work. Ideally, I'd have a ready made script in which I only have to change values in order to adapt it to the material at hand. This is why I had high hopes regarding the use of Fred v.d. Putte's scripts...

In conclusion, would you know where I could find such a practical tutorial or a script that works in the hands of a newbie like me?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by minimax View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You have to call the filter , not just load it .
    Right! That is what was missing.Thank you.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/365089-8mm-Film-Restoration?p=2353637&viewfull=1#post2353637

would you know where I could find such a practical tutorial or a script that works in the hands of a newbie like me?
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Main_Page#New_to_AviSynth_-_start_here
    Last edited by jagabo; 5th Nov 2014 at 07:29.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So you told me before.. sorry jagabo.

Could you also let me know which are the best filters for the items I mentioned in #82 ?
    That would save me a lot of time.

Thanks for showing me the way to the script examples! I missed that the first time.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Honestly, It's not something that someone new to avisynth should tackle. You need to have some basic understanding

You can cut and paste scripts, but unless you understand what is going on and customize it to your specific source characteristics, you're not going to get good results

So you can start with Fred's scripts, or John Meyer has some good variations on those as well. But if you don't customize them , you will won't get good results. Or just try it , the defaults might give "good enough" results for your expectations

Avisynth has good filters and approaches for removing dirt , but it's terrible for removing scratches, and color correction isn't very strong either , especially the "auto" versions that you see. It takes some manual work
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many thanks for your sound advice poisondeathray.

Maybe you could get me a link or two, to those you are using yourself?

How about the filters in/for VDub? Are they any good for descratching?
    And again, which ones would you recommend from your own experience?
    Quote Quote  
  27. I don't deal much with 8mm, but I've posted some general approaches in the past , you can use search

I recommend you learn from the people that deal with it frequently - John Meyer (he posts on Doom9 frequently, but I see him around here now and then) , Fred of course, a few others. There are lots of scripts and filters you can cut & paste (at least to start with) posted on Doom9. You have go through it - there is no shortcut or magic bullet. If you run into problems or error messages or need specific advice, then ask. Nobody is going to outline a 30 page report on how to do this for all situations . Sometimes posting sample help to explain the specific issues you are facing, or maybe someone has a novel approach for your specific issues. Because when you say something like "scratches" - that can mean a thousand different things. The size , lenght, width, channels affected, temporal characteristics, color - can all affect how you might manage them. Same with "dirt", or "color". Those are very non descriptive. If you ask generic advice, you will get generic answers.

There are no good avisynth or vdub filters for scratches. Detection is one thing, but "fixing" it or replacing it is another. Especially long scratches or defects - what do you "replace" it with ? You will find many of the "auto" approaches will be very damaging (e.g. a lightpost gets removed, or stop sign, because the vertical characteristics might resemble some of the scratches you're dealing with)

The "best" advice is to get a good transfer in the first place. That can mitigate many of the problems right away
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 5th Nov 2014 at 11:12.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for putting things in perspective for me. This is really appreciated.
    There is no better way of learning than just doing it, I agree.
    My problem was that I got stopped in my tracks right away, as nothing seemed to work.
    As planned I shall re-install everything and start exercising, looking at what other have done in the places you indicated.
    Many thanks again for your help thus far!
    Quote Quote  
  29. You shouldn't need to reinstall anything. Most common problem is a missing filter, or simple mistake or typo

If you get stuck, or just ask . There will usually be an error message with avisynth , so post that . Lots of people around to help with those types of common mistakes, finding .dll's , filters, etc...

It can be daunting and flustering at first, but you just need to stick through it. It's really not that bad once you get going with a few simple scripts. I was completely overwhelmed at first when learning avisynth. I quit several times. It took a few years before I finally got serious about it. So I can completely understand how very difficult this is for someone new, who doesn't have any programming background. I had lots of help from various people, so I try to help back . Now that I see how useful the basic avisynth framework is (not just for restoration work), I kick myself that I didn't tackle it earlier. Simply put, it does a lot of tasks in the audio/video related fields that nothing else can. It can simplify or help with processing tasks to speed some workflows, or complement some workflows. Well worth the time learning.

And if you need specific advice pertaining to your specific transfer, you should post a sample (a picture is worth a thousand words, but a video is worth a million, because it shows the temporal characteristics)
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 5th Nov 2014 at 11:55.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks poisondeathray, you are certainly keeping my spirits up!
    At present I'm having a major computer problem, BSOD related.
    So, I may be off these pages for a few days.
    Do I hear a sigh of relief?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!