VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    At the moment I am running Zorin 8 (Ubuntu 13.10 derivative), and a cheap generic EasyCap usb capture device, what I am trying to accomplish is to grab playback from DVR (DishNetwork), and burn to DVD. A couple of years ago I had a system set up, with a different computer (that died), running Windows 7, I was able to accomplish this after trying several different capture software's. I have once again managed to fill my DVR over halfway full, so I need to move some to disk. I know this capture device will work with this particular DVR, I also know there are Ubuntu drivers for this device, and the device is recognized correctly by the OS. I just need to find a software program that will allow me to capture the stream, convert and it to DVD. I already have a DVD burner program installed so it's not important that I get a program with that feature, but if it does that's ok also. However, most of the software I have found so far for Ubuntu that will actually catch the output of the capture device, is a complete MultiMedia, suite, that is about 4 times larger than what I need. I'm not interested in something that will also work with a camera, or video camera, or mix audio. I'm not a professional multimedia technician I don't need to be able to open a business using just this one piece of software, just a simple capture, convert and possibly burn type software.

I also have a very old pentium 3, desktop sitting in a closet, that I might pull out and use as a dedicated capture computer. I know it's really underpowered, but I think it would work well enough that I could sit between the DVR and a USB external HDD, then use my laptop to burn to disk, so that I don't have my laptop tied up for hours at a time while recording. That is if I can find a software that is light enough on resources that doesn't keep the p3 maxed out constantly.

I will take any and all suggestions, I'm not particular about this, I just don't want to download and run something that is so much bigger than I need it bogs down my computer, not to mention I have a download limit each month, that I can't go over.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I understand dish network is broadcast via satellite so why not buying a dvb card directly (or atsc for the u.s) ?
    Instead of doing digital (broadcast, mpeg2,HD) > analog (dish decoder)>digital (capture card, mpeg2), you'd be doing digital in one go

Personally i use dvbviewer pro + a dvb s2 card since ..ages. It requires little cpu ressources, all that on w7 but it's possible on ubuntu/linux
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. i guess with proper capturing hardware PiTiVi can do. It may require dvbgrab kernel module/driver.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    I understand dish network is broadcast via satellite so why not buying a dvb card directly (or atsc for the u.s) ?
    Instead of doing digital (broadcast, mpeg2,HD) > analog (dish decoder)>digital (capture card, mpeg2), you'd be doing digital in one go

Personally i use dvbviewer pro + a dvb s2 card since ..ages. It requires little cpu ressources, all that on w7 but it's possible on ubuntu/linux
    What you are proposing is not possible with Dish Network satellite service. Using a capture device to record the output of a satellite receiver/DVR is the only option the OP has for making portable recordings. Dish Network encrypts their broadcasts, and requires subscribers to buy or rent equipment from Dish Network to watch or record programming. The available equipment does not include PC cards and conditional access modules that will allow receiving broadcasts. The recordings stored on a Dish Network DVR are also encrypted and can't be copied to a PC and viewed.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 11th Jun 2014 at 22:22. Reason: clarification
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rk4262 View Post
    At the moment I am running Zorin 8 (Ubuntu 13.10 derivative), and a cheap generic EasyCap usb capture device, what I am trying to accomplish is to grab playback from DVR (DishNetwork), and burn to DVD. A couple of years ago I had a system set up, with a different computer (that died), running Windows 7, I was able to accomplish this after trying several different capture software's. I have once again managed to fill my DVR over halfway full, so I need to move some to disk. I know this capture device will work with this particular DVR, I also know there are Ubuntu drivers for this device, and the device is recognized correctly by the OS. I just need to find a software program that will allow me to capture the stream, convert and it to DVD. I already have a DVD burner program installed so it's not important that I get a program with that feature, but if it does that's ok also. However, most of the software I have found so far for Ubuntu that will actually catch the output of the capture device, is a complete MultiMedia, suite, that is about 4 times larger than what I need. I'm not interested in something that will also work with a camera, or video camera, or mix audio. I'm not a professional multimedia technician I don't need to be able to open a business using just this one piece of software, just a simple capture, convert and possibly burn type software.

I also have a very old pentium 3, desktop sitting in a closet, that I might pull out and use as a dedicated capture computer. I know it's really underpowered, but I think it would work well enough that I could sit between the DVR and a USB external HDD, then use my laptop to burn to disk, so that I don't have my laptop tied up for hours at a time while recording. That is if I can find a software that is light enough on resources that doesn't keep the p3 maxed out constantly.

I will take any and all suggestions, I'm not particular about this, I just don't want to download and run something that is so much bigger than I need it bogs down my computer, not to mention I have a download limit each month, that I can't go over.
    I don't use Linux but I'll make a couple of suggestions for less bulky capture programs. Maybe mtvgui would work for what you want to do. http://easycap.blogspot.co.at/p/mtvcgui.html

I have used VLC with a USB capture device but recording options using Windows are limited and I don't know if they are any better using Linux.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A Pentium 3 running a ubuntu 13.10 based distro for a dedicated capture device? Good luck with that. I wouldn't install any ubuntu based distro on a pentium 3.

Lubuntu may work but it's not going to do any media related stuff very well. Or much else. How much RAM?

Anything that old I'd use a more lightweight distro, and if you do be prepared to do some research.

I've looked at the zorin user support forum. It's PITIFUL. The worst I've ever seen. If you're using a ubuntu based distro why not just install real ubuntu and get real support?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you're using a ubuntu based distro why not just install real ubuntu and get real support?
    Probably because the "UNITY" desktop is undesirable.......

I can understand your enthusiasm towards Ubunto, but there are lots of other fish in the sea.

As for the OP problem, why not just get a good old fashioned set-top dvd burner and call it a day?
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The recordings stored on a Dish Network DVR are also encrypted and can't be copied to a PC and viewed.
    This is actually not the case for most of their hardware. Recordings on external HDDs are encrypted, but there are several methods for reading the partition formats of the internal HDDs and copying recordings.

Doing the physical connection is the most annoying part.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The recordings stored on a Dish Network DVR are also encrypted and can't be copied to a PC and viewed.
    This is actually not the case for most of their hardware. Recordings on external HDDs are encrypted, but there are several methods for reading the partition formats of the internal HDDs and copying recordings.

Doing the physical connection is the most annoying part.
    OK, I found another post of yours where you made this claim. Since you know about it, I guess you can provide the OP with instructions/links on how to do this with his Linux PC.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    The info is on the Yahoo Group called PVR Explorer. A Yahoo account is required and then you need to "join" the group before it can be browsed.

I don't really use Linux myself, but I can try to provide some help if rk4262 indicates which model of DVR he is using.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!